Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't think there's really an answer to this issue or a solution other than what has been discussed. I think the fact it's in Des Moines is more a side issue than any actual contributor to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM

37 posts, read 102,826 times
hmm I am also black, and worked as a firefighter for years out in Nebraska, in which i've had that pleasure of befriending many somoli's, ethiopians, sudanese, etc who reside there. Your attitude seems to be a little skewed.. You have to understand these people are generally NOT americanized, and don't hang with most AA's because mostly of black american attitude/social standards(which are very low in the eyes of most REAL Africans, heck even in myself). Your issue seems to be a cultural problem. Believe it or not many countries AREN'T America and DON'T have the same social beliefs as you do and may not value women(or material possesions) the same as an American guy will(even though that's questionable with some american males, there's still many "barefoot & pregnant" attitudes around as well)

But honestly if they give you a dirty look or talk down to you why should you care? You're not still trying to be friends with them correct? you should just say f-em and meet other people until you got a good group of real friends. Problem Solved

Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM

99 posts, read 327,407 times
Man, the one thing that I've learned in life is that its what you make of it. YOU chose to move to Des Moines. Did you do your research? There are barely 25,000 of us in the metropolitan Des Moines, out of roughly 550,000 people. There's only 94,000 African Americans (counting biracial ones) in the last American Community Survey (2009). You didn't expect to see ATL North, did you?

I myself am African American, and from the Quad Cities, with similar AA demographics (27,000/381,000). When you are in a place such as the Quad Cities, or Des Moines, and there are very few peoples of color, most of that growth stems from word-of-mouth. People don't know these areas, like a Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles, from watching TV, or reading about them in their newspapers. The point being: EVERYONE WITHIN THAT SUBSET POPULATION KNOWS ONE ANOTHER. Not literally speaking. But there's that six degrees thing going on. If I don't know you, then perhaps my brother, or father knows you. You look at one block, and everyone, it seems, comes from Marion, Alabama, and you look across the road, and everyone on that side is from Bainbridge, Georgia. In our area, the blacks are generally from Kemper, Winston, and Lafayette counties in Mississippi, or the Mississippi Delta counties in Arkansas. I say all of this to prove a point: People are going to be cliquish, because they like the familiarity!! It's like someone coming up to the front porch of your family's house in Pittsburgh asking how you're all doing, and you all give them that look...LOL. It doesn't mean that you don't like them; you're probably thinking "Do I know you from somewhere?" I'm certain that when the whites of Kaiserslautern, Germany arrived here in the QC, they, too, aligned into class, political, and religious cliques. I didn't say all of it was right, but that's the world, IMO.

Generally in life, we (meaning people of any race) tend to measure the rest of the world by our own cultural mores and standards. Perhaps you're disappointed, coming from a metro area that has some of the most inspiring, educated and wealthy African Americans in the nation. You look around, and there's hardly any black professionals, or college educated blacks. I know that feeling. (well, the latter example) On the other hand, the ATL also has some of the highest crime rates in the country, sorriest public schools, and incompetent leadership on God's green earth, although Shirley Franklin seemed like a pretty good mayor during her tenure. Now, if I came down to Atlanta and treated people as if they were out of a rap video, or genetically stupid, or if I looked at the city's leaders as if they were all incompetent, rather than SOME, how do you think they would respond to me? They might treat me in a cold manner. I'm only judging you by your contradictory first message, when you ripped others attitudes towards you, and then proceeded to streotype black folk in Des Moines.

You're knocking the fact that Des Moines doesn't have the hairstylists that you want, but what are YOU doing to rectify the situation? BTW, I saw just as many people with jheri curls, and weaves in California, New Orleans and Mississippi as I see in Iowa...LOL. And who said that jheri curls were necessarily bad? On second thought, just forget what I said...LOL. Every place has its own culture; you just find the one that suits you. I like straight-up indidividuals, and educated cities and towns, so I'll probably be on the East Coast, or chillin' in Seattle eventually...lol.

As far as cliquishness goes, it has nothing to do with being black: you could live in the heart of Chi-Town in the Gold Coast, or in the Mission District of San Francisco, and people might give you that "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" look if the don't know you...lol. As far as the African and Carribean populations are concerned, I don't know many. Made a few friends at my alma mater (UNI) from the Sudan, but that doesn't make me an expert of East African affairs, ya dig? Perhaps the brother from Nebraska was partly correct when he stated that they can't stand what passes for "normality" in so many (NOT ALL) black communities, although I could find something wrong about some African immigrant--hell, ANY racial, national, or ethnic group--if I was hanging arounf them long enough. I hope that you find some good people while you're up there, and stick around for a few years!! Everytime I hear people in these parts complain about "commute" times, I think about being stuck in traffic on I-80 in suburban Chicago, and think to myself, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!" LOL

Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghDiva View Post
I recently moved to Des Moines from Atlanta, I am a Black female and I have noticed the warm welcome from Whites as opposed to Blacks and Africans, Can someone please tell me why Blacks and Africans in Des Moines feel that they are more superior than thier Black counterparts?

I mean, we are all of color, yet they look at you and roll thier eyes, stare you up and down and will not speak. The Whites... will speak, hold a conversation, shake your hand and they are easier to work with.

From what I have seen this far there is no reason for the negative reaction... It's 2009 and half are still wearing clothes from the late 80's early 90's, Jerri curls, the barbers can't cut hair for the life of me, they don't know what soul food is, and the females I have seen wear their hair... not even in a style! If I see another hi-low fade or a mohawk I will scream!! Catch up to the times!!
To me this is nothing peculiar to your area. I have seen that very often in other parts of the country, read about it, etc. To me there is more than one reason why that happens. Some black do discriminate against whites of darker skin and viceversa. Other do have social status biases agains other blacks. In all fairness it is not black that do that. There are whites that do discriminate and/or look down of whites of lower economic/social status. I am a latino and have seen how mexicans from the US have looked down on mexican recently emigrated from Mexico.

We humans have this sad and ugly part of us that disciminate on others for many reasons even if they are of the same race, nationality, ethnic group and gender because I have seen women threat other women the same way. What really is amazing that groups that have suffered discrimination from others show the same thing on others even of those in their same group.

Now, on the last part of your message. I have a different view though. I am latino but I do not hold this strong view that I must eat, wear, speak, etc. Mexican because I happen to have a Mexican descent. I do speak Spanish and was raised part of my life in Mexico and I am very proud of my heritage but I do not expect that others do the same if they have never had any contact with the culture of their forefathers.

The bottom line you are part of the HUMAN race. Everything after that is simply you are product of your environment so I do not expect someone with Mexican root to act Mexican as if he is supposed to have Mexican genes in his body.

Now that I think about it. Is it possible that you reflect an attitude to blacks in your area as you expect them to behave the same way black from where you came from behave? If so, then it makes sense to me their reaction to your possible condescending attitude on them.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 PM

43 posts, read 145,737 times
OMG!! I never asked for a lecture!! I did my research business wise. The hair, styles and that are not as important as the money I am making here. I love Des Moines. I was simply commenting on the fact that I notice how some AA's and Africans can be ignorant as people claim that Whites can be racist to AA's.... The Whites have been friendlier and down to Earth, yet some can be stupid just the same. Anyway... I could'nt read all of what you wrote, too time consuming. Thanks for the input

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Wow! I seem to have offended some people... I will close this discussion... I guess you can't speak your mind these days.. tisk... tisk

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Wow! I seem to have offended some people... I will close this discussion... I guess you can't speak your mind these days.. tisk... tisk
You can speak your mind, TSK TSK. You commented and got feedback, not a lecture. A thick skin is good to have. What did you expect? For everybody to agree with your comments?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You can speak your mind, TSK TSK. You commented and got feedback, not a lecture. A thick skin is good to have. What did you expect? For everybody to agree with your comments?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
I have thick skin... born that way. I appreciate the feedback and NO I was/am not expecting everyone to agree with me. I was mainly curious to know if anyone else encountered this type of "behavior" here in Des Moine.
It's a learning experience. My uncle is Nigerian and I asked him as well.

I stated that I can't speak my mind because of a racist/discriminatory message I had recieve that was uncalled for but it proves that ignorance in some races still exist. I will keep my Americanized Black azz here... Although I was advised to get the "F" out! LMAO!!!

You just gotta love these people. I wish I could repost the whole message so everyone could laugh!!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I have thick skin... born that way. I appreciate the feedback and NO I was/am not expecting everyone to agree with me. I was mainly curious to know if anyone else encountered this type of "behavior" here in Des Moine.
It's a learning experience. My uncle is Nigerian and I asked him as well.

I stated that I can't speak my mind because of a racist/discriminatory message I had recieve that was uncalled for but it proves that ignorance in some races still exist. I will keep my Americanized Black azz here... Although I was advised to get the "F" out! LMAO!!!

You just gotta love these people. I wish I could repost the whole message so everyone could laugh!!
Thanks for the clarification. I actually should have asked if your reply was due to my messages since you did not address it to anyone specifically.

I got it now.

Racism or for that matter just about any type of discrimination I do not think will ever stop. In one form or another people are still that way, sad but a true reality.

To me those that have written to you simply show their narrow mind and possibly their insecurity. OOPS!! I will probably get something now that I wrote that. I have my share of "Go back to Mexico" comments too. Actually in my case those people actually make me laugh. They do not realize how funny they look with their irate and ignorant comments.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,861 times
I can't believe people would actually message people that stuff, although I shouldn't be that surprised after some of the stuff I see people post on here. Don't judge Iowa by those kind of jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines