Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,072 times

Advertisements

I ran through a red light near Centennial airport.
I go through that light everyday and thought/remembered it had longer yellow light before changing to red but maybe they changed the timing.

So by the time I was right before the white line, I saw light changed to Red and was too late to stop @ 40mph speed zone.
I'm not hoping but expecting a ticket as there are cameras on top of all four traffic light posts.

I researched and found that the yellow light must be timed 1 sec for each 10 mile speed limit but didn't find a specific Denver/Centennial DMV site mentioning this.
After the light, speed limit is 35mph down from 40mph before the light.
I calculated the yellow light timing and looks like it's around/slightly over 3 secs but definitely not 4 secs.

Is there a rule for these in Centennial?
I really hate to get a ticket due to 1 second in my clean driving record of ever...
We'll see what happens in a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I ran through a red light near Centennial airport.
I go through that light everyday and thought/remembered it had longer yellow light before changing to red but maybe they changed the timing.

So by the time I was right before the white line, I saw light changed to Red and was too late to stop @ 40mph speed zone.
I'm not hoping but expecting a ticket as there are cameras on top of all four traffic light posts.

I researched and found that the yellow light must be timed 1 sec for each 10 mile speed limit but didn't find a specific Denver/Centennial DMV site mentioning this.
After the light, speed limit is 35mph down from 40mph before the light.
I calculated the yellow light timing and looks like it's around/slightly over 3 secs but definitely not 4 secs.

Is there a rule for these in Centennial?
I really hate to get a ticket due to 1 second in my clean driving record of ever...
We'll see what happens in a week or so.
I believe since it is a camera it will have no affect on your driving record. You will just get a fine.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I believe since it is a camera it will have no affect on your driving record. You will just get a fine.
I think this is right.

Camera tickets are like parking tickets. No points.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 AM

So I do have to pay or can claim them to prove it was me?

I remember there were some rule changes and some news on this topic last year.

http://kdvr.com/2011/04/28/photo-rad...re-written-on/

Quote:
Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-110.5 requires that, in the case of a traffic violation detected by an “automatic vehicle identification system” (e.g., a traffic camera), the city must “serve the penalty assessment notice or summons and complaint for the alleged violation on the defendant no later than ninety days after the alleged violation occurred.”
Pursuant to Denver Revised Municipal Code sections 54-821, 54-823 and 54-830, the city is required to notify you of your alleged violation via a Penalty Assessment Notice or summons and complaint. Either of these must be
(1) handed to you by a police officer or process server,
(2) left at your residence with a person aged 18 or older, or
(3) mailed to you at your last known residence via certified mail, return receipt requested.

Last edited by Mystery123; 11-10-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Wow--you are a like a nervous old lady...

You have not got a ticket yet--you may never get a ticket. So, why worry now and waste all this effort.

Live for today and stop fretting about tomorrow. Trust me, that is good lesson to learn!

If and when you get the ticket, then address the issue. It may have some information added to the mailing that may already answer your questions.

Go take a walk; make love; eat a pizza; have some ice cream; drink a beer...read a book...just relax!

Livecontent

Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Wow--you are a like a nervous old lady...

You have not got a ticket yet--you may never get a ticket. So, why worry now and waste all this effort.

Live for today and stop fretting about tomorrow. Trust me, that is good lesson to learn!

If and when you get the ticket, then address the issue. It may have some information added to the mailing that may already answer your questions.

Go take a walk; make love; eat a pizza; have some ice cream; drink a beer...read a book...just relax!

Livecontent
I'm a nervous old lady.
Wait, let me check... okay I'm not that.

Hopefully, that fraction of a second won't issue a ticket.
I never had traffic violation and I'm a safe driver so it worries me if I get into this type of situation when I don't deliberately try to break the rules.
Now let me go take a walk, eat a pizza, don't drink beer so that's out, book reading is fun? so that's out, ice cream is good and the 2nd one has to wait...

Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I'm a nervous old lady.
Wait, let me check... okay I'm not that.

Hopefully, that fraction of a second won't issue a ticket.
I never had traffic violation and I'm a safe driver so it worries me if I get into this type of situation when I don't deliberately try to break the rules.
Now let me go take a walk, eat a pizza, don't drink beer so that's out, book reading is fun? so that's out, ice cream is good and the 2nd one has to wait...
Sure we sometimes worry about getting a ticket when we do something wrong. I have not had a ticket in 18 years; very few in the past and never really that serious--I am in my 60s. I have an excellent driving record, outstanding credit, I am older, I am a long term resident, I own my own house etc. etc. etc. Therefore my insurance rates are very low.

BUT, the time will come when I will receive another traffic ticket. I just accept it because I know there have been many, many, many times I should have been given a traffic ticket. I may have gone through a light...missed a stop sign...drove too fast and so on...

So, as a senior, I drive real slow in the passing lane ...slumping down in the seat under my fedora hat...my left turn signal always on...constantly hitting the brakes... I must be doing a good job driving because other drivers are always saying hello by honking and blinking their lights, yelling a greeting...and waving with one finger...

Livecontent

Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times
Those cameras are all over Littleton too. My husband got nailed in the same intersection twice making a turn on a yellow to red during extreme backed up rush hour in the tech center. He remembers seeing the flash and it was just too late because he had already been in the intersection when the light changed so there was really nothing he could do. The good thing is they don't go on your record. The bad thing is the $$$$. He stopped going that route so he could avoid that intersection.

I love what my brother in law did when he realized the camera was going to go off and he was going to get a ticket. He flipped off the camera--just in time. It is in the picture on the citation they mailed him, which I think is hysterical. He's got talent and is a very funny person.....but a horrible driver.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
My husband got nailed in the same intersection twice making a turn on a yellow to red during extreme backed up rush hour in the tech center. He remembers seeing the flash and it was just too late because he had already been in the intersection when the light changed so there was really nothing he could do.
If your husband entered the intersection before it turned red, then he didn't run it. They actually sent him a ticket for that???

Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
I got one a year or so back. It is a 0 point ticket and it isn't even reported to the DMV to go on your driving record. If the cameras went off, a police officer will actually review the images taken and if they can clearly make out the driver, the license plate, and the fact that the light was indeed red before you cross the white line, they will send you the ticket. The total fine is like 60 bucks or something. When you receive the ticket in the mail, you will see the images and they will also give you a link to review video taken. (At least this is what happened to me when I got mine on Arapahoe).

Yes you can contest it and take it to court if you wish. For me, it was easier to pay the fine instead of taking off work, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver