Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,707,519 times

Advertisements

I believe there was another post about this drive a while back. The route is along major highways, so travel should be fairly good for the most part. Keep in mind though that March is the snowiest month for Colorado. If this winter is any indication, we have been getting hammered by heavy snowstorms. In fact, today in Grand Junction, the schools have a snow day, which doesn't happen very often. I-70 does close for short periods of time during heavy snowstorms. If it is not closed, and there has been a storm, chances are it will be icy and snowpacked. This means you MUST drive slowly! There are also some mountainous areas in Utah where I-15 joins I-70. I'm not as familiar with this route during the winter, but I imagine it is similar to Colorado. I would allow yourself a few extra days to drive out just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 AM

11,847 posts, read 34,513,037 times
CDOT Traveler Information - look at Road Conditions and Alerts & Restrictions.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM

227 posts, read 1,045,837 times
We did this exact moving trip 5 years ago, with the largest UHAUL they have (I think it's for a 3 bedroom house or something like that, whichever one was the largest truck). Juen will be very pretty and scenic on the drive from Vegas to Denver. Just take it slow. I would read up or possibly ask truckers for some advice on how to handle the mountain passes, both going up and coming down. My father-in-law drove the UHAUL all alone but he's had some experience with driving large trucks though.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,925,684 times
We are making this trip on the 21st of this month (Vegas to Denver and then back to Vegas a week later). I've done this trip in the summer but never the winter. Do they enforce chains on I70 in certain conditions? We have a RWD SUV (TrailBlazer) with brand new all-season tires. Really hope we don't run into blizzard conditions LOL.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,995,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
We are making this trip on the 21st of this month (Vegas to Denver and then back to Vegas a week later). I've done this trip in the summer but never the winter. Do they enforce chains on I70 in certain conditions? We have a RWD SUV (TrailBlazer) with brand new all-season tires. Really hope we don't run into blizzard conditions LOL.
Mostly chain requirements are for commercial vehicles only, so don't worry about that. I figure if you actually are required to have chains, you shouldn't be on the road at all.

It's going to be hit or miss in March. Make yourself a hotel reservation somewhere along the way so you can crash if you get stuck.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 41,008 times
Default Driving from Las Vegas to Denver (best route)

I'll be making the drive from Vegas to Denver in a 16' moving truck this saturday. Been contemplating taking the southern route through AZ and NM, or going through UT and CO (Hwy 70).

Can anyone give me a suggestion? Some people say Hwy 70 isn't bad, others say it's better to go south.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 PM

792 posts, read 1,305,253 times
Keep an eye on the weather, Utah is bracing for "blizzard conditions"....it should be clear by Saturday....but watch the weather. If the weather is clear, north on the 15 to the 70 is the shortest. That is not a big truck, so if the roads are clear it should be an easy trip.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 PM

16 posts, read 41,008 times
Thanks for the feedback. I talked to the guy transporting my cars out there today and he was taking the 70 hauling 7 cars. Said to just drop the car in gear going down the hill and not ride the breaks.

I figured it couldn't be that bad, but some people on the web made that drive sound like it was a nightmare.

I'll definitely check the weather on Fri and make a game time decision on Sat morning.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,925,684 times
If you have never seen the Grand Canyon, take the southern route and spend 3 hours seeing it. But I've seen quite a bit of snow on the southern route, so no way is a sure bet.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM

598 posts, read 1,549,921 times
I always go the southern route this time of year...yeah, it's a bit longer, but much safer.

If you know that weather is going to be fine, you should be ok. But...make sure you check right before you leave. I did that route in November, back in 2005 and vowed I would never do that again except for the summer.

Good luck and be safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver