Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's no thymol in tea tree or peppermint oil. There are no essential oils that contain "thymols" (plural). There are essential oils that contain thymol (singular). Thymol isn't a category of things. It's a singular thing.

If I did oil pulling, brushed my teeth, and flossed, I'd STILL go to the dentist twice a year. I haven't needed a filling since I was a little girl, and I've never needed whitening. My dental visit includes a cleaning and yearly x-rays, and I pay around $100 per year for the two visits and professional cleaning and full set of x-rays.

Oil pulling isn't what's keeping you out of the dentist's office. You are what's keeping you out of the dentist's office. You should be going anyway, to make sure that what you're doing is enough. The reason for that: if what you're doing isn't enough, and you don't get it checked in time to prevent it from getting worse, then by the time you DO find out how bad it is, it'll be bad enough to cost you a WHOLE lot more than $440 with insurance to fix it.

Edited to post my non-dentist expenses:

Toothbrush - I pay $20 for an Oral B electric once every 4 years (because the rechargable battery eventually stops taking a charge), and pick up a 6-pack of brush heads for $20 once a year from BJ's.

Floss: I get that free when I go to the dentist's office, twice a year. The hygienist stocks me up with a few hundred yards of Glide, and a few dozen floss threaders for my bridge. I supplement that with a 100-pack of thread-tipped flossers for $3.99 once a year on sale at CVS and use a coupon so I end up paying around $1.49.

Pulling: I buy Listerine in the enormous two-pack for $20, it lasts me two years because I use it only a few times a week, diluted.

So in total, I'm paying approximately $45 per YEAR for home-maintenence of my dental health. Plus the yearly checkups and x-rays that you should be getting, whether you take care of your teeth at home or not.

To the previous poster pushing those Bass toothbrushes - how many do you buy? You're only getting one toothbrush, for $1.50, and paying $6 for shipping, and not buying anymore all year long? Nice buy by the way - they're sold for $2.75 each on the Bass website. You sure you're getting the real deal and not a cheap Chinese knockoff? Or are you actually getting Dr. Bass Butler toothbrushes, which you can buy for $1.50 at CVS and not have to pay any shipping at all?

You should be replacing your toothbrushes at least once every 1-2 months. If you're not, then you're not getting the benefit from the brush that you should be getting. So multiply that $1.50 by however many replacements you get every year, plus the appropriate additional shipping (unless you buy a year's worth all at once), and THEN tell us how much it's costing you. Same with the floss, and the oil, and the essential oils you think contain thymol but don't.
Your maintenance products are still more than what I speak of but OOOOOOOOOOkay

People just go to buypoh.com and check for yourselves...educate yourselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Mine cost 15 dollars a year, and that includes high quality hair, mouth/teeth, skin cleansers and moisturizers.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Mine cost 15 dollars a year, and that includes high quality hair, mouth/teeth, skin cleansers and moisturizers.
I actually over inflated the pricing just to give the dentist pricing a fighting chance. You can find it locally if you contact POH or a health food store along with the essential oils of your choice and you only need several drops of the essential oil and still have enough for many other uses.

I bought a couple of dozen brushes and two spools of their floss so all was shipped together...only makes sense. Also mixed my oils and placed in a 24oz Golosh bottle which should last about a year but I'm not sure; it depends on how often I oil pull

Last edited by eyewrist; 06-28-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM
MJ7

Quote:
I actually over inflated the pricing just to give the dentist pricing a fighting chance. You can find it locally if you contact POH or a health food store along with the essential oils of your choice and you only need several drops of the essential oil and still have enough for many other uses.

I bought a couple of dozen brushes and two spools of their floss so all was shipped together...only makes sense. Also mixed my oils and placed in a 24oz Golosh bottle which should last about a year.
Nice, I literally use sea salt and extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed) for everything health. I do the oil cleansing method for my skin and use it as a moisturizer and cleanser, I use it for pulling, and I just make some concentrated sea salt water for my hair, cleans very nice. With the sea salt, EVOO and toothbrush it's around 15 bucks. Before this I was spending loads of money, the only other thing I spend money on is hair cuts and clothing, which isn't that much either.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Nice, I literally use sea salt and extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed) for everything health. I do the oil cleansing method for my skin and use it as a moisturizer and cleanser, I use it for pulling, and I just make some concentrated sea salt water for my hair, cleans very nice. With the sea salt, EVOO and brush it's around 15 bucks. Before this I was spending loads of money, the only other thing I spend money on is hair cuts and clothing, which isn't that much either.
I also use sea salt, olive oil, vinegar regularly for multiple uses for the body, the bathroom to the backyard...simple, cost effective and multiple uses for $15. Agreed

Last edited by eyewrist; 06-28-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 12:18 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Most dentists recommend oil pulling along with regular brushing. They say it's just a replacement for mouthwash. If you tried it for a solid few months you would be shocked as to what it can do. It cleans very well and makes your teeth white.
MJ7, in post #11 you said you started oil pulling on 25 June, 2014. So 3 Earth days right?

In this thread we've touched upon amalgam of mercury fillings, fluoridated water, the dental industry profit motive / oil pulling suppression conspiracy, sea salt, and flagrant abuse of the letter "O". ("OOOOOOOOOOkay" ) I even took a shot at flushing out some alkaline waterists.

What is left to discuss? RDH35, are there any dental vaccinations? What is Dr. J. McCarthy's stance on oil pulling? How about civet coffee pulling? <evil>

Are Eyewrist and MJ7 agents of the Edible Oils Advancement Council? BuyPoh.com?

AnonChick, tinfoil hats abound and we have miles to go before we sleep.

Last edited by jayway; 06-28-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
MJ7, in post #11 you said you started oil pulling on 25 June, 2014. So 3 Earth days right?

In this thread we've touched upon amalgam of mercury fillings, fluoridated water, the dental industry profit motive / oil pulling suppression conspiracy, sea salt, and flagrant abuse of the letter "O". ("OOOOOOOOOOkay" ) I even took a shot at flushing out some alkaline waterists.

What is left to discuss? RDH35, are there any dental vaccinations? What is Dr. J. McCarthy's stance on oil pulling? How about civet coffee pulling? <evil>

Are Eyewrist and MJ7 agents of the Edible Oils Advancement Council? BuyPoh.com?

AnonChick, tinfoil hats abound and we have miles to go before we sleep.
Yes, did I say that I have done oil pulling longer?

I believe we are allowed to have a discussion on this forum for as long as we would like.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

People just go to buypoh.com and check for yourselves...educate yourselves
Regardless of the cost, there is still no thymol in essential oil of peppermint or essential oil of tea tree. So you're just incorrect on that. You were incorrect about mercury in amalgam fillings. You're incorrect about the spelling of the word Okay. And the only comeback you have when confronted with your own lack of knowledge is that I should go to a commercial website that exists to sell hygiene products, and that this somehow should result in my being educated.

You have no credibility here.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Most dentists recommend oil pulling along with regular brushing. They say it's just a replacement for mouthwash. If you tried it for a solid few months you would be shocked as to what it can do. It cleans very well and makes your teeth white.
You imply that YOU have tried it for a solid few months, which is why you think I would be shocked as to what it can do. If you haven't done it for a solid few months, why would you think I would be shocked at what it can do? What frame of reference have you to go by? Three days experience in trying it? You've tried this for three days, and are already such an expert on the subject that you know I'd be shocked if I'd tried it for a solid few months.

As I've already mentioned, I don't need teeth whitening, my teeth aren't stained. The last time I needed fillings was a few years before High School - and I graduated High School in 1979. I've never pulled, I don't pull, I've never had a doctor or dentist recommend it, suggest it, or even mention it casual conversation. I recognize that it's one method of rinsing your mouth, but it certainly isn't the only method, nor is it the most efficient, or the most pleasant, or the most natural, nor does it offer any benefits other than rinsing your mouth, which you can much more cheaply and easily achieve with plain old normal tap-water.

There is nothing oil pulling can do for me, that a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss won't do. And there is plenty that a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss, and regular dental checkups, can do to benefit my dental health that oil pulling cannot do. And you STILL have to go to a dentist twice a year for regular checkups and yearly x-rays, if you want to call yourself a person who takes personal responsibility for their own health. Otherwise, you're playing russian roulette with your mouth and assuming that oil will prevent a bullet from hitting.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You imply that YOU have tried it for a solid few months, which is why you think I would be shocked as to what it can do. If you haven't done it for a solid few months, why would you think I would be shocked at what it can do? What frame of reference have you to go by? Three days experience in trying it? You've tried this for three days, and are already such an expert on the subject that you know I'd be shocked if I'd tried it for a solid few months.

As I've already mentioned, I don't need teeth whitening, my teeth aren't stained. The last time I needed fillings was a few years before High School - and I graduated High School in 1979. I've never pulled, I don't pull, I've never had a doctor or dentist recommend it, suggest it, or even mention it casual conversation. I recognize that it's one method of rinsing your mouth, but it certainly isn't the only method, nor is it the most efficient, or the most pleasant, or the most natural, nor does it offer any benefits other than rinsing your mouth, which you can much more cheaply and easily achieve with plain old normal tap-water.

There is nothing oil pulling can do for me, that a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss won't do. And there is plenty that a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss, and regular dental checkups, can do to benefit my dental health that oil pulling cannot do. And you STILL have to go to a dentist twice a year for regular checkups and yearly x-rays, if you want to call yourself a person who takes personal responsibility for their own health. Otherwise, you're playing russian roulette with your mouth and assuming that oil will prevent a bullet from hitting.
Do what you wish, just don't act like you know it all and that everything you do is the best for others, everyone is different. That would be an elitist attitude and not many like it.

I never implied myself using oil pulling longer than a few days, in fact it you was that implied this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health