Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 11:54 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,167,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
There are several issues:
1) They always do a terrible job of "selling" the RTA; never give clear plans, clear costs, clear timing. Everyone is highly skeptical of another government bureaucracy sitting on top of other transit agencies that to this day fail to deliver at basic service levels.
1) I agree. SMART and DDOT should be merged into one system, the RTA, eliminating needless bureaucracies. Not 3 bureaucracies, just one.

Quote:
There are several issues:
2) They don't even try to address any of the transit issues in some of these outer lying areas; just assume they will pay and get no ROI
2) I have asked this question on another Detroit forum and I have never been given an answer. So I will ask you. What are the "transit issues" in the outer lying areas? What ROI do these communities want? What service would they buy into, or is this their desire just to not have any service and not pay anything into better regional transit?

Quote:
3) There is millage and tax fatigue; as said above there have been so many other local level millages for police, fire, schools, local roads, etc. that people are tired of constantly voting in replacement or new taxes.
3)Well...do you want services, infrastructure, and quality of life or not?

-I did an analysis of funding of public transit in the US, and I determined that the Detroit area is the only metro area of the 30 LARGEST METROS that relies on PROPERTY TAXES to fund transit. (San Fran/Oakland and Seattle both have small property taxes that go to transit, but those taxes are very minor sources of local transit funding, local sales tax being the biggest source of transit funding).

-I also determined that of the metro areas that provide some sort of rapid transit, only ONE metro area in the country RELIES on property taxes for local funding - Indianapolis, which 6 months ago started a BRT Line.

-Detroit needs to consolidate into one authority and then we need to get the legislature to pass an amendment allowing the authority to take local sales tax increases to the vote of the people. In California, at least 62% of the people have to vote in favor in order to get a transit tax passed.

-Local sales tax will allow us to pass off transit funding to visiting businessmen, tourists, truck drivers passing through, and Canadian workers/shoppers from Windsor/Essex. Renters, property owners, and visitors all share in the funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,127,482 times
This is so disappointing and deflating to me... I love Detroit and its people, and the City has so much going for it and is doing so many good things to bring it back, but it continues to miss the boat on mass transit, which would be the linchpin in pulling everything together and allowing the City to really take off...

... I try and stay hopeful that attitudes will change and shovels will be going into the ground building that mythical rapid transit/subway line... But mythical is the operative word... Judging by officials attitudes, which are reflected on the Detroit C-D board, it's as if Detroiters exist on another planet when it comes to mass transit, and that ain't good...

Old 02-27-2020, 12:46 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,501,017 times
I'm not buying or selling mass transit, but people who aren't going to use it don't want to pay a tax for it. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM

171 posts, read 189,636 times
I'm sure we pay taxes towards a lot of things we won't personally use. Folks don't realize how bad the transit system here is til they're forced to use it. Other areas realize that having a proper transit system is good for the region, even if they will never use it themselves.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,127,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I'm not buying or selling mass transit, but people who aren't going to use it don't want to pay a tax for it. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.
Exhibit A.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Exhibit A.
Exhibit A of what? I told you I'm not buying or selling, just trying to explain the thinking of someone out in the outer burbs and why they would reject a mass transit proposal. Are you actually interested in persuading these people or do you just want to call them stupid so you can feel superior?

Old 02-28-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2c313 View Post
I'm sure we pay taxes towards a lot of things we won't personally use. Folks don't realize how bad the transit system here is til they're forced to use it. Other areas realize that having a proper transit system is good for the region, even if they will never use it themselves.
True, but this would be a new tax and not an inconsequential one at that. It's a tough sell.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
They did not reject it, they said they wanted a rational and thoughtful approach to it. Not just "lets throw a bunch of money at it and see what we get" I think we need a regional transit system but I have no problems with a rational approach in lieu of normal half-hazard decision making.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
OK, bye!
Just the other day, I was doing some research on a small amusement Park in Portland on the Portland City-Data forum page, and I saw that you started a thread in that forum asking for recommendations for things to do/see. If you visit that city, I hope that you notice it is a place...

...where the city and suburbs don't hate each other
...where they work together
...where they invested in building streetcar and light rail lines in the 1990's that have contributed to the quality of life of the region, enhanced the vibrancy and directed investment into the city's core (making its downtown and adjacent Pearl District one of the nation's most unique and bustling centers), and has facilitated the curbing of suburban sprawl (along with their urban growth boundary).

Old 02-28-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They did not reject it, they said they wanted a rational and thoughtful approach to it. Not just "lets throw a bunch of money at it and see what we get" I think we need a regional transit system but I have no problems with a rational approach in lieu of normal half-hazard decision making.
Sir, these folks want their individual communities to be able to opt-out of the regional transit authority. It is not about funding management and efficiency, it is about not funding it at all. What Mr. Digby Sellers said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit