Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times

Advertisements

Well, I just started using the Sonic Care and now have areas of my gums that hurt and are swollen. I have periodontitis and maybe it's only coincidence I now need two teeth removed as the gums are swollen and I fail the cold test in the dentist's office (which means the teeth have been compromised). I don't blame in on the Sonic Care though. I blame it on not enough dental hygiene. One thing I am good about though is flossing, but I still have some 6 pockets which is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
Several years ago, my dentist suggested the Rota-Dent - I was brushing too hard with a regular tooth brush and it was causing the gum to recede, exposing a portion of my tooth that was to remain protected by the gum. The Rota-Dent is specifically designed to stop spinning if you push too hard - that way you can't do damage.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Default Oral-b FlexiSoft / Precision

I am using a Oral-B rechargeable electric brush since last year. I get the FlexiSoft (now called Precision) rotating heads to go with it. It really makes a big difference as to how clean my teeth get. Particularly the ones in the back. I don't find it is too harsh on my gums. The brush is soft. The only complaint I have is that the replacement heads are so pricey. I brush several times a day and replace the head every 2 months. A pack of three are around $25-$30.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,458 times
Default good discount replacement heads

I have to agree that the replacement heads for these electric brushes are pretty steap. I have an Oral-B Vitality and used to buy my brushheads at CVS or Costco, until I had enough and started looking for a cheaper alternative. There are not that many generic brands in the market and honestly I am not sure I would trust them. I found a few websites selling the real thing but at a serious discount. Here is one.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glam-Pharm/195695793826150?sk=app_135607783795[/url]

Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM

15 posts, read 28,720 times
I got a Rotadent because my periodontist recommended it. I used the same brush for 9 months and then had a checkup. She said to replace the brush head every 3 months because the filaments will degrade and become rougher, causing them to be more abrasive to my gums.

She also said that she suggested using antiseptic mouthwash with the brush to get at the bacteria under the gums.

Anyway, it seems Zila provides the lifetime guarantee because you have to replace the brushes (recommended 4 times per year which would be about $50, from Zila). Seems reasonable to me, except that they have to prevent their customers from finding competitors willing to make and sell replacement brushes for less, plus the "lifetime guarantee" is only good as long as there's a company there to honor it.

They come in packs of three for $12 each, or one at a time for $15, from the site above.

I haven't used the Oral-B.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
I'm very happy with my Oral B - my hygienist even recommends it (although she pushes the more expensive model than I have. I alternate brushing with it and my regular toothbrush and my perio has improved immensely. I am fanatic about using waterpik and flossing also.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
I've had a rot advent for 4 yrs and I love it! Brush heads are expensive but worth it to keep my teeth clean. Last year, I had to call rots dent because mine does not hold a charge longer than 2 brush sessions. The customer service rep was super in e and I got a new handle/charger within a week, just had to pay for shipping!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM

26 posts, read 60,769 times
I've never tried the Rotadent and I'm a RDH, but I tried both the Oral-B and Sonicare and I like the Sonicare better.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 AM

178 posts, read 355,378 times
I have been using Oral-b for years now and it is much satisfactory. I used the automated tooth brush. Its so flexible, its head rotates back and forth, cleans each tooth thoroughly. what I dont like about rota dent is its oscillatory motion. but anyway any toothbrush is better than no toothbrush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health