Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM

182 posts, read 668,232 times

Advertisements

Casa Bonita is alive and well- the cliff diving has never been better. Our kids love it just as much as we did.

I remember the sick feeling that everyone had when it came out that Alan Berg was murdered by white supremacists.

Craig Morton. My (old) aunt had three big pictures in her house: her late husband, Jesus, and Craig Morton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Alan Berg used to frequent the 7-11 near work, was pleasant, always giving a handout to street folk. Listening to Peter Boyles(name?) the morning after...so sad. As a big talk radio fan, I've often thought todays host, whether local or national don't hold a candle to him and doubt they would be as tenacious in the face of threats.
Casa Bonita...the deluxe plate was $3.75...alot at the time. Loved the sopapillas.
Craig no knees Morton, yep. and #44, don't recall his name. Jim Hightops the kicker. Gradishar, Alzado..r.i.p. orange crush

Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I seem to remember that the Scotsman was really the FROSTED Scotsmen......I left Denver in 1962 for the Air Farce and Las Vegas......

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Alan Berg used to frequent the 7-11 near work, was pleasant, always giving a handout to street folk. Listening to Peter Boyles(name?) the morning after...so sad. As a big talk radio fan, I've often thought todays host, whether local or national don't hold a candle to him and doubt they would be as tenacious in the face of threats.
Casa Bonita...the deluxe plate was $3.75...alot at the time. Loved the sopapillas.
Craig no knees Morton, yep. and #44, don't recall his name. Jim Hightops the kicker. Gradishar, Alzado..r.i.p. orange crush
Didn't Lyle Alzado die from a brain tumor not too long ago?

I'm not a big talk radio person (but the movie Talk Radio, inspired by Berg, is really good) so take my opinion for what it's worth, but it seems to me like Alan Berg really had a passion for issues, whereas most of today's talk radio folks are in it for the purpose of being abrasive.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Berg did have passion! I'm disappointed in todays talk show host, at least one of them could really make a difference in this country if he would step out from behind the mike and either run for office or actively support a political movement first hand!
Alzado died about 10 years ago I think, yes a tumor.
Whatever happened to ol' Federico Pena?
And does anybody recall Carl Akers?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:44 PM

147 posts, read 627,076 times
Whatever happened to Sid King's bar (or ??....) on east Colfax? That must be long gone by now.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
DRB! The Bronco #44 was Floyd Little. Until John Ralston came in, he was the only offense the Broncos had. Syd Kings closed a long time ago-ironic the ultimate topless club across the street from the State Capitol! I still miss the old Mile High Stadium. Carl Akers was a fiture at KLZ for a long time. In the late 50's and early '60's the newsmen at times would pitch the products themselves as opposed to watching several commercials. Akers and Don Roberts brought talent to KLZ (renamed KMGH later) and all thru the 1970's ruled Denver news with Bob Palmer on news, Warren Chandler, and Starr Yelland on sports. And speaking back another decade or so, how about Fred Leo doing the baseball announcing for KCTO( renamed KWGN ). Doing the commentary was a guy who admitted he wasn't the most knowledgable baseball guy but turned in a stellar career writing colums for the Rocky Mountain News. His name was Gene Amole, who passed away a few years ago.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to ol' Federico Pena?
He had one heck of a midlife crisis.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Star Yelland...isn't he the one whose son stood up on the roller coaster atElitches(or Lakeside) and hit his head on a overhead support...sad story.
Floyd Little...my bro in law bought the fullsize poster of him that hung in the Broncos giftshop for years. He has that plus several playoff game autographed helmets, balls....nice to have connections.
Sid Kings...I remember that and PT's on Alameda(?)...topless couples night. Nothing like seeing a girl from high school there....
The sportcaster(hispanic guy, name??)that was on with Palmer ended up in Phoenix, didn't do well.
Pena had a life crisis...didn't care for him, but about like the others. I recall the stink over the city giving a plot on north Santa Fe nears Speers to a nonprofit group of some sort, then after he was elected, he sold it for way under market value to a union group for their headquarters. And McNichols that was his predecessor? I spoke with him, without prodding he stated that the reason he did not run again was that the newspapers and a couple of tv/radio stations told him they had enough dirt to not only defeat him, but put him away. That from his own mouth, so who knows? Lots of politics there.
Recently looked up Rocky Flats...wow. And whatever happened to LaRaza activist Corky Gonzalas and Danny Martinez?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 AM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
That sportscaster is Gary Cruz, who is popular in Phoenix still. My biggest gripe? The Gertlers selling old Elitch's and moving it downtown. Kinda gives Denver an Atlantic City aura. I half expect to see Bozo the Clown jump out at me waving when I'm driving down Speer Blvd. near Six Flags/Elitch's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver