Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 10:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,740,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
a 3 car garage only leads to something bigger.
stay with the single car situation.
Sometimes. For a few years, we had a three-car garage with a modest home above it. About 1800 sf living space.

It’s also possible to have a very small house (under 1000 sf) and a separate, LARGE garage. It depends on the land, building restrictions, whether someone starts with vacant lot, etc. Some people are overly PC about looking “green”. LOL, in our experience those were the same people who parked on the streets in front of other people’s houses plus their own, and they drove daily, including very short trips that could have been walked, biked, or bussed.

Hypocrites. Buy what YOU expect to need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
energy costs & availability are un predictable. Maybe costing is on the way up. NOT a smart time today to buy that land boat vehicle or bump up that single story bungalow.
Sure, costs will go up. Stop breeding so much and you don’t need as big a house or as big an income to feed and clothe them. You can keep throwing out more snarky comments about other people’s preferences, but don’t forget that any human indulgence at all impacts the rest of the world.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:07 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,215,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Sure, costs will go up. Stop breeding so much and you don’t need as big a house or as big an income to feed and clothe them. You can keep throwing out more snarky comments about other people’s preferences, but don’t forget that any human indulgence at all impacts the rest of the world.
So are you volunteering to vacate the premises?

Old 11-14-2021, 11:21 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,151,069 times
I would get a 2 car garage. Car theft has skyrocketed, even in very new areas. On my local Nextdoor it's amazing the Ring videos people have of their cars getting stolen right off of their driveways. But it doesn't matter that they have video as the police really can't do anything. Thieves are so brazen now, they'll break into one car on the driveway and open the garage with the opener while the owners are home in the middle of the night. I have never seen anything like this and I've been in Colorado for a long time.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:44 AM

10,370 posts, read 8,613,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I have a lot of neighbors with extra vehicles, and garages that don't quite fit two cars (one large car plus workspace or storage space). Driveways tend to be cluttered with cars, but most of the cars have covers on them. These really don't protect the cars from the more serious forms of hail, but they must help to some extent, or they wouldn't be so ubiquitous.

I just moved here from northern NM (2200+ ft. higher than Denver), where some families also had an overabundance of cars, but none of those parked outside had covers, because NM doesn't get killer hail, except extremely rarely. I've seen advice on these Denver threads, FYI, to enhance your car cover by attaching old quilting to the underside.
Ruth, you’re in Denver now? Why the move? I always thought you’d head back to the Bay Area.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
So are you volunteering to vacate the premises?
And you? I did not breed.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:53 AM

578 posts, read 1,480,197 times
OP: In addition to the very good points about protecting against theft, vandalism, and hail, another pro for having a 2-car garage or larger, is the resale value of your house: even if you don't need a larger garage, prospective buyers of your pontentially-for-sale-in-the-future house, will be more reluctant in going with 1-car garage options.

I'm prospecting the realestate market right now as a buyer, and I steer away from 1-car garage houses like the plague .

Old 11-15-2021, 11:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,276,818 times
Unfortunately, property theft is pretty high and in my area (Central Park fka Stapleton) there are pretty much daily reports of cars having the catalytic converter stolen when they are parked outside, as well as the regular car break ins to steal whatever is in the car. So if your household anticipates having 2 cars, I don't think you would regret a 2 car garage.

But of course with the market being what it is, that could be a pretty limiting factor depending on the location and price point you are looking for

Old 11-15-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And you? I did not breed.
I don't have the masochistic idea that humans are not welcome on Earth. But glad you followed your heart.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:27 PM

All in all, I think the OP might be overthinking this. He has one car. A one car garage will be more affordable and provide all the security etc. so much discussed above.

WHEN he gets a partner... they might have completely different ideas about where to live, whether to have a second car (especially if the house is metro-ish), etc.

I mean... are you going to have a bedroom set aside as a nursery, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver