Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times

Advertisements

^^^True. Also, there used to be so many independent and ethnic bakeries where you could buy fresh bread made from
basic ingredients. Don't know when but so many closed and the few that I've been to (outside my home town which
charges 2.00 for a loaf of rye) charge 7-8 dollars a loaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Unfortunately, most of what we have in our grocery stores bears very little, if any, resemblance to the breads our ancestors ate.
Yes but I still have to see the first person who got obese or overweight on whole wheat bread or potatoes alone. Demonising bread and carbohydrates in general is a sad trend that needs to go the way of the egg yolk and unskimmed milk.

Whenever someone says to limit or eliminate fruit, bread, potatoes, etc. I can't help to imagine some malnourished -- but lean-- individual using all his strength to type that sentence.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
^The glaring flaw in what you're saying is that they don't give you a basket of eggs or a free glass of whole milk to munch on or sip on before your food arrives. They give you bread. Or chips. Or crackers. Or something else that doesn't fill you up or give you any nutrition. Limit all this stuff -- only eat it at certain times, or at least eat less of it -- and you're virtually guaranteed to lose weight. This is a weight loss forum, after all. If you don't want to lose weight, then go ahead and believe the fantasy that flax bread or whatever has some magical slimming powers that white bread doesn't have.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
^The glaring flaw in what you're saying is that they don't give you a basket of eggs or a free glass of whole milk to munch on or sip on before your food arrives. They give you bread. Or chips. Or crackers. Or something else that doesn't fill you up or give you any nutrition. Limit all this stuff -- only eat it at certain times, or at least eat less of it -- and you're virtually guaranteed to lose weight. This is a weight loss forum, after all. If you don't want to lose weight, then go ahead and believe the fantasy that flax bread or whatever has some magical slimming powers that white bread doesn't have.
Exactly.

When I was in the process of losing 80 lbs. I rarely ate bread - maybe 1 to 2 slices per week, sometimes none, no tortillas, crackers, etc. For me not eating bread, eating nuts, hummus and avocado for fat rather than oil/butter/dressing, eating tons of whole, fresh foods - that was the key to my steady weight loss.

Even if you limit your bread to the equivalent of 2 slices per day, you will find it easier to maintain your weight loss. People aren't usually eating bread plain, they are usually slathering on the butter, cream cheese, mayo, jam, cheese spread, etc. Bread can be a vehicle for a lot of high calorie foods.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
With that logic people shouldn't eat vegetables either because they mix them with bacon and all kinds of sauces all the time. There is a huge difference between breads and saying you need to limit them all equally is saying you don't know the difference between water and soda and you should limit both of them.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM

283 posts, read 385,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
With that logic people shouldn't eat vegetables either because they mix them with bacon and all kinds of sauces all the time. There is a huge difference between breads and saying you need to limit them all equally is saying you don't know the difference between water and soda and you should limit both of them.
Veggies are low GI and fill you up much quicker and longer than bread. Our fatty salty kale dinner (butter, kale, bacon, ground turkey, cheese and sour cream) was only about 400 calories and filled us up for most of the day. Repeat that process for 2-3 meals a day and the weight will melt off you very rapidly.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
let's face it, whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight it is still the total number of calories you put in your system that will determine how much you can lose or how easy it will be to maintain your weight. Trying to cut out bread altogether can deprive people of something they really need and enjoy; that is where diets fail too often.

I happen to believe the best way to lose weight along with exercise is a low carb diet, but that doesn't mean no carbs, including no bread. So bring on the rye for me, and whatever kind suits you, but just keep in down to as little as possible.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let's face it, whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight it is still the total number of calories you put in your system that will determine how much you can lose or how easy it will be to maintain your weight. Trying to cut out bread altogether can deprive people of something they really need and enjoy; that is where diets fail too often.
I disagree. Its more than just the number of calories. 1000 calories from a McDonalds burger and fries is NOT the same as 1000 calories from light tuna, spinach, kidney beans and almonds.

For anyone needing to lose weight, it would be a HUGE benefit to them to nix the bread (which by the way, the body breaks down as SUGAR during processing). Breads and sugar should be eliminated if one wants to lose weight. Also, if a person feels like they are being "deprived" then they need to work on their mental state because now it isn't just a physical disease they are battling, it has become a mental disease as well.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I disagree. Its more than just the number of calories. 1000 calories from a McDonalds burger and fries is NOT the same as 1000 calories from light tuna, spinach, kidney beans and almonds.

For anyone needing to lose weight, it would be a HUGE benefit to them to nix the bread (which by the way, the body breaks down as SUGAR during processing). Breads and sugar should be eliminated if one wants to lose weight. Also, if a person feels like they are being "deprived" then they need to work on their mental state because now it isn't just a physical disease they are battling, it has become a mental disease as well.
Regarding your disagreeing: Do you mean that the calories are different nutritionally? Or how they fill you up? Because IMHO, you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. I am in the calories in, calories out camp. This is because I know the many times when I've cut calories, I have lost weight. If I eat 1500 calories of McDonald's, I am going to lose weight, because I'm taking in a limited amount of calories per day. I am eating just above my BMR as advised to me by people I trust. Of course the tuna, spinach and kidney beans will nourish you better and probably keep you fuller.

I do not believe that you should go around telling people to eliminate any one item out of their diet, if that is what they enjoy. This is going to be a LIFETIME thing, we're talking 40+ years. You're telling me I can't ever have bread and sugar again??? Why don't you just lock me up and throw away the key while you're at it??? It's called moderation.....learning to eat in a way you can sustain and be at the weight you desire.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a little chocolate cake for breakfast....Nummm....and record my weight loss for today, down 7 pounds in one month....

Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM

283 posts, read 385,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Regarding your disagreeing: Do you mean that the calories are different nutritionally? Or how they fill you up? Because IMHO, you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. I am in the calories in, calories out camp. This is because I know the many times when I've cut calories, I have lost weight. If I eat 1500 calories of McDonald's, I am going to lose weight, because I'm taking in a limited amount of calories per day. I am eating just above my BMR as advised to me by people I trust. Of course the tuna, spinach and kidney beans will nourish you better and probably keep you fuller.

I do not believe that you should go around telling people to eliminate any one item out of their diet, if that is what they enjoy. This is going to be a LIFETIME thing, we're talking 40+ years. You're telling me I can't ever have bread and sugar again??? Why don't you just lock me up and throw away the key while you're at it??? It's called moderation.....learning to eat in a way you can sustain and be at the weight you desire.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a little chocolate cake for breakfast....Nummm....and record my weight loss for today, down 7 pounds in one month....
If you don't suffer one way (remove bread from diet), you will suffer in another (starvation by calorie reduction). The low-carb side of things allows you to eat all that you want and never fell hungry while losing (or maintaining) one's weight. For me, never feeling hungry while losing weight is a more natural state of being than having empty calorie starches.

If you consume McD's refined starches or a chocolate cake, your body will allocate the calories towards stored body fat and you will actually feel more hungry in just a couple hours. That joke about eating Chinese and being hungry shortly afterwards isn't such a joke when you realize WHY that's the case.

Calorie counting has got to be one of the stupidest ideas in the history of nutrition. Have you ever seen any animal count calories? They eat until they are full and stop eating afterwards. They skip meals, and they don't eat bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss