Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM

42 posts, read 89,361 times

Advertisements

Im planning on doing lowcarb for a few months because i need to lose weight asap
my bones are really starting to hurt

my plan is to do atkins and when i lose 50% of my desired weightloss then transition to weight watchers
is this a bad idea ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
If your weight problem is causing your bones to hurt, you need to get to a licensed physician ASAP and have him work with a nutritionist to get you on a diet appropriate for your medical conditions.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10by2012 View Post
Im planning on doing lowcarb for a few months because i need to lose weight asap

my plan is to do atkins and when i lose 50% of my desired weightloss then transition to weight watchers
is this a bad idea ?

I think so. WW is geared toward building life long habits. IF you are going to go with WW its best to start on it ASAP. The WW philosophy is different from Atkins, and if you really read and get into Atkins, and then switch to WW, I think your head will be spinning (and thats even with the WW points plus program - which looks a little more Atkins like, but is still very different in underlying POV).

Bottom line, if you want to do atkins, do atkins. If you want to do WW, do WW.
WW tends to emphasize slow, steady, sustainable weight loss (which is one reason some people prefer the low carb plans like Atkins, which can deliver results much faster) However I believe they used to have a "quickstart" plan, I dont know too much about that.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I agree with Brooklynborndad. Stick with one or the other. Both will work. You just need to figure out which you can live with best over the long term.

I now prefer the term "controlled carb" rather than low carb because as you reach your goal weight you add back carbs until you stop gaining or losing. For some people that can be a pretty normal mix of foods including carbs. The key is to keep an eye on it going forward so you don't gain it back.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10by2012 View Post

is this a bad idea ?
The low carb diet is generally dead, The Zone and Atkins type day in and day out where you count all your macronutrients like a freak. Low carbs with intermittent fasting seems to be catching on with with some people...................

Better Health via Intermittent Fasting and a Low-Carb Diet

Old 07-08-2011, 02:04 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The low carb diet is generally dead

Thats not true at all, the low carb community is growing everyday

Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post

the weight watchers community however is shrinking. My DW,for example, just weighed in and lost another pound and a half, and is about 20 pounds from goal weight. Im no longer shrinking, having hit goal weight.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
This is from 2005:

WITI - Health: Is Low-Carb Dead?

Intermittent fasting started to catch on online in 2007, so for at least the last 5-6 years its been unravelling. This is all within the virtual world of course. Out there in the "real world" people are still buying Lean Abs at Target.

Amazon.com: The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life (9781579549985): David Zinczenko, Ted Spiker: Books

Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
did you just copy the link without reading the article? Its all about how the most popular plan in some survey is - *drum roll* WEIGHT WATCHERS.

"Most surprising was the 28% on Weight Watchers, many of whom had abandoned other diets, such as Atkins and South Beach, and were now happily maintaining their weight with Weight Watchers. Several referred to Weight Watchers as a Life Plan for eating, not a diet. "

Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
did you just copy the link without reading the article? Its all about how the most popular plan in some survey is - *drum roll* WEIGHT WATCHERS.

"Most surprising was the 28% on Weight Watchers, many of whom had abandoned other diets, such as Atkins and South Beach, and were now happily maintaining their weight with Weight Watchers. Several referred to Weight Watchers as a Life Plan for eating, not a diet. "
It's the first link that pulls up when you google " is low carbs dead." I couldn't care less that WW was mentioned. There are other more recent articles....

Is The Low Carb Diet Dead?

From my research this year Paleo, the raw foods movement and fasting are all more popular than low carbs. WW is a system that many stick with also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss