Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times

Advertisements

Eating too much sugar doesn't cause diabetes. No one said it did. Too much sugar and carbohydrates do contribute to reduced insulin sensitivity. If your insulin sensitivity is reduced, you don't metabolize nutrients properly. It's a factor like everything else.
I doubt it's healthy to eat alot of carbs/sugar for anyone.

Why anyone would get hung up on a sign versus symptom as you did initially is anybody's guess;you're probably a newbie trying desperately to prove yourself to the world. Relax, making a misstake won't hurt your ego that bad. I make them myself as "a sign versus a symptom."
Eating sugar and simple carbs isn't good for anyone, diabetes or not.There's alot of research studies indicating the potential negatives of this. Maybe not in the traditional journals you read, but it's out there.Let me guess, you're an allopathy lover, too, and you've got to be from the northeast.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-27-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Hey, easy with the "northeast"... Stereotypes never helped anyone

We are all in agreement here: eating too much sugar will not cause diabetes, but it is certainly not good for you!!! At least, we can all agree on this ( i hope)

Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Eating too much sugar doesn't cause diabetes. No one said it did. Too much sugar and carbohydrates do contribute to reduced insulin sensitivity. If your insulin sensitivity is reduced, you don't metabolize nutrients properly. It's a factor like everything else.
I doubt it's healthy to eat alot of carbs/sugar for anyone.

Prove that too much sugar and carbohydrates contribute to insulin sensitivity.

You keep stating this as if its a proven fact. It isn't.

Why anyone would get hung up on a sign versus symptom as you did initially is anybody's guess;you're probably a newbie trying desperately to prove yourself to the world. Relax, making a misstake won't hurt your ego that bad. I make them myself as "a sign versus a symptom."
Eating sugar and simple carbs isn't good for anyone, diabetes or not.There's alot of research studies indicating the potential negatives of this. Maybe not in the traditional journals you read, but it's out there.Let me guess, you're an allopathy lover, too, and you've got to be from the northeast.
Again you are the one who made the mistake on sign vs symptom, I didn't.

Let me guess you are a nurse probably trained in therapeutic touch and as for non allopathic "journals" and the " research" therein....not worth the paper they are printed on....

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Hey, easy with the "northeast"... Stereotypes never helped anyone

We are all in agreement here: eating too much sugar will not cause diabetes, but it is certainly not good for you!!! At least, we can all agree on this ( i hope)

Agreed.....

Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 PM

Insulin Resistance Syndrome - [Alternative Medicine]
Reference 10-- Current Opinion Lipidology 1997 1997;8;23-27 the rationale for a diet low in carbs ( lower than public health guidelines) and how this improves insulin sensitivity.
Also, preliminary evidence from some, though not all regarding human research; consumption of low glycemic index foods improve insulin sensitivity.

Obesity and Insulin resistance--how obesity leads to it Obesity and insulin resistance

Insulin resistance & Diabetes Web Medicine - Bringing You the Best Medical Sites on the Web.

Other diseases and Insulin metabolism
Exercise Lowers Insulin In Breast Cancer Survivors Breast cancer and levels of insulin in the blood, possibly why obese/overweight women are at a higher risk for breast cancer

Mednet.com citing American Heart Association study 6/16/08 Insulin and Peripheral Artery Disease

Pancreatic cancer and consumption of sugar-- Consumption of sugar and sugar-sweetened foods and the risk of pancreatic cancer in a prospective study -- Larsson et al. 84 (5): 1171 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition American Nutrition Journal, Nov. 2006

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-27-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
and as for non allopathic "journals" and the " research" therein....not worth the paper they are printed on....
This is a personal bias, not a well-informed remark.

All of these places research non-allopathic treatments and report on them:

NIH (Nat'l Institute of Health). Well-researched alternative medicine.
(They're almost considered traditional by now, unlesss you've been living under a rock) Mandated by "gov't" to research alternatives.
MD Anderson Cancer Center. A big well-known cancer center. Not worth the paper their printed on?

Tahoma Clinic. Dr. Wright.Cutting edge MD, well-researched articles. Nutritional medical clinic.

American Holistic Medical Association.

Susan Love, MD, a leader in breast cancer research, a pioneer in complementary approaches to self-care.

Sloan Kettering. "About Herbs." Research on Herbs. (Those fools at Sloan Kettering).

CAM/Nat'l Cancer Institute.

ACAM Amer. College for Advancement in Medicine. ACAM. Nutritional advances/prevention.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Insulin Resistance Syndrome - [Alternative Medicine]
Reference 10-- Current Opinion Lipidology 1997 1997;8;23-27 the rationale for a diet low in carbs ( lower than public health guidelines) and how this improves insulin sensitivity.
Also, preliminary evidence from some, though not all regarding human research; consumption of low glycemic index foods improve insulin sensitivity.

Obesity and Insulin resistance--how obesity leads to it Obesity and insulin resistance

Insulin resistance & Diabetes Web Medicine - Bringing You the Best Medical Sites on the Web.

Other diseases and Insulin metabolism
Exercise Lowers Insulin In Breast Cancer Survivors Breast cancer and levels of insulin in the blood, possibly why obese/overweight women are at a higher risk for breast cancer

Mednet.com citing American Heart Association study 6/16/08 Insulin and Peripheral Artery Disease

Pancreatic cancer and consumption of sugar-- Consumption of sugar and sugar-sweetened foods and the risk of pancreatic cancer in a prospective study -- Larsson et al. 84 (5): 1171 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition American Nutrition Journal, Nov. 2006

Wow, you really showed me....

The first "reference" a "worthless" (IMO) alternative site, does nothing to bolster your case in fact, if you bothered to read it the authors suggest that a high carbohydrate may actually IMPROVE insulin sensitivity.....which is only the exact OPPOSITE of what you were trying to prove....

Second reference....a given. No one is arguing the link between obesity and insulin resistance. Nothing about sugar leading to insulin resistance.

Third "reference" isn't a reference at all, just a useless webring that does nothing to bolster your argument. I'll stick with pubmed.

4th, 5th and 6th references.....nothing to do with the argument at hand which to re-visit is that "high carbohydrate, high sugar diet leads to insulin resistance."

Not impressed.....

Old 06-27-2008, 04:29 PM

You only read the part that you wanted to. Yes,some studies indicate a high carb diet is good for diabetics (perhaps because fat is reduced and they, therefore, lose weight--thereby improving insulin sensitivity). Part of that article says that.
The other part is talking about how a low carb diet is more beneficial. As always, with research, there are different studies to indicate different things.
Most physicians use what works for the individual.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:45 PM

This study says:
That dietary increases of fructose consumption from a high intake of sucrose (sugar) and high fructose corn syrup (sugar)leads to a high flux of fructose to the liver, the organ metabolizing this simple carb, perturbs glucose metabolism and glucose uptake pathways, leading to ....these metabolic disturbances appear to underlie the induction of insulin resistance commonly observed with fructose in both humans and animals.
High dietary intake of fructose has becom an important causative factor in the dev. of the metabolic syndrome (a group of pathologies including obesity, impaired glucose tolerance and insulin resistance).
And, there is an urgent need for public awareness of the risks associated with high fructose consumption ... to curb the supplementation of packaged foods with these.
The present review will discuss trends in fructose consumption, the metabolic consequences of increased fructose intake and the mechanisms leading to.... insulin resistance.
And, increasing evidence now suggests that the rise in consumption of carbohydrates particularly refined sugars high in fructose appear to at least be one very important contributing factor to Metabolic syndrome (formerly known as syndrome X and insulin resistance syndrome).
And, the general increases in consumption of calories and specifically refined carbs, fructose (sugar) is clear and correlates postively with an alarming increase in the metabolic syndrome.
And, even after total energy intake was accounted for--corn syrup was positively associated with type 2 diabetes, while protein and fat were not. High fructose corn syrups are quite commonly found in soft drinks,juices, and in many pre-packaged and baked goods.
And, that the westernization of diets has resulted in significant increases in added fructose. This contributes to reduced insulin sensitivity and hepatic (liver) insulin resistance/glucose intolerance.
And, research about the long-term negative effects of fructose sugars can include changes in digestion absorption, plasma hormone levels, hepatic metabolism, leading to insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity and inevitably cardiovascular disease.
The main driving force for the increased prevalence of insulin resistance are Modern Westernized diets and patterns of eating assoc. with dramatic rises in obesity.
Recent research suggests that a high intake of refined carbs may also increase the risk of insulin resistance.
Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia

I rest my case.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-27-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
According to Dr. Richard Bernstein, an endocrinologist who has Type I diabetes and has a large following, there are at least five causes of insulin resistance, including inheritance, dehydration, obesity, infection, and elevated blood sugars.
Not all medical professionals agree with each other on this, and just because one set of beliefs is the mainstream doesn't make it right. Medical history is full of examples of barbaric practices accepted by the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes