Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,705 times

Advertisements

Hi Sanddollar,

Maybe my finches hitched a ride with you during your recent visit here.
Seriously though, we had them every day all summer long and now they have just vanished. Seems early for that to happen here in DE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 AM

271 posts, read 995,397 times
Delaware is a fantastic place for all sorts of bird watching!

Which kinds of finches are you referring to? We live in a woodsy area and see more purple finches / house finches than, for example, gold finches. If you're near fields, you may well see many golds.

These finches stay around all year, but become more drab following breeding season, once the family duties are past. Gold finches are kind of a dull taupe eventually, and purple finches lose much of their brilliance. You should observe visits to your feeders, especially when the weather becomes cold. Late summer and fall provide plenty of seeds of various appealing sorts that may win out over the feeders for a while.

I am noticing that the migratory birds--robins and hummers, for example--are already preparing for the journey. The robins are gathering in large groups; the hummers are at the feeder even more frequently. Hummers usually depart around mid-September.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
This link has a little bit of information about finches and mentions that they do migrate in the northernmost states but should be living year round in our area: American Goldfinch, Life History, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology I have not found that to be true. Maybe they just go to someone else's house but I take down most of my finch feeders in October and just leave the most popular one up for the hardy few that stick around. When I've left up multiple feeders, I've found the seed goes bad before it's eaten. I live in PA, but haven't found too much difference in the birds up here as there were where I grew up in Delaware.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,705 times
Have your goldfinches disappeared as well? After reading all the info posted, I think maybe ours have gone onto other chow.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM

392 posts, read 990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Have your goldfinches disappeared as well? After reading all the info posted, I think maybe ours have gone onto other chow.
I think mine are with yours..........LOL...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM

144 posts, read 360,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
...I was just out to Delaware last week doing one thing after another and found time to run down there Thursday to see how things are progressing. I was on the way to the outlet mall at Rehoboth and decided to go take a quick look at Roesville. I counted 8 or 9 houses (not counting the completed models). The outside of the new Palmer was up, but I saw only boards through the open door and windows. I didn't have an appointment set up with Kathy to tour it, so unfortunately can't give you any more details. Still no ground breaking that I can tell of a clubhouse, but I know they will have one someday. Not thinking about making a report here, I didn't spend much time, so I can't say how many houses looked lived in. The landscaping on the finished homes did look very nice, tho.

Although the development seems far away from Dover and its shopping, it is fairly close to Hwy 1. I think it took me about 5 minutes to drive to Frederica and another couple minutes to get to the highway. From there, it's probably only 20-25 minutes to the base and another 10 or so to Target and Safeway, depending on traffic. I expect that shopping in Millford is not that far away, either.

BTW, I also found a really fine new campground just north of Rehoboth Beach, called Cedar Creek. It's a Good Sam club and very clean, brand new, beautiful pool, great facilities.

(I'm sure glad Charlie started this thread back up again. I tend to ramble, and the forum police would have had to rein me back in otherwise. )

I enjoyed my visit with my mom, kids/grandkids and dinner with Eliza and her sweet hubby the other night. But, I hafta tell ya, it sure was hot and humid. I was glad to get back home to 68 degrees in Michigan.
My husband and I visited Roesville over the holiday weekend. The club house has not even broken ground yet. Kathy Engel is no longer working there. One of the occupied houses had a for rent sign in the window, which I found a little discouraging.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Oh that is discouraging. I guess no more homes have been built then. My understanding was the clubhouse wasn't going to be built til some time in 2011 which does seem a way off for the residents there now (although I understand that they prob. want more homes sold). Did you visit any other promising communities? Thx for the update.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
My husband and I visited Roesville over the holiday weekend. The club house has not even broken ground yet. Kathy Engel is no longer working there. One of the occupied houses had a for rent sign in the window, which I found a little discouraging.
DeeD,

I knew about Kathy no longer being a Roesville, but I did not know about this "for rent" issue. From everything I've read - including the ownership agreement - rentals are not permitted at Roesville. Can you tell me more?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,670,016 times
The market just is not doing well and many builders are loosing. Even here......we only put 2 homes in this summer. Should of been more than that.
I am just glad the clubhouse and pool is already in.

There are 2 homes for rent at SM. Not sure what the reason is but the residents had a meeting with the own and these are the only 2 homes that will be rented..
I just wish the economy would pick up for everyone sakes.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 AM

144 posts, read 360,927 times
[quote=Charley;10672210]DeeD,

I knew about Kathy no longer being a Roesville, but I did not know about this "for rent" issue. From everything I've read - including the ownership agreement - rentals are not permitted at Roesville. Can you tell me more?

Thanks[/quo

Regarding the "For Rent sign": My husband and I drove down the the block after the models and the second to last house facing toward the models had a small sign in the window "For Rent". I am assuming that it meant the whole house and not just a room. My husband said he is going to call the Director of Sales at Roesville whom we met to ask him. We had so many questions that day it slipped our mind. The Palmer model that was just built but needs to be finished inside was built for someone, so there are a total of 11 homes, 4 are models, 1 is a builder spec home, (The Mayfair), the home for rent, and the just built Palmer for a home buyer, and 4 occupied homes. I have to leave for work now, will get back to you about our visit to Spring Arbor and Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware