Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

I do floss. My teeth are very tight/ close together and "stuff" gets stuck in between them. Implants are expensive and don't always work, so if I can possibly prevent cavities and tooth loss by flossing, I will.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 PM

652 posts, read 681,956 times
I'm guilty of not flossing my teeth and having big fingers doesn't help.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I can't stand NOT flossing; it feels gross. All of us kids started really early, before flossing was well known. My Dad was a pharmaceutical sales rep and brought home all kinds of samples - floss was one of them. None of the other kids I knew ever flossed. It's paid off for me - I still have a baby tooth at age 66!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
The other reason I floss after being very skeptical of DH and Dentist....when you floss and the food pops out it smells nasty some times.......food cooking in between your teeth

Lastly my Mom's dentures were 15k so I will keep flossing.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I think gum disease may get worse with aging. I've had periodontal disease for years and floss at least 5-6 times a week and often 7 and have cleanings 4 times a year. But at age 60, I'm starting to have more gum recession and my last checkup was one of my worst ever. I'm not looking forward to those expensive dental implants.
Yes older age is one of the rule-ins for periodontal disease but not ALONE.

Have you had a bone density test?

Have you had a head CAT scan to see if you're even a candidate for implants? That machine is usually available at an oral surgeon who specializes in implants.

You need to. Because if you have osteoporosis the treatment makes implants contraindicated.

Even if you were to get all your teeth replaced with dentures, you'd probably want to anchor them to the 4 implants IF you have enough BONE. The CAT scan will reveal that status. They can't always put enough bone graft material in there for implants, either.

Do you drink/eat sugar? All the flossing in the world will not prevent gumline cavities and other problems if you're randomly eating a bunch of candy/sugar. My office experienced a RASH of decay when the management introduced candy bowls LOL. My dental hygienist's husband got 6 cavities after he had a cold and continued chowing down on cough drops all day long.

Do you have decay or just the gum thing?

Have you been seeing a periodontist?

I'm sure your dentist has asked you all the questions. Diabetes, medications, mouth breathing...FLOSSING WRONG and not brushing.

I'd also add the rubber gum stimulant in, and add an oral irrigator devise to your bathroom faucet and even your shower or kitchen faucet. NOT the Water Pic brand. THIS one:

https://smile.amazon.com/QuickBreeze...oral+irrigator

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/...bone-loss.html

Old 08-28-2016, 08:54 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
The worst stuff is between the teeth. Brushing and not flossing is like wiping your butt cheeks but avoiding the crack.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:56 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
I do

Old 08-29-2016, 01:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I floss so much I can't eat really cold foods now too sensitive.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:46 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm addicted to it. Can't stand the feeling of gums packed with bits of my last meal.
^This. I use placket a every time I ear

Old 09-14-2016, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,760 times
I floss in the front, my fingers are too big and my teeth too tight to do much in the back. Always gets caught up and have to pull the floss out by the end to get it out. So yeah, I just floss the front teeth, though rarely have anything packed in there. I guess I don't eat enough corn and whatever else gets stuck in peoples teeth.

I mostly do it for bad breath. I interface with people all day so doing that and using mouthwash helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health