Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 AM

382 posts, read 1,921,933 times

Advertisements

OK, so I have discomfort and some pain between tooth # 14 and #15.

I always try to receive different opinions. In this case I got 3 of them, and they turned out to be completely different. I went to three different DMDs with same x-ray series and told them the same symptoms of course. Here is the outcome:

DMD 1 --- the tooth # 14 needs immediate root canal as the old filling is very close to the nerve and you might loose the tooth if RC is not done within 1 month.

DMD 2 --- the tooth # 14 does not need root canal. The old filling must be replaced. (I asked if the filling is close to the nerve and the answer was "no")

DMD 3 --- I do not see any issues here. Just floss daily.

OK, so, the only reason I went to 3rd DMD is in hope of getting the same opinion as DMD 1 or DMD 2. Then, would have gotten the treatment that got two "votes".

But DMD 3 shocked me -- lol.

Are the doctors that "knowledgeable" nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I think that this is representative of a lot in our current health care industry.

Do your teeth hurt?

If not, then dont worry about it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,933 times
yes tooth # 14 hurts, and what am I suppose to do? Go to 4th dentist? I only get few initial consultations covered by my insurance per year.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
DMD 1 wants to root canal #14

DMD 2 wants to replace the filling on #14

DMD 3 says you have no issues.

And yet your in pain. I guess that means DMD3 is off-base.

A root canal is more expensive then a filling. Go for the filling. I recommend removing the mercury and replacing it with porcelain.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Porcelain isn't a filling material, it's an indirect restoration material (such as onlays, crowns, and veneers).

The appropriate filling material for a cavity is either amalgam or composite. Composite has the shorter lifespan because it shrinks over time. Amalgam expands over time and -can- cause stress fractures to the teeth, though most people don't experience that because there's usually "out" for the expansion to go.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,706 times
If you want yet another opinion, get one from an endodontist.

As someone who has been having similar issues recently (including wildly different opinions from multiple dentists), this is what I would do:

Have a dentist remove the filling and put in a sedative temporary filling. If your tooth stops hurting with the sedative filling, then get a permanent filling placed. The sedative fillings don't last all that long, but they have chemicals (like clove oil) that calm the nerve in the tooth.

If your tooth still hurts with the sedative filling, get a referral to an endodontist for evaluation and root canal. The first maxillary molars (#3 and #14) are the most difficult teeth to rct successfully (these teeth have multiple roots that can be hard to find and access), and endodontists have lots of experience and special tools for the job. It will cost more than having a general dentist do a rct, but the success rate is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health