Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 6,759 times

Advertisements

I would like to fly into Detroit, then rent a car to drive to Kitchener.

Flight is cheap, but car rental is expensive. The cheapest I got was close to $400 from a Tuesday in early November for 8 day. Can someone give me ideas if I can find something cheaper?

Also, I figured the car drive to Kitchener would be 3 hours. Is it an easy commute? Any pitfalls driving out of the airport. Is there a lot of traffic around 8 or so in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,946,543 times
Driving out of DTW toward the Ambassador Bridge at the time will put you in the midst of morning rush hour traffic into the city. There is also a bunch of construction on I-94 around the airport this summer.

Once you get across the bridge and into Canada its a straight, somewhat boring, somewhat truck-congested, relatively easy drive up to Kitchener on the 401.

I'd allow for 4 hours, even though on paper it says 3 hours.

Make sure you have your passport.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,255,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Make sure you have your passport.
And make sure you tell the rental company you are leaving the country. Canada isn't a problem for most company's (Mexico is a problem) but they still want to know. It's in the "fine print".
It requires proof of insurance, either insurance you buy from the rental people or that is covered by a credit card. But you need to be sure your credit card covers Canada.
Your best bet to streamline the process is to buy the rent a car insurance but it will be expensive.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:13 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,946,543 times
I've taken rentals over to Ontario all the time for work and never had an issue.
I've never informed the rental company, but I could imagine is only a problem if you have an issue like an accident or a break-down.

I've always had the contract available in case I get asked at the border. I've been asked by customs agents where I got the rental from but I've never actually had to show the papers yet.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Right now, due to covid, morning rush hour is virtually non-existent. However I do not think you are allowed to cross over to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit