Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM

106 posts, read 414,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Mt. Clemens is a mini Pontiac, I would worry.

Especially now with the mob attacks, which are being investigated as hate crimes since its a group of 25 black males beating up on white males/females.
Agreed. Unfortunately the media is burying the fact that a black mob beat up white people at random. They never mention the races of the victims or the attackers in the stories I've read so far. If it was a white mob attacking blacks, the whole national media would be camped out in Mt. Clemens. How pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 AM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Gotta admit, those stories are frightening. I don't think the actions of a few, one mob, should keep us out of Mt Clemens, because then they have won. But I would avoid going there until things settle down.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:10 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I lived in Clinton Township, near Mt. Clemens. and it was perfectly fine. My friends tell me the area is still like that....Frozen in Time. Kids playing in the front yards. Dads mowing lawns. Moms gossiping over the fenceline. That sort of suburbia. We lived betwwen west of Clinton river rd and Romeo Plank. My best friend lives near 16 mile and Grosebeck near the Catholic school I attended and he says it's great. No problems.
Good Luck!
Sounds very idyllic alright. My question is... as a 30-ish single... will I find anyone like me there -- as in, single and in their 20s-30s?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times
To be honest with you, I wouldn't know. When I was growing up in the area, it was a family community. There were at least 300 homes in the subdivision and almost all were occupied by families. When we moved in '89, the man that bought our house was in his 30's and single. His brother was going to move in and help out with the bills. I recently dropped by to see the neighborhood and it still looks the same. The man married his girlfriend and know has a family in the very same home. I got teary-eyed when I left. As for night life in the area? I hear downtown Mt. Clemens is happening. But my friends and I always went to downtown d-town for fun. The neighborhood was the best. Quiet and friendly!

If that's what you want, I could give you the street names and the link on google maps.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM

15 posts, read 48,867 times
I work in downtown Mt. Clemens and have always felt safe. If you have kids, though, the schools do not have a very good reputation.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:10 PM

It seems to me that the single population in Detroit is more spread out evenly throughout the metro area, much like Southern California. I find places like Chicago and Minneapolis, the single population is heavily concentrated in the city core, while Denver has a higher concentration in the core, but still quite a few in the suburbs.

Is that observation somewhat correct in terms of the Detroit area? I know Royal Oak is known as a younger, single person-type of place, but are there any other areas with a similar reputation, or is the area more mixed?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Ferndale is another.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
It seems to me that the single population in Detroit is more spread out evenly throughout the metro area, much like Southern California. I find places like Chicago and Minneapolis, the single population is heavily concentrated in the city core, while Denver has a higher concentration in the core, but still quite a few in the suburbs.

Is that observation somewhat correct in terms of the Detroit area? I know Royal Oak is known as a younger, single person-type of place, but are there any other areas with a similar reputation, or is the area more mixed?
That's true! DTW really doesn't have a core of single people,per se. But Royal Oak And Ferndale may be options. Now, I know Ferndale has a larger gay population, so I hope you wouldn't mind that. Gay pride is held there every year from what I understand. Too bad Downtown DTW didn't revitalized their areas for residential. Sure there are condos here and there. But it's not the same as MSP, ORD, or IND. Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM

I don't know much about Ferndale -- I haven't been there in the past. Does it have an active downtown area like Royal Oak?

The downside of cities like Minneapolis and Chicago (is that ORD?) is the costs get driven up so high in those urban areas that are filled with singles. As a result, it's tough to make ends meet in those areas.

What is the status of downtown Detroit these days -- how much has it changed in the last 7-8 years? I used to go to the Hockeytown Cafe everytime I was in town... love that place, as you might expect from my name...

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 PM

172 posts, read 486,011 times
Hey, thats the area I grew up in! I have to admit, while it was nice being there as a kid, it's not the best area for transplanted singles, as folks can be quite "cliquey" around there. You also have to watch yourself in portions of both Mt. Clemens -AND- Clinton Township. As for the singles scene, you would definately be happier in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area, much more oriented towards the single life whereas east-central macomb is more family oriented and spread-out. Downtown Detroit is another possible option, but is unfortunately surrounded by some pretty rough neighborhoods!

ps
I think brikag is an aviation buff and Chicago could be either ORD/CUBS (Northside) or MDW/SOX (Southside)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit