Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

Despite the increase in population and the economic growth, why isn't Denver building more high rises? Every time I come back from Chicago, I'm struck by how much less impressive our skyline is. Rather than sprawling out why aren't more tall buildings and density being planned for? A lot of the infill around union station and other areas is less than 10 stories. Why not take advantage of the space and build taller buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:30 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
1144th 15th street is in development, will be completed by December 2017.

What I'd like to see is Arapahoe Square have a few 40-50 story skyscrapers and maybe a couple 60-80 story towers built. It all costs money and there isn't a demand for them at the moment. Need to attract more corporate businesses and Fortune 500 companies to Denver for that to happen. Denver doesn't attract enough big business.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 AM

What I'd like to see Denver push for but similar style for future skyscrapers.

Wells Fargo Plaza, 302 meters (Houston)

609 main at Texas, 231 meters (Houston)

Oxford Place, 262 meters (Calgary)

Old 02-18-2016, 12:56 AM

More glass towers in development for Houston... Denver could use those at Arapahoe Square.

1600 Louisiana

Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I had always heard that one of the factors about why there weren't a lot of skyscrapers in Denver was because of the proximity of Stapleton to downtown when it was the site of the commercial airport. Of course, that doesn't explain why there hasn't been development in the last decade, especially.

We love our tall glass buildings in Houston. Your first picture shows a building that I think is over 30 years old. And downtown/CBD isn't the only area of the city that has them.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-18-2016 at 05:38 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM

214 posts, read 260,254 times
Denver is a smaller city... More on par with a Portland than a Chcago or Houston.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclarki View Post
Despite the increase in population and the economic growth, why isn't Denver building more high rises? Every time I come back from Chicago, I'm struck by how much less impressive our skyline is. Rather than sprawling out why aren't more tall buildings and density being planned for? A lot of the infill around union station and other areas is less than 10 stories. Why not take advantage of the space and build taller buildings?
You can have density without skyline-altering high rises. 20-35 story buildings usually don't look that impressive, but serve to promote density.

Why doesn't Denver have more? Well, they cost a lot and you need a developer who wants to do it. I would say there has to be a need for it (not enough office or residential space), but that's not always the case. Many buildings are built with the intent to attract tenants from other buildings.

You probably shouldn't compare Denver to Chicago - a much bigger city, known for it's architecture, and having its skyline come into shape in a different era than Denver.

I'd compare Denver to Minneapolis or Seattle, smaller cities with impressive skylines. Pittsburgh also has a fantastic skyline for smaller city.

I always find the topic of skylines interesting - they just sort of come into being. No city has ever planned an entire skyline because all the buildings aren't built at one time. Pieces fall into place, sometimes beautifully, and sometimes haphazardly.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, coming from an old "country boy" raised on a farm in Indiana, perhaps Denver doesn't want to be that "big city" like the ones that have those skyscrapers. Denver is part of Colorado, which is still, to a point, "cowboy". I could still go into downtown Denver wearing a cowboy hat, boots, Wranglers and, most likely, nobody would look at me weird.......I mean, it's Denver in Colorado. What can I say, Denver has a big/major rodeo each year that attracts thousands of people.

As for me, I like the way Denver looks as it is, but then again, I'm not into "big city" type stuff/buildings.

BTW, use to live in Parker and had a job just north of Coors Field. Sometimes I'd wear my cowboy hat, Wranglers and boots to work. I'd remove my hat in the truck, but nobody at work said a thing about the rest of the clothes (Western) that I was wearing. I was also into the rodeo scene on the weekends all over the Front Range, during the summer months.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
^^ Except Minneapolis has a very pathetic downtown. It's very small, boring, sterile, and at loss of any historic character. They are really trying hard to be a big city.

Minneapolis population is around 400k, Milwaukee is about 700k. Milwaukee has done a very good job at keeping it's historic character and charm by repurposing older buildings and structures, without knocking them down and replacing them with tall glass. Sure when you look at Minneapolis and Milwaukee at afar, Minneapolis *looks* bigger, but it's pretty deceiving. Milwaukee also has done a great job with promoting density and growth by incorporating new buildings with the old ones. Minneapolis just tore down anything that looked old, and they are now left with a boring city.

I hope Denver takes the Milwaukee route.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
I hope one day Denver is as large as Tokyo Japan with rail connecting the whole front range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver