Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Or do we need to build light rail to encourage denser building? It's almost a chicken and the egg argument...
While I agree with Chicago60614, I think there is a lot of truth to this as well. I think light rail would be an attractive feature to young professionals or other people relocating from urban areas. I think it's great that Des Moines is at least thinking of ways to improve and I think it would be really cool to be able to ride light rail to the fairgrounds during the Fair, or to downtown. However, I wonder if a busway system (like the one in Pittsburgh) might be more cost-efficient, considering how spread out the Des Moines metro is.

If Little Rock can do it, (and Iowa City-Cedar Rapids was at least sort of considering it) then Des Moines probably can too. I just hope that if they decide to do it, they make sure to plan it so that it gets used. For example, running a line to Drake would definitely improve ridership as college students would probably be more likely than the average DM-ite to take a train downtown for entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
True, but they're not really true light rail in a sense of commuters and rush hour service, etc.

Kenosha's system is a heritage system about 1.5 miles long that does a loop from the Metra Station through downtown. It gives around 3,000 rider per month. Most decent light rail systems give at least 30,000 or more rides per day.

Little Rock's is a heritage line as well, and had 200,000 rides in a year. A few hundred a day.

Not dissing them, but when you talk about light rail you think more of the systems in St. Louis, Portland or San Fran
Well that was my point. I don't really know Des Moines at all, though, but i was under the assumption Des Moines' proposed system would serve a similar function to Little Rock...primarily to move people around the core with minimal O&M and implementation costs. If the idea is to create something as extensive as the cities you mentioned, then that's quite a different story.

Incidentally, with the comparisons to Tampa...they have their own streetcar: TECO. But it's pretty bare bones and probably won't expand for quite some time.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I remember seeing a list somewhere about cities Des Moines claims to be taller than.

Yet, not even Des Moines, can outdo the Alpha World Major City of Omaha.
Yeah right, nice try Ronald, it was probably your list you are speaking of.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastermindDSM View Post
Well lets remember it took Omaha 11 years to catch up to Des Moines, and I am sure they had 801 Grand in mind when determining how high to go. Official sizes: 801 Grand: 192 meters -First National: 192.9 meters. Not quite 3 feet!
Actually I think their goal to beat was the One Kansas City Place tower. I think FN is only a foot or two taller than that building.

Either way, I think that's a bit petty when constructing a 200million dollar building (or whatever the hell it cost)

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I've live in Sacramento, where they've had light rail for 20+ years.

Its been a COMPLETE failure here. It hasn't stopped suburban sprawl, or kept the downtown from falling apart. There has been no advantage taken of the area around the LRT stations to develop them with housing and employment.... what has happened is it almost exclusively serves Section 8 housing which is gang-infested. Every other week they're hauling some banger off the train with a gun. Inadequate security, etc.

DSM metro does have not have the density to support mass transit other than offering it as a social service to those who have no other way to get around. Anything more than a basic bus system is a HUGE waste of money.
This illustrates why government should not be in control of mass transit.

FYI - streetcars / rail were the instigators of "suburban sprawl" (1900s version).

Though it appears that the rail system "failed" for 20 years, and was implemented to serve the "wrong clientele", consider what will happen in the near future when (a) gasoline prices exceed $5 / gallon, or (b) importation of petroleum is impaired - affecting 70% of the supply.

Before petroleum's rise, there were boats and railroads.
After petroleum's demise, there will be boats and electric railroads.
Plan accordingly.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM

70 posts, read 273,551 times
Lets clear this up once and for all, it is a streetcar or tram that would serve downtown. This is not a Light Rail project such as what is in Minneapolis.

Maybe us Des Moinesers like to think we are bigger than we are, but is there any hurt in that? Keep in mind for a Metro of its size Des Moines has a very high number of workers downtown (70,000+) and has approximately 10,000 downtown residents.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
There are also advantages to starting a system when a city is smaller, getting the rights-of-way and routes together (these things take time), then expand the system as required, rather than starting later and racing to build something in a big, expensive hurry.

That's how you end up with regret, and your kids asking why in the hell didn't our parents have the foresight to build this stuff earlier???

Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
I never started this stupid, unrealistic topic and would like my name removed from it.

Tomorrow you guys can speculate on DSM hosting the 2020 Olympics.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM

137 posts, read 400,423 times
Des Moines has more than enough urban/downtown meat on it to support a streetcar system. I would agree that light rail to the suburban areas doesn't have the numbers at this time.

Streetcars are more about moving people in a centralized area and stimulating economic development along its route. This is were the return on the investment for streetcar systems plays out.

Light rail is more about transportation and TOD development at a station.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM

135 posts, read 548,179 times
During the first half of the 20th century, there was an interurban rain line form DSM to Perry, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines