Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,095,786 times

Advertisements

This was on yahoo's homepage today:

Why a personal trainer is making himself obese

I think he's nuts to do something like this. He's risking his own healthy but in the end it might make him a better personal trainer. Maybe he'll be able to understand the struggle better, but I don't think it will be quite the same.

Someone who has led a fit and healthy life will have more will-power to go back to a fit and healthy life and will know exactly what to do to get there. Those who never have lived a fit and healthy lifestyle have the combined effort of learning about nutrition and exercise as well, which can sometimes be overwhelming. I also think he will have the added motivation, know how good he will look and feel and a person that has been obsese their whole life does not have that experience so it may be less movtivating.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM

324 posts, read 878,426 times
It's not as outlandish as you think. It's clever marketing for publicity. Fitness is like riding a bicycle...

Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,286,714 times
There is no way in hell I would do something like this. I'm going to follow this story, as now I'm curious as to how it turns out. And those who say that being fat doesn't affect your health need to look at this guy.

Quote:
Someone who has led a fit and healthy life will have more will-power to go back to a fit and healthy life and will know exactly what to do to get there. Those who never have lived a fit and healthy lifestyle have the combined effort of learning about nutrition and exercise as well, which can sometimes be overwhelming. I also think he will have the added motivation, know how good he will look and feel and a person that has been obsese their whole life does not have that experience so it may be less movtivating.
I agree. I understand that he wants to empathize with fat people, but it's still not the same thing. Lifestyle changes are much easier to make when you are returning to old ways of doing things vs. learning totally new ways.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
I think he is only touching the very tip of the issue and isn't going to find out nearly as much as he wanted to learn.

Overeating and lack of exercise are the #1 power-punch combo reason why the body becomes obese, true. He'll learn what it feels like to be, physically, obese. But what causes the obese to allow themselves to overeat and not exercise in the first place? That's what he needs to address. Anyone can eat too many donuts every day. But not everyone does. THAT - is the underlying issue that would help him most, should he have a chance to tackle it.

Perhaps once he starts getting a little chunky, and experiences feedback from people avoiding his gaze, staring, watching him eat in restaurants and turning to whisper to their dining companions...he'll start feeling what an obese person feels - and it'll help him understand why many of them continue overeating, and lack motivation to get fit. Low self-esteem, that's reinforced by people in your environment - is probably a whole lot more powerful than dangling a hot fudge sundae in front of someone. The former is what leads a person to seek out the latter.

But if all he's doing is watching his body change and pigging out regularly, he won't "get it."

Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think he is only touching the very tip of the issue and isn't going to find out nearly as much as he wanted to learn.

Overeating and lack of exercise are the #1 power-punch combo reason why the body becomes obese, true. He'll learn what it feels like to be, physically, obese. But what causes the obese to allow themselves to overeat and not exercise in the first place? That's what he needs to address. Anyone can eat too many donuts every day. But not everyone does. THAT - is the underlying issue that would help him most, should he have a chance to tackle it.

Perhaps once he starts getting a little chunky, and experiences feedback from people avoiding his gaze, staring, watching him eat in restaurants and turning to whisper to their dining companions...he'll start feeling what an obese person feels - and it'll help him understand why many of them continue overeating, and lack motivation to get fit. Low self-esteem, that's reinforced by people in your environment - is probably a whole lot more powerful than dangling a hot fudge sundae in front of someone. The former is what leads a person to seek out the latter.

But if all he's doing is watching his body change and pigging out regularly, he won't "get it."
I think he is getting it. He mentioned the cravings/moods/addictive behavior that come with junk eating and the empty feeling it leaves your body with.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Lifestyle changes are much easier to make when you are returning to old ways of doing things vs. learning totally new ways.
And, too, once he starts exercising again, his body will "snap back" a lot quicker than for someone who carried those extra 75 pounds for years and years.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, once he starts exercising again, his body will "snap back" a lot quicker than for someone who carried those extra 75 pounds for years and years.

Well... flubbing out for 20 years really isn't wise or realistic. I don't think you have to have a full mouth to get a taste if you know what I mean. Just one of those silly things he will notice. Sit ups as a fat guy vs. a thin guy. Or the back pain that can come with having a big bear gut. The food cravings and how tired it can make you when getting rid of that much fat. He will feel all that. I found it funny that he is addicted to the gym though like how less fit people are addicted to comfort. Its like you could just plug in different nouns but the verbs stay the same.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,741,477 times
Please people, a lot of folks have been living with fat peoples diseases for years and they have not yet died. He is right when he says 4 weeks is not really going to do much damage. You think once someone has a fat persons disease that it is the end of the world.

I think what he is doing is great, but it does have flaws. He knows how to get skinny again most fat will not. He mentions that he feels like crap afterwords and gets cravings for the same junk foods. At least he knows the craving issues among obese people. Another thing I have no problem cutting my toenails or anything?

Anyway, I hope other personal trainers do this and learn the realities of being fat. Instead of saying oh you just eat tooo much and are lazy to fat people which is furthest from the truth. He actually doesn't even look that bad being fat either.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,286,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
True. And he could inadvertently give clients unrealistic expectations concerning that. I can see it now: a guy thinks that because his trainer lost 75 pounds and has a six pack, he can do it as well.

I hope that he explains the fact that even though he lost 75 pounds, he used to be in terrific shape, therefore his results are not typical.

Quote:
Please people, a lot of folks have been living with fat peoples diseases for years and they have not yet died. He is right when he says 4 weeks is not really going to do much damage. You think once someone has a fat persons disease that it is the end of the world. I think what he is doing is great, but it does have flaws. He knows how to get skinny again most fat will not. He mentions that he feels like crap afterwords and gets cravings for the same junk foods. At least he knows the craving issues among obese people. Another thing I have no problem cutting my toenails or anything?

Anyway, I hope other personal trainers do this and learn the realities of being fat. Instead of saying oh you just eat tooo much and are lazy to fat people which is furthest from the truth. He actually doesn't even look that bad being fat either.
But....it is true that fat people eat too much and don't move enough. Isn't that what this guy is doing? Not working out and eating horribly?

People may not have from having "fat person's disease" (whatever that is), but what about quality of life? If you have any disease, your body is not functioning at it's best. How is that a good thing?

And he did not say that 4 weeks wasn't going to hurt anything. He wants to do this for six months; he has 4 weeks to go. He said, "With a BP reading of 161/113 you can’t NOT be concerned. I haven’t felt in danger yet, but I still have 4 weeks left to go. People tell me all the time to stop now, but I look at it like this…..if others can live years with these unhealthy risk factors, like high BP, glucose levels, cholesterol levels, triglycerides, etc. then I can last another 4 weeks. Plus I want to show people how living a healthy lifestyle can change all of those risk factors."

He wants to show people how to change "fat person's diseases", not throw up your hands and say, "See, I'm still alive, it's not that bad."

It's amazing how people will use anything to justify not making changes.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 10-19-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,991,570 times
People do the stupidest things to get their names in the paper. Me, I will not play around with my health just to do so. No way. Me, goofing around with my health is the same as playing with my childrens' lives. Not something any sane person should/would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss