Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 12:19 PM

90 posts, read 253,299 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am currently scheduled to have tooth 12 (upper left, 1st premolar) extracted and begin the process for a dental implant in about a month. However, I am wondering if a resin-bonded bridge would be a better option for me. My dentist told me that a sinus lift would be required and the need for the implant is something I have forgone for about 5 years. According to my dentist, the surrounding teeth have started to shift some. They also mentioned this can cause further loss of bone (adding to the need for the lift), which will continue to happen without getting the implant.

The sinus lift procedure itself doesn't bother me, but I am worried about an infection and what the recovery might be like. I have read stories from people who have had terrible recoveries and have dealt with all sorts of complications and others who said it was a breeze, nothing more than a day or two of mild discomfort.

I wish I could not have the implant done at all. This all happened about 5 years ago when half a crown from a root canal broke off. Since that happened, I have suffered no ill effects whatsoever. Apart from my teeth apparently slightly shifting, which I was totally unaware of, it's been something I have almost never thought about. The entire process for the getting the implant just seems so involved and invasive, especially the sinus lift.

Has anyone ever had a resin-bonded bridge? If so, was it something you chose to do in leu of getting an implant? I'd be very interested to hear about your experience and whether you would do it again or not. It seems like it would accomplish the same thing as an implant (stop teeth shifting) while being much less invasive, less expensive, and it wouldn't require "destroying" the two surrounding teeth like a "traditional" bridge would, though the resin bridge doesn't stimulate bone growth the way a normal implant would. Perhaps I'm wrong about all this but that's why I'm asking!

Many thanks!

Last edited by Trekker34; 05-14-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health