Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM

224 posts, read 273,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
KADX!

If I recall they cranked up around 1974 and was around for the better half of a decade. One of the dj's (can't remember which one) would get on a CTI/KUDU label kick and play an hour or more of recent releases on those labels Creed Taylor had a hand in, people from Eric Gale to John Hammond to Hubert Laws to Grover Washington, etc., etc. Other dj's would be all over the board regarding their playlists; Coltrane, T Monk, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, and on and on and on! It was a great station!

I knew a few of the employees at that station, Jack Winter and John Rezabek are two that come to mind. Another is a guy who needs no introduction to jazz music in the Denver area-Tom Burns. He had a weekly program on the station in the mid 1980's and also owned Jazz Record Revival on So. Broadway for most of the 1980's. Very well read on jazz, had his own label as well-Capri Records. And a SUPER individual as well!

Thanks man. I now vaguely remember hearing the call letters KADX.

You don't suppose that one DJ was moonlighting for CTI, would you? (Great label though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 AM

20 posts, read 33,806 times
Been nearly a year since I was last in this forum. Took a while to catch up.

Made a trip back last Summer. We were only in town for a day, as I was on my way to Wichita for a few days. I actually grew up there, and lived in Arvada for just a couple of years. But in many ways, Arvada and the Denver area mean a lot more to me. It was there that I found and lost my first real love, and man, did we go everywhere.

I already knew that pretty much everywhere we used to go was gone, but I still had to see for myself. Her favorite place was Villa Italia. I wasn't a big fan, but we went. Cin City was always my favorite if I needed to get something. Especially Cinder Alley. She really hated that. She was fond of the Jefferson 440, and it appears to be long gone. The coffee shops I preferred were also gone. We both loved Celebrity Sports.

Even though I knew they were all gone, it still made me sad to see the "corpses" for myself. It was a pretty big shock to see, since I hadn't been in town since 1975. I reckon it doesn't bother her so much, since she's never lived anywhere but in the Denver area.

One this I never got to do back then, but did this time was go to Alferd Packer's grave. I still have the 1970's novelty song about him. Currently on my ipod.

Anyway, this is a great place to come and have a nice batch of old memories return. Thanks to all of you for them.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-28-2017 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop99er View Post
Been nearly a year since I was last in this forum. Took a while to catch up.

Made a trip back last Summer. We were only in town for a day, as I was on my way to Wichita for a few days. I actually grew up there, and lived in Arvada for just a couple of years. But in many ways, Arvada and the Denver area mean a lot more to me.

Anyway, this is a great place to come and have a nice batch of old memories return. Thanks to all of you for them.
Know the feeling. Live in Colorado; but not in the Denver area......and I miss the oldies and the new.

I wonder if we can go back? Where I live now, is nice; but it has never really felt like "home." Anyway, maybe, someday soon I will be posting from Denver, my old home town...........

Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
Default Hge Fire somewhere around Colo. Blvd & Colfax in 68

Does anyone remember this big fire, occurring back in the late 60's. I think it was a huge wood structure with the word "Jewish" in the title. I heard it crackling in my apartment one summer night (in '68?) and I thought it was fireworks from a long ways away but when I looked out the window the entire eastern sky was tinted red. I never went to investigate but I heard it was one of the biggest fires in Denver history but can never find any trace of it on the internet. <search me???>

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
National Jewish Hospital is at Colfax and Colorado. Their wiki page doesn't mention a fire.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl_martino View Post
Does anyone remember this big fire, occurring back in the late 60's. I think it was a huge wood structure with the word "Jewish" in the title. I heard it crackling in my apartment one summer night (in '68?) and I thought it was fireworks from a long ways away but when I looked out the window the entire eastern sky was tinted red. I never went to investigate but I heard it was one of the biggest fires in Denver history but can never find any trace of it on the internet. <search me???>
The biggest fire in Denver's history was The University Hills Mall fire in 1983. Denver's only five alarm fire. The fire you are talking about, may have been part of this incident. Unfortunately this doesn't give much details, or locations.

On Feb. 8, 1969, the Denver Fire Department contended with three simultaneous three-alarm fires at Carney Lumber Co., Empire Roofing Co., and the Miller Hotel. [Denver Firefighters Museum]

Denver Fire Journal

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The biggest fire in Denver's history was The University Hills Mall fire in 1983.
I loved that mall and hung out there during the summers. IIRC, it never really recovered after the fire although I think other issues contributed to its demise, most notably May D&F closing the anchor store.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:03 AM

20 posts, read 86,145 times
U Hills Mall fire over 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwMM0d8wE0

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Just thought of another one that I don't think has been mentioned. Does anyone remember Wolhurst on S. Santa Fe Drive? A huge old rambling mansion that eventually turned into a gambling club. I remember going there to play bingo with a bunch of ladies I worked with at the old May-D&F at Bear Valley in the late '60s early '70s. The mansion burned to the ground sometime in the 1970s and the land now houses a senior living mobile home park called Wolhurst Landing. Anybody else remember the original place?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
Default Re: University Hills Mall

I'm a Denver native and have lived for most of my life in University Hills.

Remember the fire well, they tried to reopen the mall, but the burnt smoky smell never went away. So eventually it was turned into a strip mall.

Love this site, brings back many memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver