Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 72,707 times

Advertisements

Hey Anyana:

Be sure to post back and let us know how your trip went.

BTW - check out the web before your trip for cheap gas prices (I think google maps has a feature...) it'll make planning your gas stops much easier. When we did the move in Mar & again in April it helped knowing where to stop before that big empty space in Utahand what diesel fuel was going for in different regions.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 18,262 times
Default Driving Las vegas to Denver in a day do-able??

hello, I live in las vegas and..im going to move vegas to chicago via denver and des moines.
anyway...i was wondering that las vegas to denver in a day is do-able?
im thinking taking I-15~I-70 route with my firend which means two drivers.
My little concern is about my car. My car is 06' hyundai sonata V4..
Do you guys think that my car is going to make all the hills??

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,913 times
Vegas to Denver in a day is doable. I've done it several times...it is a very long day of driving...~13hours. I've done the drive in my 1995 Geo Prizm. So if my car can make those hills, I think that yours will be just fine.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Yes, it's doable, especially with two drivers. Your car should make it just fine. I have known people to make this drive in a day.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
I've made it to Vegas in a day.

Many people I know (I live in C Springs so it's an hour longer of a drive) make the trip to Vegas from this side of the Rockies all the time in a day. 12-13 hour drive and it's a beautiful drive once you leave behind Mesquite.

I wish I still had the trip itinerary (sp) that I used when I drove to Vegas and back as I mapped out to the mile, what places to stop in Utah for gas and they were perfect.

Anyhow, if you need a good bit of relief, Grand Junction (which is about 8 hours from Vegas) has a lot of ammenities on Horizon Drive...the best in the city just of I-70. I wrote about it somewhere on the forum pretty recently so look up my posts and see what you come up with.

But yes, even driving by myself during a snow storm (oh that was a comedy I should write about here) is doable in a day. (I was delayed by about 5 hours because of snow and an unscheduled stop to a car rental in which I went to DIA to resolve - again, story for another day.)

Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
I've done that drive (both as a passenger and as the driver) a dozen times at least-- all in one day. I-70 through Colorado and Utah is probably one of the most scenic interstate highways in America. I-15 is scenic and pleasant too. The only boring part is between Las Vegas and Mesquite, and between Grand Junction and Green River, UT. I would recommend gassing up in Salina, UT, because once you pass there, it's over 120 miles to Green River, the next highway stop. But that 120 mile stretch, BTW, goes through some of the most amazing scenery in the southwest. Oh, and your car should be fine. Just make sure you gear down when you are coming down a big hill. Do not ride your brakes!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,983 times
How do you guys thinks, driving to Las Vegas from Denver VIA I-25,I-70, I-15 during Christmas holiday? Is that a crazy idear ???

Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
When I moved to Denver from L.A., I stopped somewhere in Utah for the night around where the 15 and 70 meet. Then it wasn't a bad drive into Denver. I have a 4 cyl. car and by the time I got to the Eisenhower Tunnel, it was running real sluggish, having to downshift to get up hills (an automatic) and I thought something was wrong with it. Then after a day in Denver, it was fine. A mechanic told me the computer must have readjusted for the altitude. You can make it in a 4 cyl. car, but if I did that trip regularly, I'd get a 6 cyl.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,071 times
[SIZE=2]I was stuck in L.A. last December during the prolonged snow storm. I ended up driving my rental on the 22nd of December. Left Los Angeles at 11AM local time and arrived in Denver at 3AM local time. 3 stops and 6 red bulls. As I recall the drive from Las Vegas is around 10-12 hours, ensure you have fuel before entering western Utah as there is a large gap with no services.[/SIZE]

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 PM

49 posts, read 202,380 times
Default Driving from LA to Las Vegas to Grand Junction to Denver in March

Are highways closed from snow storms etc?

Just wondering if I can depend on roads being open as I will be starting a job the next day.

Gracias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver