Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know why people keep saying no fruit juice because it's loaded with sugar and lacking fiber, but have no problem with eating fruit.

In the wintertime, I buy oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits, and juice them into a cup, taking out only the seeds, and drink the resulting juice. I make enough juice to last two days. Three days later, I make another batch.

How is that ANY different from eating an an orange and half a grapefruit one day, and a tangerine and half a grapefruit another day? How does this juice manage to contain more sugar and less fiber than it did when it was still attached to the rind?
DW and I have discussed this (WW makes you count fruit juice, but fresh fruit is zero points). I think its clear in that case that WW assumes most juice people consume will be commercial, and without fiber. I think also they are concerned with the sheer quantity of juice some folks will consume - people are simply less like to eat fresh fruit in such quantity.

I certainly wouldnt worry about drinking home made pulp filled juice unless you taking maasive quantities (which of course would be a concern with fresh fruit as well)

As a matter of fact I wouldnt say "no commercial fruit juice" either. No particular food is poison (NOTE WELL, I am not speaking for diabetics - check your physician) - its that some foods are better than others, and can be a more significant part of a maintenance or weight loss diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The last time I purchased fruit juice, it was fresh-squeezed to order. The last time I purchased "commercial" fruit juice was um - some time in the 1990's. I have had a few snapple pink lemonades since then, but I don't consider that fruit juice. Usually I make my own lemonade too, with fresh lemons, water, honey, and ice. All y'all are crazy if you're buying juice in a paper carton. That stuff's nasty

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Awesome! Cutting out sugar really does make a huge difference. The yoga could be having some effect we don't yet understand. It's entirely possible lowering stress could make your liver function more effectively.
I agree. I didn't even consider yoga for that, but after my results came in I started reading more about it. It has been proven to lower cortisol, which I read does have some as yet unknown correlation to cholesterol. I love yoga!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,104 times
Quote:
The last time I purchased fruit juice, it was fresh-squeezed to order. The last time I purchased "commercial" fruit juice was um - some time in the 1990's. I have had a few snapple pink lemonades since then, but I don't consider that fruit juice. Usually I make my own lemonade too, with fresh lemons, water, honey, and ice. All y'all are crazy if you're buying juice in a paper carton. That stuff's nasty

With juice though, think of it this way.

How many oranges does it take to make 1 glass of juice? I'd say around 4... So, treat drinking a glass of juice like you're eating 4 oranges... and all the sugar within them

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM

No, it takes one orange and half a grapefruit to make 1 *appropriately sized* glass of juice. If I want an 8-ounce glass of juice then yeah I'll need maybe 2 oranges, 1 tangerine, and a half a grapefruit. But 8 ounces of juice is not a single portion of juice, it's two portions of juice.

In this case, it IS all about portion control.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
No, it takes one orange and half a grapefruit to make 1 *appropriately sized* glass of juice. If I want an 8-ounce glass of juice then yeah I'll need maybe 2 oranges, 1 tangerine, and a half a grapefruit. But 8 ounces of juice is not a single portion of juice, it's two portions of juice.

I imagine im not the only one for whom such portion control is much easier wrt fruit, than it is wrt juice.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I imagine im not the only one for whom such portion control is much easier wrt fruit, than it is wrt juice.
I just really love the taste of blended citrus juice, moreso than an individual fruit juice. Tangerine is AMAZING mixed with blood orange and grapefruit, and blood orange isn't flavorful enough to stand on its own, though its taste is unique. So I blend my own mix in small batches. They're great especially if you toss them in a blender with some ice cubes and make a slush.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times
A low carb diet works well for me & I feel good while on it. I actually have more energy. I have been on it for a total of about 3 years now. The thing is it is less of a diet & more of a lifestyle change.

I started doing it initially to loose weight for an event & lost quickly! I then went of & decided that the result was worth the sacrifice. As an above poster said, when I started it I was very strict until I met my goal weight. Then I went into "maintance" mode. Now, I don't set a specific # of carbs I can have per day- I simply make the lowest carb choice availible at each meal. I even occasionally treat myself & splurge.I reference the Atkins books FYI.

I stopped during my last pregnancy,as I do NOT believe any pregnant woman should be on any diet unless prescibed to manage a condition. After 3 kids I have managed to keep my weight btn 115-120 for several years now. (minus pregnancy) and to me it has been worth it.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,104 times
Quote:

Well, if you plan to eat an orange, but would rather just have the juice from it... then by all means, go for it.

The issue with juice in general is most people look at 8oz as a serving... If you are consuming the same amount of fruit anyway, why would there be a problem. But.. I wouldnt look at it as a "free food" sugar, even when natural, can add up quickly

Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I lost 25 pounds in about 5 months, give or take. DW has lost 40 pounds in 10 months.

That seems quick to me, considering how long we've had these issues, and how long we want to keep the weight off.
This is really great!

I can't do WW, though. I've tried twice, but I was constantly hungry, and that's so distracting. It just isn't enough food.

I happened upon a book in May called "This Is Why You Are Fat". I loved the title. It's basically an anti-sugar rant with a diet. I didn't follow the author's diet plan exactly, but since I'm a candy addict, I just decided to give it up. No cakes or cookies, etc. I don't keep a scale, but judging by my clothing, I must have lost about ten pounds so far. Also am walking more and making sure I eat at least one salad per day. I don't really like salad, but at this time of year there are so many fresh ingredients available, so that makes it easier to get it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss