Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,857,261 times

Advertisements

The best diet or way of eating in the world is the one you can live with forever. If that is eliminating bread go for it. if it is cutting back portion size go for it. There is no 'one size fits all' diet. Who cares if you can lose a lot of weight eliminating bread if you cannot in the long run live without bread?
For me it is a moderation thing. I would never give up my sourdough french bread, or my wine, or pasta, or rice with curries, or tortillas for tacos and burritos. But I will cut back on the amount of what I am eating in order to make it work. That is what works for me. I do not expect that to work for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,096,215 times
Lucky - not everyone has your self-control. For some of us there are "trigger" foods that we need to avoid having in the house. I eat sweet potato fries with smoked fresh pineapple salsa - once a month at my favorite street taco place....if I had those in the house, I would be in trouble.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,248,254 times
Yes but not for all so how dare you try to generalize the diet everyone should follow based on the lack of self control in some?

I think Lucky says it much better than the no carbs freaks that there is no one size fits all diet. If you can't control yourself then how does this apply to everyone else?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Lucky - not everyone has your self-control. For some of us there are "trigger" foods that we need to avoid having in the house. I eat sweet potato fries with smoked fresh pineapple salsa - once a month at my favorite street taco place....if I had those in the house, I would be in trouble.
The whole point of my post was to say that there is not one way of eating that will work for everyone. Find what works for you and apply it.
People have amazing egos. They will lose a bunch of weight and then declare the way THEY lost weight is the ONLY way to lose weight. It is simply not true. There are benefits and drawbacks with all diets and ways of eating. People need to worry about themselves and forget about what everyone else is doing.
Also books are written to make money. Just because a diet book is a best seller in no way means it is the BEST or ONLY way to lose weight.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 PM

26,485 posts, read 46,825,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ttly1967 View Post
Get rid of the bread or reduce it almost entirely and weight comes off far easier. Substitute other grains that do not cause bloating and weight gain for a larger percentage of the population along with other health issues.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 AM

17,587 posts, read 39,311,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The whole point of my post was to say that there is not one way of eating that will work for everyone. Find what works for you and apply it.
People have amazing egos. They will lose a bunch of weight and then declare the way THEY lost weight is the ONLY way to lose weight. It is simply not true. There are benefits and drawbacks with all diets and ways of eating. People need to worry about themselves and forget about what everyone else is doing.
Also books are written to make money. Just because a diet book is a best seller in no way means it is the BEST or ONLY way to lose weight.
I agree with lucky ^^^. There is no one size fits all when it comes to diet. For myself I love bread even though I am Type 2 diabetic. But I do limit it. My favorite type to eat is sourdough - I have read it is lower glycemic and better for the gut. I do sometimes eat a couple slices of thin-crust veggie pizza. But that is usually the only bread I eat for the day.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM

4,589 posts, read 5,477,027 times
Quote:
People have amazing egos. They will lose a bunch of weight and then declare the way THEY lost weight is the ONLY way to lose weight. .
There IS one (maybe even two) way of eating that WILL work for everyone. Problem is, lot of fat people lack the drive, desire, courage, discipline, etc. to do what is required for them to improve their lot in life. They want to continue with their breads, continue with their sugars, continue with their diet cokes, their snacking, etc. They fall back on ridiculously stupid excuses like "I don't want to deprive myself......" or "I have depression and I need to eat......." so they continue to fail. Eating right really does work. It REALLY DOES!!!!!

Quote:
It is simply not true. There are benefits and drawbacks with all diets and ways of eating. .
While this is true with a great many "DIETS", there are no drawbacks to having a well rounded, complete, healthy, nutritional intake plan (paleo included). With this there are ONLY benefits and ZERO drawbacks. Eliminating breads from your diet will have ZERO drawbacks - ZERO!!!!

Quote:
People need to worry about themselves and forget about what everyone else is doing.
The point of people making and responding to threads like this is to SHARE experiences and to provide help for those who seek it. So it isn't "worrying about other people', its about sharing ideas and for me at least, to help others who really, really, need the help and discourage those who don't know from wasting their time following advice of people who know diddly squat.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
There IS one (maybe even two) way of eating that WILL work for everyone. Problem is, lot of fat people lack the drive, desire, courage, discipline, etc. to do what is required for them to improve their lot in life. They want to continue with their breads, continue with their sugars, continue with their diet cokes, their snacking, etc. They fall back on ridiculously stupid excuses like "I don't want to deprive myself......" or "I have depression and I need to eat......." so they continue to fail. Eating right really does work. It REALLY DOES!!!!!

While this is true with a great many "DIETS", there are no drawbacks to having a well rounded, complete, healthy, nutritional intake plan (paleo included). With this there are ONLY benefits and ZERO drawbacks. Eliminating breads from your diet will have ZERO drawbacks - ZERO!!!!

The point of people making and responding to threads like this is to SHARE experiences and to provide help for those who seek it. So it isn't "worrying about other people', its about sharing ideas and for me at least, to help others who really, really, need the help and discourage those who don't know from wasting their time following advice of people who know diddly squat.
You are just pushing your zero breads agenda. While that works for some it does not work for all. That is why it is important for people to find what works for them. I lost 40lbs eating whole, fresh foods, bread included and I had zero problem losing weight. And the benefit is that I could eat whatever I wanted. I have maintained my weight for 6 years. I feel great, my cholesterol is great, I have lots of energy and I exercise a lot.
What good is a way of eating if you cannot stick with it? No one is knocking eliminating bread, it works for a lot of people, but it does not work for everyone.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,135,303 times
Quote:
I disagree. Its more than just the number of calories. 1000 calories from a McDonalds burger and fries is NOT the same as 1000 calories from light tuna, spinach, kidney beans and almonds.

For anyone needing to lose weight, it would be a HUGE benefit to them to nix the bread (which by the way, the body breaks down as SUGAR during processing). Breads and sugar should be eliminated if one wants to lose weight. Also, if a person feels like they are being "deprived" then they need to work on their mental state because now it isn't just a physical disease they are battling, it has become a mental disease as well.
Well according to our doctor and one we had several years ago: a calorie is a calorie and if you cut down from about 3000 a day to 1800 you will lose weight. Now what are healthy calories or satisfying ones, that is totally different. For most people the best way period to lose weight and keep it off is portion control. There is no disputing that!!! and of course exercising.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,135,303 times
Quote:
Lets put it this way: Which do you think is healthier for you, a 1900 calorie Double Quarter Pounder w/cheese meal, or 1900 calories of grilled fish, spinach, quinoa, kidney beans, broccoli and unsweetened almond milk? Which is healthier? You need to check out of that "calories in, calories out" camp because its also known as "fat camp". Just like I tell all of my students and clients - its not about losing weight, its about IMPROVING YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS!!! There is a HUGE difference in mindset between just "losing weight" and "improving health/fitness". So many people do crazy stupid things (HCG shots/diet, fasting, etc.) to lose weight because they only care about the scale instead of their health. Its short term, and does NOTHING to improve their fitness/health. They spout off at the mouth of "Oh, look at me, Im down 7 pounds!" when in reality, they are just down water weight and have ZERO health improvement. The weight is sure to come back on because they aren't focusing on what is important - HEALTH!!

That's fine you don't believe it, but I have a very good success rate for not only myself, but also for my clients/students that follow my advice on this. I tell them to eliminate soda, candy, sugars, etc. if they have any hope of being successful in their weight loss/fitness journey. Just like another CD poster said to you in the "Sloooooooow weight loss" thread you started on weight loss a few days ago - https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...ight-loss.html - the moderation comes into play when you have reached your goal, not when you are trying to get there. Otherwise you ruin your efforts. When good, healthy habits are formed, and you are at your goal weight/fitness level, then you can have an occasional Oreo or slice of wedding cake.

Bread (and other sugars) should be eliminated if possible if you really need to lose weight. Have a slice of whole grain if you must, but nix the bread really if you want to lose weight.

Awesome. What a great way to go about developing heart healthy, good habits for someone who says they need to lose weight. Look forward to additional posts from you six months, a year, two years from now asking for advice on how to lose weight or deal with diabetes and heart disease.
But you are missing the point here: the point is losing weight. We all know cutting out carbs generally is healthier than cutting out, say fruits and veggies: You can read anything you want to prove a point. We all know, if you search long enough you can get the answer you want, but I still maintain, a calorie is just that!!! BTW, for me, yes, low carbs works the best, unfortunately I do not always follow my own advise and I majored in foods and nutrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss