Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 PM

74 posts, read 183,777 times

Advertisements

I used to use one of those floss picks, but it's not enough. So I purchased an oral flosser ($25 at Amazon), which does wonders, as well as an Oral-B electric toothbrush (regularly $30, on sale for $20 at the store). The damage is already done, but hopefully these help to prevent future issues. The oral flosser has at least helped with cleaning between teeth, and my gums don't bleed. Still have some calculus on on the left quads of my mouth, but I hope to take care of those after my root canal (i.e., when I have more $).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
The more topics I read here in the Dental Health forum, the more I floss!

Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
there was a study that came out a few days ago about flossing. Said it didn't make a difference if you flossed or not.
The Great Flossing Debate of 2016. August 10, 2016 · By Planet DDS

https://www.planetdds.com/2016/08/10...g-debate-2016/

THE INTERRELATIONSHIP BETWEEN OSTEOPOROSIS AND ORAL BONE LOSS

Because of the positive relationship between age and bone loss, the prevalence of osteoporosis increases from 19% among women 65- to 74- years old to more than 50% in women aged 85 years or more. As the elderly population continues to grow, the number of people aged 50 or more with osteoporosis is expected to increase to 12 million by 2010 and to nearly 14 million by 2020.

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/...bone-loss.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
How much floss should I save for retirement?
Depends if you have a bridge (bridges) or not. I have a bridge and this is what I use along with a WaterPik and brushing with a Sonicare toothbrush.

$2.75 per 1 box/50 count @ Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
You gotta be kidding me????? If you want to KEEP your teeth, brush and floss after every meal. Gads! No wonder I don't go on dates or have a boyfriend at my age. Gads !!!
Sure makes sense to me...

Questions and Answers about Gum Disease Transmission

Why is there a concern about transmitting gum disease bacteria?
Studies have shown that bacteria that are associated with more aggressive gum disease can be transmitted between parents and children (the "vertical route") and between spouses or spousal equivalents (the "horizontal route").

Questions and Answers about Gum Disease Transmission

Lame Excuses for Not Flossing and How to Beat Them

Flossing: Getting Past Those Lame Excuses

YES, I floss

Old 03-15-2017, 01:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
I floss twice a day before I brush my teeth, once in the morning and once at night. My step-brother, who is a dentist, said if he had only one choice to either brush or floss (obviously he encourages his patients to do both), he would choose floss.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I do. Every day.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM

258 posts, read 234,428 times
Every day. My children do too. 3 kids, only 1 teeny cavity. 21 years and counting.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Ummmmmmm, yes I do. Can't believe this is a thread lol.

But I would like to know where people put their used floss. After a week there's floss hanging all over my bathroom wastebasket (gross, right? I know) but I've never seen a single strand in another persons house in my half century of taking up chair space. I know when I'm in someone else's house I wrap it up in tissue and throw it in the trash that way so as not to gross anyone out. But what do other flossers do? Or am I the only one I know who flosses?

Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
I throw it in the toilet. I hope that isn't damaging any plumbing. I never thought about it before!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I throw it in the toilet. I hope that isn't damaging any plumbing. I never thought about it before!
Most floss is not biodegradeable, its usually plastic. if you do that on someone septic system you could help ruin it. Even if sewage plants strain out solids like that it would just end up in the landfill, which is where it should go if you put it in your trash can. So I would suggest putting it in the trash.

But this does help answer the question of why I never see it in trash...

Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I've always flossed once a day(at night before bed time before brushing) since i was like 12 yrs old. My problem has been over brushing which has caused my gums to recede over the years. Just a habit that i haven't been quite able to break. I just started using an electric toothbrush which my dentist recommended. She said it will help alot with my habit. I got an oral b one that lights up if i put too much pressure on my teeth, but the problem now is that it never lights up no matter how hard i put pressure on my teeth...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health