Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times

Advertisements

Back in the 80s Cedar Rapids had a street car system (a bunch of short busses dressed up like trollies). It ran around downtown. It was a fun idea, but it had no business model in a town where you can just as easily and cheaply hop in your car and drive to your destination.

As much as Des Moines wants to think it is the big time its residents should be proud of the fact they DONT have to rely on public transit to get anyplace. There's a reason Chicago has the EL. PARKING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM

252 posts, read 591,078 times
Interesting concept, I'm honestly torn.

On one hand, we just spent a TON of taxpayer money to alleviate congestion on the interstate system by re-vamping I-235. We have a current commute time that makes bigger cities jealous, the state is super-broke, the option detracts from the state gas tax (which is a form of use-tax for the roadways and is the reason why we don't have toll-ways), and the project would have to charge an arm and a leg to pay for its fixed and operating costs.

On the other hand, we have a bit of a sprawl problem. Des Moines grew too far west in too much of a hurry. Look at Waukee who's residents evacuate the town between 8-5 during the workweek for an example. We have taken suburban sprawl to new heights, and now the city looks sociologically like a big lop-sided doughnut. Unless we get some more big employers in here fast, we don't stand to fill the middle hole with substantial re-gentrification (see a bazillion empty condo's for sale downtown). A monorail system or a light rail would make the city greener therefore appeasing King Obama, and it would make Des Moines a more livable city therefore attracting more residents. All of this not to mention the obvious benefit of a reduced commute time, congestion, and hassle.

Perhaps we could get pappajohn to sell all of his artwork and donate a monorail between the Western Gateway, Jordan Creek, Grimes.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
It would cost too much money but my south side dream would involve a bike ride to the airport and load my bike on the train to downtown, then pick up another train north to Saylorville Lake. And then everytime the president comes to town they can shove him in a smoking car and get him downtown quick, and not have his motorcade screwing up traffic on Fleur Drive. Grassley and Boswell could ride alongside and act as human shields to protect him from insurance company assassins.

We really need something better in DSM proper for north-south movement, not sure if a light rail would help as much as turning SW 9th and 2nd Avenue into a freeway to span the city.

Last edited by mofford; 03-04-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
When we lived on the east side in the 70's and 80's this was an idea under consideration - from downtown to Pleasant Hill! It was going to follow University and serve the fair during it's run and get people to the fairgrounds for all the events to be held there.

Flop.

Of course we're talking east side here so it was an obvious no-go from the get-go. I mean, c'mon they couldn't even get enough speed in their ass to build North Ridge. Jordan Creek put a pin in that "We don't want or need any more malls here" balloon. LMAO!

If they had built it you have to wonder what the shape of DSM and the suburbs would be now. I suppose it really depends more on where Knapp owns property than anything else.

I doubt it will ever happen unless it's between DSM and Waukee, with a loop over to Jordan Creek and the insurance companies there. Drop a stop at 74th in WDM with a short run bus loop east for all those R&R buildings and the jail on Vista and then north on 60th to University and back to Vista across 74th. Veer the light rail north to Waukee or add a park and ride at the interchange they keep mumbling about for Waukee.

I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It would cost too much money but my south side dream would involve a bike ride to the airport and load my bike on the train to downtown, then pick up another train north to Saylorville Lake. And then everytime the president comes to town they can shove him in a smoking car and get him downtown quick, and not have his motorcade screwing up traffic on Fleur Drive. Grassley and Boswell could ride alongside and act as human shields to protect him from insurance company assassins.

We really need something better in DSM proper for north-south movement, not sure if a light rail would help as much as turning SW 9th and 2nd Avenue into a freeway to span the city.
When it came time for us to look for a house to buy we refused to even consider the south side for this reason. Access is horrendous to downtown. Was then, is now, will be in the future. When Fleur was closed in the floods of '93 it really became evident that there needed to be more or better roads, but as you can see it was and is not a priority for the movers and shakers.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
I see no problem with dreaming big. Lack of vision is part of the reason the Midwest has stagnated.

Not all light rail systems are a failure. Charlotte recently established a light rail system, and it has been a success for them, with higher than expected ridership and increasing property values along routes.

In pursuit of light rail, planners need to study why places like Charlotte have succeeded and while others like Sacramento have not. It could be a number of factors such as type of destination, proximity to key neighborhoods, demographics, and walkability around each station. A light rail station surrounded by a huge parking lot and low-density residential is not going to be nearly as successful as one located near mixed-use areas or destinations such as entertainment complexes. Charlotte is a new system as opposed to Sacramento, which was established in the late 80's, so I'm sure much has been learned about what to do and not to do in that 20 year span.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
It's my guess the ever-increasing aging population of this country, who dream of retiring somewhere where they're the least dependent on a car, and our heading in the direction of becoming a third world country, will decide whether Des Moines gets a light rail system or not, overriding the screams and hollers of the naysayers.

Pressure, ego, civic shame, the monkey-see-monkey-do mentality of the U.S. will also be factors in the decision making, whether it's feasible or not will not be part of the ultimate decision to build or not to build it.

Cities like to brag, they have the tallest building in a particular area of the country, the biggest convention center, classiest sympony hall, the most bike path miles, etc.

If a city elsewhere in the country, the size of Des Moines or smaller, demonstrates they can build a light rail system sans high density pockets that's successful, will Des Moines take this all sitting down without embarrassment?

Just like Texas. Dallas is on a full-speed course to have the greatest length of LR tracks in the mid-south, and now they've got Houston, Austin, and San Antonio jealous, and they feel like they've been slapped in the face, and will react accordingly. Monkey-see-monkey-do?

When travelers, like myself, get addicted to flying to an Airport, having a LR train greet them upon their departure at the terminal, to whisk them DT, they are going to demand this, more and more, in their travels, and skip over the cities that won't provide that luxury.

Las Vegas doesn't even have a LR system on the drawing boards, LOL! And who's going to pressure this city to finally get one? The tourists and our senior population! Count on it!

Des Moines will get light rail, no if's, and's or but's about it. One day!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:03 PM

When we go to Vegas we just rent an SUV for the week. It doesn't cost much and we go wherever we want, whenever we want, including the Valley of Fire and Red Rock. Next trip we're driving to St. George Utah to visit some friends we met on our last cruise. No need for LR for us!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM

36 posts, read 113,360 times
No way Des Moines is too easy to get around...unless you are driving from West Des Moines to Pleasant Hill. Then you might as well drive to the Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines