Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

You should be skipping every other X-ray unless you have decay or other problems, according to the FDA. They recommend once every 12-36 months. No X-rays for kids if they can see the whole tooth and they have no problems.

[url=http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/MedicalImaging/MedicalX-Rays/ucm116504.htm]The Selection of Patients for Dental Radiographic Examinations[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrik View Post
You should be skipping every other X-ray unless you have decay or other problems, according to the FDA. They recommend once every 12-36 months. No X-rays for kids if they can see the whole tooth and they have no problems.

The Selection of Patients for Dental Radiographic Examinations
If they can see the whole tooth, then there ARE problems. Teeth don't just float on top of the gum. Half of them are under the gum, where the dentist can't see - without xrays.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:45 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrik View Post

The Selection of Patients for Dental Radiographic Examinations

Yes, forget all that nonsense about prevention and early detection - just wait until you are in shooting pain and can see it with the naked eye before you do something about it, which by the way is going to be very painful to treat and also cost you a lot of $$$. It's like waiting until AFTER you had a heart attack to get a physical.

And since I have x-ray vision, I don't need to take an X-ray of a kid to see if their permanent teeth are developing properly or if they even have all of those teeth developing. I'll just wait until their teeth are so crooked they can eat an apple through a picket fence before deciding that we should do 3-5 years worth of braces during their high school prom and graduation photos at $5000-8000 instead of early jaw expanders which would dramatically shorten the time and decrease the cost. Also I'll just wait until every other tooth is in their mouth and have you wonder why that front tooth never came in, leaving them toothless during their teenage years instead of realizing that the tooth was congenitally missing during development and, anticipating this, correct it with a cosmetic solution early so they wouldn't be the laughing stock of their peers.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:57 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin man View Post
I just love the smug condescension that comes up all the time with this topic wherever I go where people feel the need to lecture someone simply because they don't want to be zapped with radiation just for the benefit of having a simple professional teeth cleaning.

I realize there are those like you that want to lecture, lecture, lecture and have a debate. Apparently, there is no room for someone who simply wants a cleaning but I guess you feel better for having drone on repeating something all of us have heard countless times. ZZZZ
I just love the smug condescension that comes up all the time with this attitude about dental cleanings. Since the cleaning is apparently so simple, why don't you do it on yourself at home and skip the dentist visit all together. You can literally buy all the equipment you need on eBay. That way you can avoid those greedy dentists who absurdly believe their practice is more than a "cleaning station".

Old 08-15-2015, 09:10 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I just love the smug condescension that comes up all the time with this attitude about dental cleanings. Since the cleaning is apparently so simple, why don't you do it on yourself at home and skip the dentist visit all together. You can literally buy all the equipment you need on eBay. That way you can avoid those greedy dentists who absurdly believe their practice is more than a "cleaning station".
It's the same people who ask me why I get paid so much to just "pick teeth" all day. My four years of schooling was merely a formality. I didn't learn anything that would impact their health. I'm just stabbing them in the gums and MAKING THEM BLEED.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 AM

83 posts, read 104,527 times
I agree that every time x-ray is not necessary, but the dentists used to prefer this for the safety of their patients. X-ray shows the hidden problem. If you have any kind of affordable dental plans then you will cost less for this. You can skip doing x-ray if you don't have any other kind of dental issue.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:22 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,483 times
I did it. Said no. The dentist was fine with it.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 AM

10 posts, read 30,565 times
I attempted to discover a dentist that would clean teeth on the first visit and was unsuccessful. They all need to do the x-ray first and after that give the time for cleaning.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
All you need to do, is have your x-rays from the past year transferred to the new dentist's office before you show up for your appointment. You don't need to take new x-rays, if you already had them in the past year - UNLESS there is an obvious problem spot (such as - the doctor sees a crack in the tooth, or severe gum recession, or a missing filling, or so much tartar buildup on the teeth that it's obvious you haven't been to a dentist in a decade, for example).

Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 AM

780 posts, read 678,715 times
I don't know any place in US for that, but in Canada, they never do an Xray to clean my teeth. They do the Xray after, to check for cavities and if they find one, that's a different visit. Cleaning is always separate from filling cavities, at least for us. Unless you don't want to know if you have cavities, you won't really have need to get Xray. Well, I think you can refuse. I can't imagine why you couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health