Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,790 times

Advertisements

My seventh day after full upper and lower extractions and immediate top of the line from aspen dental been adjusted once . Need it again tomorrow , eating is a horror show but they look good lol. They say that it will be ok but still on the fence as to whether I made a mistake, however, in 6 months when I get the implants put in and they are more solid and there is no pallet or further bone loss. I guess it will be worth it. And 18000 vs 4000 doing a tooth at a time and all the things to go wrong with single implants and bridges and such. I think and hope I did the right thing? Did I ?

Last edited by Crazbyc; 12-25-2015 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Wrong #'s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 PM

I meant $40,000

Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Rather than spend $40K on implants right away i'd give the dentures a chance, i've had full dentures for 10 years now and find its not so bad,theres nothing i cant eat with them they look great and they only set me back $2K.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazbyc View Post
My seventh day after full upper and lower extractions and immediate top of the line from aspen dental been adjusted once . Need it again tomorrow , eating is a horror show but they look good lol. They say that it will be ok but still on the fence as to whether I made a mistake, however, in 6 months when I get the implants put in and they are more solid and there is no pallet or further bone loss. I guess it will be worth it. And 18000 vs 4000 doing a tooth at a time and all the things to go wrong with single implants and bridges and such. I think and hope I did the right thing? Did I ?
Don't make that decision yet! It's too early. I'm just shy of 2 months by 3 days. I've had one reline and they fit a lot better now. I have only a top plate and I'm no longer using adhesive! You'll get there. This wasn't easy but its getting more so every single day!

For those with questions about dentures check out Dentures A New Smile for help and answers.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Thanks, I guess I have no choice now but to give it a chance it's going to take a while to heal. Iam hoping it gets better

Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Will I be able to eat the normal things I use to eat? Or do I have to wait for the implant dentures to?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:32 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
Quote:
Will I be able to eat the normal things I use to eat? Or do I have to wait for the implant dentures to?
Most people cannot eat the things they used to eat, which is the entire reason for implants. There are exceptions.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
Quote:
Thanks, I guess I have no choice now but to give it a chance it's going to take a while to heal. Iam hoping it gets better
I've had mine for a little less than a year. The immediate dentures were put in after the extraction. I had to take them out after several hours and couldn't get them back in due to swelling. I went back right away for an exam and had to leave them out until the swelling went down. I left them out for around 4 weeks. Once the swelling went down and the stitches had dissolved. I started wearing the dentures again, but it took around 2 months for the healing itself to be much better. I continued going in every few weeks for soft relining and periodic filing and smoothing. I've already had about 3 soft relines to make the fit more comfortable and snug. I feel like it's about time to go back in again.

By the way, each time I go in, there is no charge. The aftercare is included in what I paid indefinitely or as long as I keep the immediate dentures. I have no idea if that's typical or if some charge each time.

Quote:
Some people seem to be able to eat most normal things, but I'd guess there are some things that most people aren't going to be able to eat. Again, I've had mine for almost a year now. I use a denture adhesive paste to hold them in more firmly. That helps a little, but for me, it doesn't last long and I still can't eat/chew most things anyway. When I try, it's either hard to swallow or the dentures come loose. Most of the time, I just leave them out when I'm eating at home to avoid the hassle. It's not a problem with foods that are soft or thinly sliced. I'd say don't count on eating any crisp apples or thick steaks.

I'm going to try out a different kind of paste adhesive. Don't bother with adhesive strips. They might be fine for talking but not for eating, and food particles can get in under the dentures. I don't know how well powders work but I'm not that optimistic about them. Pastes seem stronger and hold longer.

As has been mentioned by others, implant dentures are said to be much closer to use like normal teeth. Even then, they still aren't going to be the same as normal teeth. I'd go for them in a minute if it wasn't for the high cost of the titanium implant posts. The quote I got was $2000 per post, and I'd need 4 for the upper denture and 4 for the lower (a total of 8 posts). In any case, my understanding is that implant dentures fit in very snug (no need for adhesives) and the bite force is about as good as normal teeth.

Another thing I've found out about the difference between immediate dentures and permanent dentures is that there isn't a lot of difference. Both are made with the same type of acrylic-like material. The permanent dentures are said to be thinner and lighter in weight. Also, the teeth for permanent dentures are set in individually and can be adjusted to your satisfaction (they look more like natural teeth). Once you're completely satisfied with how they look then they're sent off to finish them. The look of my immediate dentures is nearly identical to how my natural teeth looked. I have a plaster cast-set of my natural teeth from decades ago, and I can't tell any difference in size, spacing or bite. The difference however is that the immediate dentures feel like having a thick wad of plastic crammed in my mouth, especially the upper.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
I used powder adhesive once my stitches came out. Powder held much firmer for me. If you have stitches, however, you shouldn't use powder. After my reline I was told they should fit securely and that I shouldn't need adhesive. I haven't used any since but a little extra hold wouldn't be a bad thing; I just don't like dealing with having to get it out of my mouth but I learned that cold water seemed to work better for that just before my reline but I didn't get to practice it enough to be absolutely certain it did help.

For reference, at nearly 2 months, I finally ate a Snickers! As long as you can pull something apart with your fingers, you should be able to eat it; took a little longer and it hurt a little but it was worth it!

Teeth on immediate dentures are not as sharp as our natural teeth but teeth on permanent dentures are sharper than the teeth on an immediate denture! Therefore it takes longer to craft a permanent denture.

There are video's on youtube about the process.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Main problem i had when first using dentures was sensitivity to the sharp ridges on the dentures rubbing on the central part of my upper palate,rather than continually going back to the denturologist for adjustments i used a piece of fine sandpaper to smooth out the sharp ridges.
Now 10 years later and better fitting dentures i can eat just about anything and with the addition of adhesive i can eat anything i could eat with my natural teeth including corn on the cob and apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health