Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
IF is just an extreme form of CHO restriction. "Autophagy" (from the Greek "self eating") is just a convenient, single word to be used in place of "fat mobilization" and "muscle wasting."

The old wisdom was "take in fewer calories than you burn" in order to lose weight, but that didn't take into account the actual physiology/biochemistry of anabolism/catabolism.

Insulin has several functions: it facilitates the entry of glucose into cells (really a minor function, although essential for renal cells), it inhibits proteolysis, inhibits lipolysis and stimulates lipogenesis. ...So, the trick for weight loss is to eat a low carb diet so that not enough insulin is secreted to save fat but favors burning it, but still make enough insulin to spare muscle from autolysis.

Our bodies are never in perfect balance, but are in dynamic equilibrium, swinging alternately a little above to a little below the sweet spot and back again. It's true our ancestors lived a more or less feast or famine lifestyle, with wider swings around that perfect nutritional equilibrium point.

The failure to maintain weight loss is due to the usual attitude that "a diet" is a temporary endeavor-- once the goal is met, the individual too often returns to the dietary habits that got him to the obese state in the first place.
Except IF does not result in muscle loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I feel pretty good. I wasn't sure how the whole fasting thing was going to go, but it hasn't been hard at all.
My doctor has "diet" classes, mainly about how to to lose weight when you're diabetic.
When I went years ago, the classes were focused on Keto and Mediterranean diets.
Now, I'm told he has added IF. He probably had people getting stuck on a plateau, like I did.

My wife takes CBD. I think she's having less pain in her back and knee, but she also lost some weight.
I don't have trouble focusing. I have always had the ability to hyper-focus.

I had an oncologist at a major university hospital swear that I wouldn't be able to focus on strong chemo. He was wrong.
But that stuff does mess with your head. I had the wildest, most vivid dreams on chemo, most of them not good.
Clonazepam got rid of them, it's good stuff. I don't take it often anymore but if I want to sleep like a baby, it's the ticket.
I did four chemos seven years ago after I had surgery for Stage 1A ovarian cancer. Then after the chemo, diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis. CBD oil was not legal in Texas then, or anything else hemp related, for that matter. I was surprised a few months ago to discover it had been legalized, that it was legal to purchase, but I'm a skeptic about everything. I don't feel as well without it.

I cried when I discovered it was legal, but I was overreacting.

Yeah, I definitely had a case of chemo brain there for a short while.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
IF is all about caloric restriction. As with any dieting method, different faces of the same coin - for weight loss/management, Confucius says "Eat less, Move More".

Any muscle loss is mitigated by strength training, with the added bonus of nice defined muscles

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
IF is just an extreme form of CHO restriction. "Autophagy" (from the Greek "self eating") is just a convenient, single word to be used in place of "fat mobilization" and "muscle wasting."
It may be a form of caloric restriction but AGAIN, it's not the same. With one, you actually eat on a regular basis but deliberately consume a lower amount of calories. With the other, you DON'T EAT for an extended period of time. The period where you don't eat provides the benefits. I don't know why it's so hard for some to grasp this concept. This autophagy thing, sure it's a fancy word to explain what's going on but in order to induce it, you have to stress your body to some degree. Not eating will provide this stress. Exercising on an empty stomach does this as well. This stress is a "good" stress, it's a healing stress, not a stress like having a disease.

Autophagy From Healthy Stress, Learn About "Good" Stress

You don't get this "stress" by constantly putting food in your mouth.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I did four chemos seven years ago after I had surgery for Stage 1A ovarian cancer. Then after the chemo, diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis. CBD oil was not legal in Texas then, or anything else hemp related, for that matter. I was surprised a few months ago to discover it had been legalized, that it was legal to purchase, but I'm a skeptic about everything. I don't feel as well without it.

I cried when I discovered it was legal, but I was overreacting.

Yeah, I definitely had a case of chemo brain there for a short while.
You had cancer the same time I did! Do you still see your oncologist? I'm down to once a year.
You doing ok with the arthritis?

There's no faster way to lose weight than getting non-Hodgkins lymphoma. If I knew what I knew now, I could've kept the weight off.
Next doctor I see is my endocrinologist in April. When she sees me, she's gonna think it came back.

CBD oil isn't legal here, but it's easy to get online. They drug test where I work, so no CBD for me...

Last edited by eaton53; 12-11-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,503,461 times
How many calories do people eat during the eating period? 1000? 10,000? Does it matter?

Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,463,408 times
There is a health minded guy at work that does IF and he is a weightlifter. He fasts until 10:00 am, works out after work at about 3:30pm. He has lost no muscle and looks really defined. He swears by it and will not deviate. My issue is my am workouts and morning eating with the supps/vitamins. I am interested in IF and while not ready for it yet, it is great reading these educational posts. I had no idea what Autophagy was until I came here.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
How many calories do people eat during the eating period? 1000? 10,000? Does it matter?
I eat 600.
I recommend this if you don't want to use calories on salad dressing.

https://www.vitacost.com/walden-farm...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They have other flavors but that one is by far my favorite.
Tastes just like French dressing to me. It is a bit thinner.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,463,408 times
I emailed health minded workout guy to get his IF timing, food and calories. Here it is:

I don't count calories. I somewhat count protein grams to get at least 150.. I eat between 10-11 to 6 -7 at night. I usually do a protein shake(vegan and whey with flax milk)and fruit or cherry juice to break the fast.

Fairly large lunch usually leftovers, a protein bar coupleof hours after that. Supper around 5-6 I eat slices of roasted chicken(Costco has a great brand) I'd say 3-4 around30-40 grams of protein, snack on cucumbers, avocado, and some rice chips. Finish off with coffee, goat milk, apple and dark chocolate or Icelandic yogurt.

Days I workout I cut that back a bit on supper as I drink aprotein shake with amino acids around 80 grams of protein. I don't count the calories but I'd swagaround 2000-2500.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
There is a health minded guy at work that does IF and he is a weightlifter. He fasts until 10:00 am, works out after work at about 3:30pm. He has lost no muscle and looks really defined. He swears by it and will not deviate. My issue is my am workouts and morning eating with the supps/vitamins. I am interested in IF and while not ready for it yet, it is great reading these educational posts. I had no idea what Autophagy was until I came here.
He works out at a time when his body is still digesting his large lunch. I can do that. However, fasted exercise (I do that once a week lately, for no real reason, just to see if I have any better results) in the morning is never my 'shining hour'. My performance is noticeably diminished, especially in the weight department. Cardio I can get by, but that's about it. There's no way I'd do it for all my workouts.

I guess I fast until 10-11 am. I never eat as soon as I wake and during the weekends I sleep until at least 10. After that though, I eat 2-3 hours until probably 9 pm (my body has adapted to eating that late due to evening workouts). Don't see any real difference if I instead ate a big meal at 11 and then didn't eat until 7. It all came down to how much I was eating in a day. I guess I don't lean yay or nay, I just go by what I've personally experienced. I'm fairly cut, burn fat, etc. but I don't (at least as far as I know) follow anything specific. Some do well on smaller, lower calorie meals, while others do better on several big meals, or one big meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss