Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It's not like that is really hard to do, for someone as incredibly awesome as Terry Branstad...... when he also has the additional asset of having such a fine looking mustache to help project power and authority. I just read an excellent piece to help explain why he really is the eternal Governor, why he defeats liberal douchebag candidates time after time, and why a statue of his grand form should be erected on the capitol grounds.

The undefeated governor | Cityview
Hitler reincarnate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM

604 posts, read 934,110 times
When a discussion is reduced to name calling and personal attacks it becomes meaningless and a reflection of ignorance.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
When one has no sense of humor they become droll, lifeless bores that no ones wants to be around.

And of course, if that was aimed solely at me (I assume you're one of those sheeple I speak so fondly of) you must have missed the "liberal douchebag" comment that I found hilarious.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Well, the cityview article I posted about "the undefeated governor" clearly shows where the heart of the Iowa democratic party lies, far to the left. They have been picking the most liberal candidate to run against Branstad every time, almost forcing the nomination of the most liberal candidate, when there was more support for the moderate one. This tells me what the IA Dem party stands for and what direction they want to lead our state.....look at Illinois and Wisconsin for what the outcome will be, if they get their way. Sorry about the name calling but douchebag fits well for what they want to do to this state.....flush it down.

Did anyone see the news yesterday, covering the visit of Chris Christie to Iowa? He met Terry Branstad and gave a very warm speech about our fine governor, praising him for his years of service and holding him up as a shining example for what a governor should be, patting him on the back for a job well done.

Is is just me, or is Chris Christie looking much better these days ? Wasn't he involved in some petty bridge squabble.......rather forgetable if you ask me. He's dumped a ton of lard too, think the man is going to have a strong run as the GOP candidate.

Too early to tell about Christie, but he's getting a nice start.

Last edited by mofford; 07-19-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 11:18 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
If I'm not mistaken, Christie underwent a stomach bypass surgery. As such, he did not take most of the lost weight off through his own efforts .
Unless one is totally blindly partisan, I don't see how the Bridgegate scandal in New Jersey, which came about as a result of the direct orders from members of the Christie administration, can be called a "forgettable" thing.
An investigation is underway & it will hopefully reveal the TRUTH as to whether or not Governmr Christie had any role or no role in orcestrating the inexscusable lane closure on the George Washington Bridge. Getting at the TRUTH is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned & let the chips fall where they may.
By the way, I used to have some measure of respect for the man as a governor. Now, I'm in a wait & see mode.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Having gastric bypass surgery still requires effort to lose weight. A big % of those who have it gain much of their weight back. Jut sayin

Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Here's the problem for liberals: seeking "diversity" and wanting to surround oneself with those who hold the same opinions/attitudes as oneself. Doesn't sound like diversity to me. Maybe OP considers "diversity" to mean different skin colors?

Since by definition, liberals seek and embrace diversity; and are generally an inclusive lot it is not the same/ Liberals accept and embrace. I know that many liberals enjoy having friends of diverse political backgrounds, ethnicities and races. Most conservatives do not relish that concept.

The OP's question was cogent and realistic.

Personally, I would look at any city that has a university or college presence.

I am not a Unitarian, however a Unitarian Universalist fellowship is always a welcoming and accepting place.

The cities that house Cornell College, Grinell and the University of Iowa might be worth a look.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM

604 posts, read 934,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since by definition, liberals seek and embrace diversity; and are generally an inclusive lot it is not the same/ Liberals accept and embrace. I know that many liberals enjoy having friends of diverse political backgrounds, ethnicities and races. Most conservatives do not relish that concept.

The OP's question was cogent and realistic.

Personally, I would look at any city that has a university or college presence.

I am not a Unitarian, however a Unitarian Universalist fellowship is always a welcoming and accepting place.

The cities that house Cornell College, Grinell and the University of Iowa might be worth a look.

I would disagree that University towns are a good place to find diversity and that "most conservatives do not relish that concept (diverse ideas and politics) whereas liberals accept and embrace (diverse ideas). Not my experience living most of my life in coastal California and now Twin Cities area. To think of University of Iowa (Iowa City) as a place of conservative acceptance is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
A bonus for Christie, from an Iowa point of view, he probably eats a significant portion of the food we produce, he's almost like a shareholder. I'm sure he would treat Iowa pretty well if he became president. Just hope he hasn't gone a bridge too far, we will have to wait and see about that. I think Governor Rick Perry is going to be his toughest opponent in the GOP field of candidates, provided he don't blank out the middle of his speech like he did last time around. Perry has a very strong economic resume to back him up this time, with what he has done in Texas these past few years. Texas has outperformed every other state in job creation for several years in a row now, quite remarkable and nothing to scoff at.

Of course Hillary will take the Dem nomination for president, but I'm curious how our senate race to replace Tom Harkin's seat is going to turn out. Bruce Braley and Joni Ernst are running neck and neck. Braley really put his foot in his mouth last spring with his lawyer pride remarks, slamming farmers as being unqualified to hold office. Joni Ernst really turned up the heat on Braley. Just curious how women, especially liberal woman will respond to Joni Ernst, considering Iowa still has never elected a woman to the house, the senate, or to the governor's chair. I thought liberal and especially gay women might give her more support than they have, because she likes to castrate. However, the polls show women going for Braley, kind of surprising. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about this race between Ernst & Braley.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
IMO, Christie has zero shot of gaining any real traction in Iowa. He is despised by two very active factions of the Republican base in Iowa. The liberty folks and the evangelicals. You might be able to make some noise by getting one of the groups behind you and not the other (see Ron Paul), but you can't be on the outs with both groups.

He's an establishment guy and I just can't see that working out well for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines