Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 12:57 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Why do you say "most of" the dentists there were schooled in the US? I don't believe it. I have never been to Tijuana but none of the Mexican border dentists I have seen were schooled in the USA.

I will wager the exact opposite: none or almost none of them were schooled in the US. Unfortunately my browser crashed and I lost the links, but I googled 5 different top Google-rated dentist offices in TJ and not a single person was schooled in the US.

Here is the one I didn't lose, but look the others up. You'll be hard pressed to find a single one

https://thedentaldistrict.com/about/
This is where your post should have ended.

But hey, you do you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 01:11 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
I'm retired and don't have dental insurance since most of it is worthless. My dentist has been very nice and gives me a discount on cleaning/x-rays. The last crown I had I was charged 800.00 and they said, since I had no dental ins., they bill according to the lowest insurance estimate for my area. I was fine with that.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:41 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
My last one was close to $2K.

It's worth it though, years later it's still fine. Some dentists and oral surgeons offer in-house financing.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:18 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
First one was about $1500, years ago. I'm scheduled for another one and it will be $2,100. Insurance only pays half. This is in Anchorage, AK.

Apparently I'm hard on teeth. My dentist tried the normal materials used for crowns (white in color) but they kept breaking. He finally suggested gold and since these are molars in the back of my mouth I went with it. At one point gold was the same price as the other materials but now it is slightly more. I have not had a gold crown break.

Old 10-22-2023, 11:09 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
This is where your post should have ended.

But hey, you do you!
That is where my post ended.

Here are the other links I had looked up.

https://advancedsmilesdentistry.com/...ist-in-tijuana 12 dentists all schooled in MX
https://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/...-dental-studio
https://www.tijuanadentalstudio.com/...et-the-doctor/
https://harmonydentaltijuana.com/meet-doctor.php

feel free to show any that have USA schooled dentists. Its possible you were mistaken?

In my experience Mexican dentists do decent, but not great work. It's good for the price but not up to the level of good USA dentists. But for many people like myself we simply have no affordable option other than losing our teeth, because US dental care is prohibitively expensive.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:04 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
First one was about $1500, years ago. I'm scheduled for another one and it will be $2,100. Insurance only pays half. This is in Anchorage, AK.

Apparently I'm hard on teeth. My dentist tried the normal materials used for crowns (white in color) but they kept breaking. He finally suggested gold and since these are molars in the back of my mouth I went with it. At one point gold was the same price as the other materials but now it is slightly more. I have not had a gold crown break.
I have 4 gold crowns that are quite old. This recent one is the new material-porcelain? White in color.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:47 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Side note- there are businesses like Aspen Dental that get bad online reviews, but offer financing or lower cost treatments.

Sounds sketchy BUT they often re-do teeth if there is a problem.

Keep in mind Americans are notorious for bad dental habits (sugary food, soda, not brushing, not flossing, tobacco use, etc.) but get angry at the dentist for reasons beyond the dental professional's control.

Understandably most people cannot go to Mexico or another place for dental procedures, Plus for items like crowns there are 2-3 visits required.

Just point out the reasons why it's worth spending the money closer to home.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:23 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
I just had a crown placed this week. Total cost $1250. Allowed amount $1184.29. Delta Insurance of Iowa for state retirees paid $947.43. I paid 236.86. One visit with computer-aided technology (or whatever it’s called) done in office.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:12 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
$1500 each here. I've had three in the last 5 years and no insurance.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:03 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I just had a crown placed this week. Total cost $1250. Allowed amount $1184.29. Delta Insurance of Iowa for state retirees paid $947.43. I paid 236.86. One visit with computer-aided technology (or whatever it’s called) done in office.
Can’t imagine one visit….the permanent crown has to be made at a lab. They sent you home with a temporary..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health