Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

I got a gasket partical denture bottom I tried eating its feels werid put a had to eat real slow but ill get it right right so I can eat real well the speech is getting better but the s sound not so good yet I got them today dentist saids to sleep with 24/7 take them out in the moring clean in warm water tablet half an hr put them back in has any one slept with a partical plate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I think you mean a partial plate, not a partical plate. I thought at first this was some kind of brand name and couldn't find anything but changing the spelling came up with a few things. For a "gasket partial plate denture" I was able to find information about a specific product called Cu-Sil. It's basically a full plate with holes in it for your existing teeth to poke through, and the holes are lined with silicone to provide for a snug fit.

You should follow your dentist's instructions. If you're not understanding them, then you need to get back to him and ask for him to meet with you, in person, and walk you through the process.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,010 times
Smile Top and bottom dentures

Hi Everyone,

I have top and bottom dentures. I had the top done September, 2013 and I got the bottoms done May 8, 2014. I had them done separately because I was in school and I didn't know what to expect. I felt that I could handle the top before I was due to graduate in December, 2013. It is almost 2 weeks since the bottoms were done. This is a learning experience that takes patience! I have also been told that the permanent dentures feel a whole lot better in the mouth so I am looking forward to that!

Yesterday, for the first time, I was able to eat a blueberry muffin...yes! Also, today I ate a small bag of Lays potato chips. I did notice that I had to let them rest in my mouth for a few seconds before I started chewing them on the side...Not in the front.

I look forward to getting my permanent dentures in November! Remember, be patient and slowly introduce certain foods back into your life.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 AM

36 posts, read 111,298 times
It will take around 1-2 months to get completely fine. But if you are experiencing severe pain in your teeth then I think you should consult your doctor once and tell him about the situation you are facing.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,658 times
Default Just Had ALL uppers and lowers removed!

OK, this isn't going to help me, but it may help you. I'm 68 and had suffered from tooth pain for MANY years. Thirty years ago the Dentists told me that my gums were receding and I wouldn't have any teeth 6 to 10 years from then (the 1980's). They were wrong. I had so much trouble with Dentists that I have pulled my last four teeth myself (with the help of plenty of Stoli!)

Anyway, as of Monday last, I only had 3 1/2 upper teeth and nine lower teeth left. Three weeks ago I was referred to a very good, local, Oral surgeon. He took several impressions of my teeth and jaws. Then gave me a total cost of $4200, surgery and new dentures (top and bottom). I paid it in full and they scheduled my surgery for two days ago. I went in at 8:30 am, they gave me about nine injections, then came back about 20 minutes later, pulled the teeth while I was fully awake --- and I didn't feel anything but the Dentists pressure on my arm, and the sound of a little cracking as he twisted the tooth to get it to come out.

He had the dentures ready and put them in right after the surgery, then scheduled a follow-up appointment for today (48 hrs later). Instructions from right after the surgery, Don't drink anything too hot or too cold, no drinking through a straw or any type of "sucking" motion until after the re-check (today), and no smoking or alcohol. He gave me a prescription for Vicodin for the pain and a bunch of gauze squares because of the bleeding. He had to do a couple of sutures to close some of the removal areas. Yes, I took a couple of Vicodin, 4 hours apart for the pain, and took some over the counter sleeping pills the first night because of the mouth discomfort. I was told to keep the dentures in until today and he would make any "adjustments".

He did make one adjustment today. The lower dentures had a sharp edge that was bothering my tongue, but now that is fixed. He said I was healing very fast, and re-scheduled another check-up for next Tuesday (5 days from now). He said to keep eating soft foods, and next Tuesday he will take the dentures out and put a "medicated lining" in both of them and at the same time would remove the sutures. The medication would help the removal areas heal much faster. OK, my pain is gone, but I do have some swelling which I take care of with ice packs. I probably won't be eating and steaks for at least 6 to 8 weeks, but my mouth is feeling so much better now! Don't be afraid to have this done!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,792 times
this is an outdated article maybe, but then again I am not someone who cares. If it bothors you when people comment on old posts, you need to go find a life or something. Anyhow I got all of my teeth removed at one time while being totally put under general and local anesthesia. I fell asleep then awoke toothless pretty much. Recovery was short, and within a week I felt fine. However due to homelessness, poverty, lack of help or insurance, no place to sleep etc. I ended up never getting ANY dentures at all at first, no temps and definately no permanent ones. In all I waited and lived with NO teeth for 8 yrs. Then and only then because my lower face is getting lines i hate on it, decided dentures after all these years is a thing to finally try. They put me on a yeaRs waiting list!! because I now have med assistance. It covers full dentures with just a partial payment but takes forever. Someone must start covering full implants, just saying. And I learned to eat toothless quite well. I had to cut out a few foods but generally ate fine for 8 yrs. It took 6 months, not weeks, for them to custom create and fit my top and lower dentures and now I took them home finally. My gums ridges and mouth having had 8 years to heal and shrink fully to where it will generally stay now, made me bypass the entire temporary denture situation with swelling and realigns etc. I just got the one set, and thats that other than a few appts so they can do minor adjustments where it may hurt ect. I have had my full dentures now for just a few days. I could speak 99% perfectly right from the first minute& the dentist commented hed not seen that before. Eating is another situation altogether however. Yes its only been a short time but wow right now this moment, if you asked I would have to say I feel as if Ill never again be able to enjoy foods and have to remive them just to eat. Textures and sensations are very imporatnt to eating, moreso than those just into flavor seem to believe. With my entire hard palette covered not feeling cold and warm is ruining food to me. Ice cream- it only touches the very back of the mouth and the tongue. I can taste it fully, but its the cold on my upper mouth I liked abt it. This is going to be a problem forever for me. The chewing may improve( I hope) because chewing even a soft item creeped me out horribly. Having even one particulate beneath my denture is going to make me insne because I have OCD, anxiety and panic disorder. To me having even residue of a meal left in the mouth is dirty and needs to be gone NOW. Even with my real teeth I obsessively picked at , cleaned off, brushed and removed. I have no clue how Im going to be able to ever eat, say- hamburger. Having a piece of that stuck against my gums by plastic ? Even the idea of that makes me gag.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
This is one of the reasons many dentist don't make dentures. It's extremely difficult to make patients realize what they are getting and to get them to understand what their expectations should be. Dentures are not a replacement for teeth. They are a replacement for not having teeth. They only provide 10% of the chewing capacity of real teeth. Many people actually remove their dentures to eat. Imagine having a plastic hand and trying to pick up a glass of water or trying to write with a pencil. It's mainly cosmetic and just doesn't work well. A denture is a piece of plastic floating in an ocean of spit. The only predictable way to improve this is with implants to hold the dentures in place.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,521 times
I had extractions and got my dentures all in one day. They are extremely painful to wear. I had to take them off. I was gaging. I couldnt even close my mouth. I went back the next morning, They made a few adjustments. Althought they don't cause the pain as severe anymore they still hurt. I still can't wear them.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenaslzr View Post
I had extractions and got my dentures all in one day. They are extremely painful to wear. I had to take them off. I was gaging. I couldnt even close my mouth. I went back the next morning, They made a few adjustments. Althought they don't cause the pain as severe anymore they still hurt. I still can't wear them.
Pain is normal. Not only did you just have surgery, but now you're pressing a piece of plastic against an area where you just had surgery. It would be like having your toe nails pulled out then putting on a tight pair of boots.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,450 times
I need to know why my Dentist(Western) did not tell me the options for getting bottom teeth pulled. When I had any single tooth removed I got stitches, BUT when I had my Eight teeth remove from the bottom to get dentures no stitches were provided. Is it because I am under a CHEAPER dental plan. My gums are not healing correctly and I have not eaten well in 23 days and drastically losing weight, ( I can't afford weight loss) Any Suggestion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health