Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times

Advertisements

If the entire Metro can move together, anything is possible! Just look at Chicago as an example & follow through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

271 posts, read 369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Detroit can rise again... But not like it was.

Why? There is no need.

Detroit boomed because incredible manpower was needed to stoke the furnaces of the car industry. Everything was manual, and the US supplied cars to THE WORLD.

Because of modern building techniques that require far fewer people and logistics and transportation that are dispersed yet more efficient, there will probably never be the need for anywhere near as many people to drive the car manufacturing industry - even if it all did go home to the city.

Detroit's future lays in bringing in a cavalcade of other smaller, but more modern industries. Someone just has to figure out what they are and start them.
Detroit began its downturn as early as 1920 which culminated with the race riots in 1943 – that left 34 people dead. In the 1950 white people left for the suburbs. In the 90s the African-American middle class left for the suburbs. When the 1967 race riots occurred, about 500,000 white people had already left and 67-riots only accelerated white flight. Metropolitan Detroit actually grew until 2000 but has now shrunk to the size of the 70s. Clearly, the population shrunk 1950-1970 because of white flight rather than the death of the car industry. It is true that the car industry did leave Detroit.

This event occurred in the late 70s but the processes began when Packard shut down in 1958. There are plenty of variables which explain why Detroit went from a success story to ruins. Detroit is pretty much a dead city. Even though the population does not shrink as fast as before – the people whom constitute the vast majority of the population have low incomes, low education and are statistically overrepresented in crime statistics regardless of social class. Most of Detroit is just ruins – from streets to houses to local government. Looking at the data for metropolitan Detroit – you see little hope of any change. Cities can come back – like Denver, Boston, Washington DC and Minneapolis – but in a state like Michigan? Well, the truth is that the future of the entire state is pretty gloomy even though Michigan is better off than many other states.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:08 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
That's not true at all. People (unions, politicians, etc.) does stuff that hurts their municipalities all the time. In California, why would the state employees get paid so much while taxes on the citizens go through the roof?

Same in New York State

Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Detroit began its downturn as early as 1920 which culminated with the race riots in 1943 – that left 34 people dead. In the 1950 white people left for the suburbs. In the 90s the African-American middle class left for the suburbs. When the 1967 race riots occurred, about 500,000 white people had already left and 67-riots only accelerated white flight. Metropolitan Detroit actually grew until 2000 but has now shrunk to the size of the 70s. Clearly, the population shrunk 1950-1970 because of white flight rather than the death of the car industry. It is true that the car industry did leave Detroit.

This event occurred in the late 70s but the processes began when Packard shut down in 1958. There are plenty of variables which explain why Detroit went from a success story to ruins. Detroit is pretty much a dead city. Even though the population does not shrink as fast as before – the people whom constitute the vast majority of the population have low incomes, low education and are statistically overrepresented in crime statistics regardless of social class. Most of Detroit is just ruins – from streets to houses to local government. Looking at the data for metropolitan Detroit – you see little hope of any change. Cities can come back – like Denver, Boston, Washington DC and Minneapolis – but in a state like Michigan? Well, the truth is that the future of the entire state is pretty gloomy even though Michigan is better off than many other states.

The auto industry was never much in Detroit. Ford has been in Dearborn for decades. Chrysler was in Highland Park, then Auburn Hills. GM main facility has been in Warren since 1955. Every other city in America also experienced white flight.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 PM

231 posts, read 394,264 times
No.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The auto industry was never much in Detroit. Ford has been in Dearborn for decades. Chrysler was in Highland Park, then Auburn Hills. GM main facility has been in Warren since 1955. Every other city in America also experienced white flight.
So why is Detroit so F… up?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM

70 posts, read 145,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
So why is Detroit so F… up?
Because of the people. Back in the day when the auto industry brought up people from the south to work in the auto plants, they all moved into Detroit. The current residents saw new people, i.e. blacks and immigrants, and they were nervous so they left for the burbs. That left pretty much no solid municipal leadership which led to years of downfall, all the while the suburbs were booming with growth and support. While living in a deteriorating city, some Detroiters then resorted to lifestyles of crime, further bringing down the city of Detroit. When many of the good folks left (those who want nothing to do with crime), it left very little to prosper on. There was no leadership. Now as the year 2014 is upon us, that select group from Detroit who would rather live the crime ridden/violent lifestyle are now migrating to the burbs as well (Southfield, Oak Park, Westland, Canton, Eastpointe etc). Now what's happening??? The same thing that happened 50 years ago... Families are now running for Brighton, Hartland, and Howell rather than sticking around to fix the issues. Good people leave and then the schools go down hill, crime goes up, property values go down, insurance rates go up...It's a nasty cycle. People who want to make life better keep running away to the oasis leaving people who don't care to run cities that are left behind.

And I know there's people here that will throw the race card at me for what I just explained, but it has nothing to do with race! There's good whites, there's good blacks...There's violent whites, there's violent blacks. It's not a race problem...to me at least. Its a crime and lack of leadership problem. The people who want good and want to raise their families run from those who would rather steal and cheat the system. And what happens when good people/families leave? It leaves criminals and people who don't care about the prosperity of cities behind, which ultimately leads to downfalls of certain areas, like Detroit. Now a lot of good people are moving into the heart of Detroit and making changes for the better. I see it as a wave. I have faith Detroit will come back, starting from Downtown and moving outward. But at the same time, I see the downfall of inner ring suburbs happening as well.

It's like a wave pool at the water park. Starting from the core (Downtown) the peaks move outward, much like money, good leadership, and prosperity can be viewed as a high point. That high point moves outward away from the city, leaving a trough in its wake. I think that's what we are seeing now. That peak wave with all the good is on a ring from Troy, to Bloomfield Twp, to Northville/Novi, Canton, and now moving north and west to Livingston & N. Oakland County. And the trough behind that is the outskirts of Detroit and Inner Ring Burbs. A new wave is now generating downtown/midtown that I feel will start affecting those bordering neighborhoods and eventually spread deeper into the neighborhoods of Detroit. Again, I see it as a cycle... I think there will be a lot of good in Detroit in the future, but at the same time, that trough will have spread to the suburbs (Where all the crime and lack of funds will reside). In a perfect world the whole area would be highly attractive, but there's just too many people who would rather cheat and steal and kill to make it in this world, so there will always be that trough...that area with a low point where the problems are at.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy252 View Post
Because of the people. Back in the day when the auto industry brought up people from the south to work in the auto plants, they all moved into Detroit. The current residents saw new people, i.e. blacks and immigrants, and they were nervous so they left for the burbs. That left pretty much no solid municipal leadership which led to years of downfall, all the while the suburbs were booming with growth and support. While living in a deteriorating city, some Detroiters then resorted to lifestyles of crime, further bringing down the city of Detroit. When many of the good folks left (those who want nothing to do with crime), it left very little to prosper on. There was no leadership. Now as the year 2014 is upon us, that select group from Detroit who would rather live the crime ridden/violent lifestyle are now migrating to the burbs as well (Southfield, Oak Park, Westland, Canton, Eastpointe etc). Now what's happening??? The same thing that happened 50 years ago... Families are now running for Brighton, Hartland, and Howell rather than sticking around to fix the issues. Good people leave and then the schools go down hill, crime goes up, property values go down, insurance rates go up...It's a nasty cycle. People who want to make life better keep running away to the oasis leaving people who don't care to run cities that are left behind.

And I know there's people here that will throw the race card at me for what I just explained, but it has nothing to do with race! There's good whites, there's good blacks...There's violent whites, there's violent blacks. It's not a race problem...to me at least. Its a crime and lack of leadership problem. The people who want good and want to raise their families run from those who would rather steal and cheat the system. And what happens when good people/families leave? It leaves criminals and people who don't care about the prosperity of cities behind, which ultimately leads to downfalls of certain areas, like Detroit. Now a lot of good people are moving into the heart of Detroit and making changes for the better. I see it as a wave. I have faith Detroit will come back, starting from Downtown and moving outward. But at the same time, I see the downfall of inner ring suburbs happening as well.

It's like a wave pool at the water park. Starting from the core (Downtown) the peaks move outward, much like money, good leadership, and prosperity can be viewed as a high point. That high point moves outward away from the city, leaving a trough in its wake. I think that's what we are seeing now. That peak wave with all the good is on a ring from Troy, to Bloomfield Twp, to Northville/Novi, Canton, and now moving north and west to Livingston & N. Oakland County. And the trough behind that is the outskirts of Detroit and Inner Ring Burbs. A new wave is now generating downtown/midtown that I feel will start affecting those bordering neighborhoods and eventually spread deeper into the neighborhoods of Detroit. Again, I see it as a cycle... I think there will be a lot of good in Detroit in the future, but at the same time, that trough will have spread to the suburbs (Where all the crime and lack of funds will reside). In a perfect world the whole area would be highly attractive, but there's just too many people who would rather cheat and steal and kill to make it in this world, so there will always be that trough...that area with a low point where the problems are at.
More self-serving disgruntled-suburbanite Fox "News" drivel. So black people ruined the city while industry, the right-wing trickle-down economy, and the suburban mentality had absolutely nothing to do with any of it. Typical.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 06-17-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
I think so! I keep saying writers, especially excited writers like me, can help by convincing people Detroit is an awesome place to visit and live. Of course, other industries will need to be found as well... but I think Detroit can be saved!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy252 View Post

So blacks and immigrants came to Detroit in the 1930-1950 and brought crime with them. White people left for the suburbs and blacks and immigrants destroyed Detroit? Now they are moving out to the suburbs and turn the suburbs into another Detroit? Is that what you are telling me Jimmy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I think so! I keep saying writers, especially excited writers like me, can help by convincing people Detroit is an awesome place to visit and live. Of course, other industries will need to be found as well... but I think Detroit can be saved!
Show us evidence that Detroit can be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
More self-serving disgruntled-suburbanite Fox "News" drivel. So black people ruined the city while industry, the right-wing trickle-down economy, and the suburban mentality had absolutely nothing to do with any of it. Typical.
So the suburbs are to blame for 60-70 years of mismanagement in Detroit?

Last edited by Sconesforme; 06-17-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit