Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
BUT you want to charge them higher insurance rates? I call bullsh!t.
Yup, and underweight people get charged higher rates, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I find it sad. There is a balance. Between "fat acceptance" and self esteem and acknowledging obesity as a health problems that needs medical intervention.
This. I couldn't have said it any better myself and I agree 100%. In fact, I posted once about a somewhat similar topic in a thread months ago if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's actually kind of bad (on top of being pretty scary too) for our current society to be always projecting this image that it's okay to be "fat", because, it's really not. It's a very serious and extremely hazardous/deadly health issue (in addition to being extremely costly on the health care industry). It's not an issue that people should merely sweep under the rug and not worry about it, it's an issue that we as a society/country should be addressing. I think that we now try to sugar-coat everything (because, you know, we might hurt someone's feelings or something...) and avoid the true severity of the problem. As a result of this, the problem is skyrocketing and only predicted to become even worse (look at the statistics and future projections for the US, it's horrifying and mind-boggling). Imho, I think that it's very obvious that this current strategy of "fat pride" or "fat acceptance" or whatever has failed and that we need to take an alternative course of action.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying that I hate/dislike "fat" people or that I am in any way encouraging or endorsing "self-hatred" among people who may be overweight, but, I completely agree with Jasper and I think that there is a very fine line between "fat acceptance" and acknowledging an obesity problem. I believe that one can truly love and accept themselves, but also acknowledge the fact that there's always room for improvements (in ALL of us). I think we should all always stride to improve ourselves and make ourselves the best that we possibly can be.

I could write a book on this topic, but I'm sure you're all very sick of me and my opinions by now, so I'll kindly end my rant.

Thanks for listening and have a great night all!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,426,047 times
This silly fat acceptance crap is just as bad as anorexia promotion and pro-ana/thinspiration stuff. Obesity is the biggest killer in the western world what with all its attendant disease and these people who think obesity is healthy are moronic thick-heads. It just comes down to the fact these fatties are far too lazy or cowardly to dedicate to managing their diet and lifestyle. Somebody has to say it.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
NAFFA members protest over Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign to fight childhood obesity

NAAFA members participate in “Million Pound March”, hunger strike : Dead Serious News
LOL at you for taking Dead Serious News seriously. From their own website:
Quote:

Dead Serious News is a satirical website that is updated on an irregular basis. With the exception of the names of public figures, all names are fictional.
It's like, the Mad Magazine of the Internet.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM

151 posts, read 270,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
LOL at you for taking Dead Serious News seriously. From their own website:
It's like, the Mad Magazine of the Internet.
Ohhh

yeah I thinking it was was to funny to be true

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,014,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
Ohhh

yeah I thinking it was was to funny to be true

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,963 times
Hmmm...pretty grey area. But very good topic for debate.
Reminds me of this movie 'Phat Girlz' by Mo'Nique. I think its partially based on her life & beliefs, going by her tv roles & standup routines. It propagates the fat pride concept. But in real life she did loose weight. Deep down she was not happy with her weight but made others believe that she was proud of her body. I think she was a role model for some women who wanted to be proud & they must have been disappointed to see she did not stand up for it.

I am ok with the word 'acceptance' as in, the society should accept overweight people without judging, bullying or degrading them. The society should 'accept' the fact that we come in different shapes & sizes that are subjected to change throughout our lifetime.

I am not ok with using 'pride'. Even if they do make some of us believe we should be proud of our fat, deep down we know its not good for us. Sooner or later some of us will realize it when we see our healthcare bills or cant participate in healthy activities or fit into certain sizes. If I am fine with the way I look, my fat is nobody's business & I dont care what anybody thinks. But if I am not, no matter what these organizations say, I wont be happy with my body. They cant convince me its good for me. Its a choice that a person makes & we should learn to respect that.

Society does judge & make fun of fat people especially in tv, movies that could be so devastating to someone's self esteem. Instead of training overweight people to be proud of themselves, these organizations should train the society to respect their choice & regulate the fat jokes on the internet, tv & movies. There is a constant reminder around you in stores, magazines, media that you are not normal. Its more dangerous than the fat itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss