Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times

Advertisements

Yes, a scaling is around that price. My problem is I need either root planing which I believe is a deep cleaning with scaling and antibiotics applied under the gums or get the laser treatment which is suppose to be 99% better. Now if I can get enough credit to cover this that is what I will do and just pay it off as quickly as I can to avoid to much interest. The root planing is only about $1,000 less and it will have to be redone eventually but the laser is a one time deal with future cleanings needed only. I use to have dental insurance but my health insurance decided to drop it when I retired. I guess that is becoming quite common with health insurance compaines lately--dropping the dental--to costly for the insurance companies. Sad...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 05:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I believe you are either being misled, or you are not understanding.

Laser root planing doesn't prevent the need for future root planing. If you have periodontitis today, and get the root planing, you can still develop periodontitis in a year and need it again.

If you don't have periodontitis, then you don't need root planing. Removing whatever bacteria is there -today- (meaning, presently) doesn't prevent bacteria from building up -tomorrow- (meaning, in the future).

Root planing is a standard treatment for periodontitis. Laser root planing has been shown to go deeper into the pockets than standard root planing with non-laser surgical instruments, and the ADA was optimistic as of 2009 and was hoping for more data coming in from dental research groups. I haven't seen any updates though so I don't know if there was new data for them or not.

But nowhere, except for the laser instrument distributors, is there even a -hint- that this procedure would prevent future calculus and bacteria buildup. Whereas most "sales dentists" (as I call the ones who push the Zoom whitening and oral cancer tongue swab tests on all their patients) will recommend root scaling every 3 months, most "medically-oriented dentists" (as I call the ones who aren't trying to sell anything other than good dental hygeine and solutions to existing problems) will not recommend root planing at all, unless there's evidence of periodontitis, or a long-lived over-obvious buildup (meaning, the calculus is coming out from the root, and covering the visible part of the teeth to the extent that it looks like a really ugly malformed cap was put on the tooth, when in fact it's just calculus buildup).

And even then, when that happens, the usual medically-oriented dentist would arrange for that buildup to be eliminated, the gums healed properly, and instructions to the patient to brush properly and floss daily, replace their toothbrush at least once every 3 months, quit smoking, and limit coffee and cola intake (too much cola, regardless of what sweetens it, can obliterate healthy teeth). And, of course, get a dental checkup and _normal_ professional cleaning once a year if you have no known dental problems, twice a year if you've had a history of them.

It is the patient's own dental hygiene and maintenance that has the -most profound- effect on his teeth. The planing and scaling is most often done, when the patient's self-care has somehow fallen short.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM

I totally agree---it is up to the patient to take care of their gums-teeth after they get the root planing. Once a person gets perdontial problems it is a lifetime problem but it can be controlled by the care a patient gives his/her oral hygene. But...the laser treatment is the most successful treatment as far as any go at this time to get the problem under control so the patient can begin taking care of his or her oral hygene. This is much a less intrusive treatment (laser) and I am all for that! I have not heard any bad opinions yet and I have done extensive research about this. Like the laser eye surgery there has been basically all good results. I like the idea of them not digging around in my gums and around my teeth, possibly loosening up my teeth and then putting in antibiotics with more treatments needed in the future. It is just common sense to me. Yes, laser treatments will need to be followed up with a watchful eye of your periodontist and it will be up to you to take care of your mouth to keep it in healthy condition but it can be done. Not so much with just the scaling or the old fashioned root planing--so I am willing to take the jump and try this new and hopefully better way to take care of this problem. It may be more out of pocket now but in the long run it may just cost less and save my teeth! My new dentist is very optimistic about it and he isn't even the Dr doing the laser work. I am not a Dr, dentist just a patient. But I have to believe in someone and if it saves my teeth then that is the whole point. Sure the money and the price is crazy---I don't like it----but I can work so it's what I will do.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Saying "periodontitis is a lifelong problem" once you've had it, is incorrect. It -can- be a lifelong problem, but some people have it, get it treated, correct their hygiene, and never get it again. As I said, the #1 cause of it, is poor hygiene. It isn't the only cause, but it's the biggest cause. Not getting *normal* dental cleaning once or twice a year is a big contributory factor. But if you brush properly, floss regularly, keep cola and coffee intake to a minimum (a cup of coffee a day and a couple of sodas per week won't usually cause problems), and get once or twice-yearly *normal* dental cleanings, your odds of ever getting periodontitis, OR continuing to get it after it's been treated and corrected once, is minimal.

Again - laser or any other deep scaling technique is not indicated as a "preventative" measure against the possibility of developing periodontitis, -nor- does it prevent it from returning once you've had it. In addition, having it, is not a guarantee you will always have it. How you take care of your -own- teeth is much more of an indication of the potential future of your dental health, than anything else.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Saying "periodontitis is a lifelong problem" once you've had it, is incorrect. It -can- be a lifelong problem, but some people have it, get it treated, correct their hygiene, and never get it again. As I said, the #1 cause of it, is poor hygiene. It isn't the only cause, but it's the biggest cause. Not getting *normal* dental cleaning once or twice a year is a big contributory factor. But if you brush properly, floss regularly, keep cola and coffee intake to a minimum (a cup of coffee a day and a couple of sodas per week won't usually cause problems), and get once or twice-yearly *normal* dental cleanings, your odds of ever getting periodontitis, OR continuing to get it after it's been treated and corrected once, is minimal.

Again - laser or any other deep scaling technique is not indicated as a "preventative" measure against the possibility of developing periodontitis, -nor- does it prevent it from returning once you've had it. In addition, having it, is not a guarantee you will always have it. How you take care of your -own- teeth is much more of an indication of the potential future of your dental health, than anything else.
Thank you! At first your response irratated me a little---like I didn't understand this situation but as I reread it I am better understanding you are really just trying to point out some very important things that I need to consider. I am comfortable with my new Periodontist and he does think laser is the best way to go--and--he makes about twice the amount of money doing it that way! That may be why he prefers doing laser! I hate to think that because I am so in need to be able to trust this Dr. I had an abcess and do have some deep pockets but no bone loss, no loose teeth. Because of what you posted I am now considering having the traditional less expensive treatment done for my gums. I have full intentions of never letting my teeth or gums get in this condition again--believe me--I will take care of them properly. I quit smoking a few years ago, don't drink soda pop and maybe drink 2 cups of coffee a day. My problem is when I moved 5 years ago I didn't have a dentist--I went to a new one and was not at all happy with him and his prices nearly did me in. I'm still paying that off! So I went a couple of years without any cleanings or checkups and it doesn't take long when we get older for our teeth to develope problems. Especially when certain medications can cause problems too. Well now I have learned the hard way and it won't happen again. Meantime I have done some reading regarding the laser treatments and although it all sounds pretty good it doesn't sound that much better then the tried and true old fashion root planing. For $2,000 I can deal with more pain! This is something I will openly discuss with my Periodontist. Fingers crossed--I am so trusting and have such a hard time speaking up for myself. Send some positive thoughts my way!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 11-01-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
quit smoking, and limit coffee and cola intake (too much cola, regardless of what sweetens it, can obliterate healthy teeth).
Black coffee is bad for teeth? I'm not talking about discoloring them.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Not sure but I think it's the caffeine that is bad and of course coffee stains the teeth too.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Not sure but I think it's the caffeine that is bad and of course coffee stains the teeth too.
Black coffee has essentially no calories so it's like sipping hot water. I can't fathom how that's bad for your teeth. The staining is purely a cosmetic issue which can be reversed with bleaching.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Out of curousity I Googled it--it is the caffeine--it can create dry mouth which causes bacteria.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Out of curousity I Googled it--it is the caffeine--it can create dry mouth which causes bacteria.
I heard a story on NPR a few years back saying that this was an old wive's tale. Caffeinated coffee is slightly less hydrating than other fluids but it's not a diuretic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health