Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

I had five teeth removed in a hour or less. How do the oral surgeon remove them so fast? Do they cut the jaw bone or gums, drill a hole in the tooth to weaken it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out, the bottom two took more than an hour each, they were so impacted. The following January when I went in to have the other two out (once my insurance kicked in again for the new year), I was expecting the same thing ... but they were out in about 5 minutes each. So in my case it depended on whether they were impacted or not.

Hope you're not too sore! I looked like a chipmunk for a couple of days.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
It depends on the teeth and their placement in the gum. They might've been already loose and easy to yank out with just a forceps. Or maybe one or two of them were, and one or two might only have needed to be cracked and then yanked out in one or two pieces.

They wouldn't have cut the jawbone, but they might've cut into the gum to get the forceps down for leverage when they pull the tooth out.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
My front teeth was removed because I'm getting top full denture. Three front teeth and one root canal with crown tooth and in the back molar tooth.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My front teeth was removed because I'm getting top full denture. Three front teeth and one root canal with crown tooth and in the back molar tooth.
Front teeth probably would've come out pretty easily, if you were "asleep" for it or had conscious sedation. A forceps, a few pretty harsh twists and turns, and it'd sort of "peel" out of the gum. Kind of like pulling up a sapling from the ground. The molar might have had to be cracked and the pieces taken out one at a time. And the root canal might have needed a little cutting to get under the post.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Front teeth probably would've come out pretty easily, if you were "asleep" for it or had conscious sedation. A forceps, a few pretty harsh twists and turns, and it'd sort of "peel" out of the gum. Kind of like pulling up a sapling from the ground. The molar might have had to be cracked and the pieces taken out one at a time. And the root canal might have needed a little cutting to get under the post.
Tinfoil indeed. Forceps? Hardly, they will use an elevator and then forceps. Before any extraction there is an x-ray to determine the depth and other factors affecting the extraction. This information along with patient history determines the proper procedure to be used for the extraction. There is no getting out the forceps and using some pretty harsh twists and turns.

Extracting a tooth with a root canal does not always require getting under the post. Utter nonsense. In many cases the post length is undermined and it comes out readily. There is no cutting to get under it. In other cases the post might be modified and left in place.

Where does your gift of medical knowledge come from, its almost always wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health