Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 12,576 times

Advertisements

I wore braces decades ago and take excellent care of my teeth. I used an upper Hawley and lived with a cemented lower retainer for decades until recently a dentist told me it had come unbonded. That explained why several of my lower teeth became crooked.

I went to a (horrible) ortho who said he could remove the old retainer and put one of my teeth back in place with a spring retainer. This ortho was a nightmare for many reasons, but now I'm left with an extremely uncomfortable, messed up bite due to these removable Hawley upper/lower retainers.

Only two of my molars touch in the back on one side of my mouth and make a horrible grinding sound when I eat, or chew gum. The right side bite doesn't even close. You can visibly see this when pulling my cheek back.

I've sought out two other opinions and it's recommended to have Invisalign and rubber bands to pull my teeth back into place. They said getting braces at such a young age didn't help for jaw growth all these years.

The killer is that my teeth look beautiful cosmetically and are all still in place perfectly except for my bite. You can see the misalignment. I was so vigilant about wearing retainers my entire life and to consider braces again is SO DISAPPOINTING!

Would you suck it up and get Invisalign for year to correct this bite situation or just live with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 09:51 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Only your dentist can determine what kind of treatment the problem warrants. This being the Fashion and Beauty forum, I'm guessing your primary concern is aesthetic. Does the difficulty with your bite cause an abnormal appearance of your face?

Old 10-14-2023, 10:14 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
My understanding of the OP is that her main concern isn't aesthetic but practical; her bite doesn't work and causes her a lot of discomfort! OP, I'm not clear on what Invisalign is. It doesn't sound like traditional "braces", so I'm not sure what your concern about that proposal is. It sounds like an easier, more affordable, and more comfortable solution than old-fashioned "braces".

I did google it, and found their website with some diagrams of different types of bite problems, including "overbite", which like so many dentists and orthodontists, the site claims in abnormal. I just want to say, that if you're of European heritage, an overbite is completely normal, and by itself is nothing to correct.

But your issues are not about overbite. I think you should go back to the orthodontists who recommended Invisalign, and investigate that option further. Ask a lot of questions about how, specifically, the treatment would improve your situation: how would it solve the misalignment (which sounds to be fairly complex), resolve the discomforting symptoms, and so on.

They're right, that getting braces too young can cause problems later on. Braces were such a huge fad in prior eras, that parents got them for kids thinking everyone needed them, but that was not the case. In some cases it was better to wait, as the kids' teeth were still adjusting to the growth spurts kids were going through, so it was too early to evaluate those cases, let along treat them for something that could self-correct over time.

I think you do need to find a solution to your situation; you shouldn't have to live with your symptoms the rest of your life. The trick is to find a practitioner you trust. For now, do further research, collect information, and take your time on deciding whom to trust, and how to go forward.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:55 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It takes a while for teeth to shift. But that is neither here nor there.

I consulted four dr ortho earlier this year for a bite correction and shifting teeth. Invisalign's patent has run out. Sparks is a similar product with an a bit more sturdy plastic trays. There are several options for aftercare retainers. My estimates ran from 4500-7500 for a one year treatment and one set of retainers. So far a lot of improvement and I should make target.

The downside:
I need a Dremel to buff down rough edges on every tray. Basic cleaning takes cleaning tabs and an electric toothbrush and cotton swabs. There is pain! Especially the first two days after the weekly replacing of trays. You have a mouth full of "something" all day. You may have to adjust your speech. There is no eating or drinking with the trays in! You will additional routine teeth cleanings.

Old 10-15-2023, 04:25 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My understanding of the OP is that her main concern isn't aesthetic but practical; her bite doesn't work and causes her a lot of discomfort!
Okay, okay - Don't yell at me.....if OP's concern was "practical" then OP would have posted the thread in the Dental Health sub-forum. I stand by my post.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:30 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have never heard of any one wearing braces or a retainer as long as OP has. When I had braces I had them on 2 years tops and the retainer maybe 1 year. I did not even know you could wear retainers for that long.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:19 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have never heard of any one wearing braces or a retainer as long as OP has. When I had braces I had them on 2 years tops and the retainer maybe 1 year. I did not even know you could wear retainers for that long.
It depends on the individual situation.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:30 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think Invisalign sounds like exactly what you need. I would do it.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:30 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Invisalign is not as strong as regular braces. My wife had them on for over 2 years and they broke frequently having to go back to the dental office quite often. She said they were okay, about 80% of the straightening job, but they were a nuisance.

Old 01-01-2024, 12:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
I spent the majority of my childhood and teens in retainers, braces, headgear and then back to retainers. I never had the extent of the issues and complications you’re experiencing but I would strongly recommend getting a second opinion preferably at a dental college if one is located within a reasonable distance from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health