Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 09:47 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, we ALL have "a sweet tooth" (that is, we are biologically hardwired to prefer sweet and highly caloric foods as an evolutionary survival mechanism). What I'm referring to is a sugar addiction, which in many cases is what leads to obesity and the need to reduce. Getting trapped in a sweet treat cycle perpetuates it (the more you have, the more you want, and many experts maintain that even sugar substitutes fool the body into thinking sugar is coming and thus prompt insulin spikes). Surely it's better to let the cravings naturally die out by not feeding them. Eventually, the addiction is extinguished, and eating healthier, lower-carb, lower-sugar, lower-calorie foods becomes your normal.

Also, if you're also dieting or doing keto, you're restricting calories. Why use up your daily allotment or, if you're fasting, fill up your eating window with fake chemical junk so you can have your pseudo-desserts instead of real, natural, more nutritious food, which could include such sweet treats as berries in heavy cream?

I would think breaking your addiction to desserts would be part-and-parcel of it, but just me, I guess!

Last edited by otterhere; 01-18-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As I understand it, we ALL have "a sweet tooth" (that is, we are biologically hardwired to prefer sweet and highly caloric foods as an evolutionary survival mechanism). What I'm referring to is a sugar addiction, which in many cases is what leads to obesity and the need to reduce. Getting trapped in a sweet treat cycle perpetuates it (the more you have, the more you want, and many experts maintain that even sugar substitutes fool the body into thinking sugar is coming and thus prompt insulin spikes). Surely it's better to let the cravings naturally die out by not feeding them. Eventually, the addiction is extinguished, and eating healthier, lower-carb, lower-sugar, lower-calorie foods becomes your normal.

Also, if you're also dieting or doing keto, you're restricting calories. Why use up your daily allotment or, if you're fasting, fill up your eating window with fake chemical junk so you can have your pseudo-desserts instead of real, natural, more nutritious food, which could include such sweet treats as berries in heavy cream?

I would think breaking your addiction to desserts would be part-and-parcel of it, but just me, I guess!
All you have to do is eat probiotic foods and starved those microbes in your gut that wants sugar. It has been proven that your gut biome controls your hunger. The more sugar craving microbes you feed the more your they will grow and control your hunger. Starve them to death by getting rid of sugar and replace those microbes by eating a high plant fiber diet. Once the new microbes that feed plant fiber flourishes, your desire for sweets will diet down.

Our mood, cravings, and health all centers around our microbe biome in our gut. It is not hard to do, you just need a good 1-2 week to reset your cravings. I used to enjoy sweets daily and now I rarely touch them.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 AM

3,071 posts, read 2,413,087 times
Quote:
Not everybody has a sweet tooth, and not everybody has an addiction to sweets.

Quote:

There should be no need to deliberately restrict calories on low-carb or keto. I don't know of any clinician who recommends this.

Purists would argue that out-of-season fruit and any dairy product are not natural--but would be closer to natural than something with an ingredient list from a chemistry exam.

With all that said, IMO, the best approach to diet is start with paleo as a template and go from there, creating a diet that solves your problems and is something you can live with indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All you have to do is eat probiotic foods and starved those microbes in your gut that wants sugar. It has been proven that your gut biome controls your hunger. The more sugar craving microbes you feed the more your they will grow and control your hunger. Starve them to death by getting rid of sugar and replace those microbes by eating a high plant fiber diet. Once the new microbes that feed plant fiber flourishes, your desire for sweets will diet down.

Our mood, cravings, and health all centers around our microbe biome in our gut. It is not hard to do, you just need a good 1-2 week to reset your cravings. I used to enjoy sweets daily and now I rarely touch them.
Blood sugar also plays a major role in mood and hunger, as do various hormonal problems and nutrient deficiencies that are surprisingly common in developed countries.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,778,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post

There should be no need to deliberately restrict calories on low-carb or keto.
If someone is eating keto and wants to lose weight while doing so, calories must be restricted - that's how weight loss works. Eat less than you burn.

If someone wants to gain while eating keto, they must eat more than they burn, and if someone wants to maintain weight while eating keto, they must eat maintenance level calories.

How do I know? When I was eating keto to lose weight, I ate fewer calories than I do now while I am eating keto to maintain my weight.

Calories always matter.

Keto since 2016 with no plans to stop.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:05 AM

This is incorrect. Think about it: if the source of calories doesn't matter, why bother with keto?

Different sources of calories have different effects on blood sugar levels. Sugar and most starch will, for many people, cause a rise then fall in blood sugar, making them feel hungry a few hours later. Sugar and starch are burned right away or stored as fat because excess blood sugar is a toxin. Only a tiny amount--about a teaspoon--needs to be in your bloodstream. Protein and fat, OTOH, have little to no effect on blood sugar. They're also essential for repairs and maintenance, while carbohydrates aren't. This is why people spontaneously tend to eat less on low-carb diets.

Then we come to the issue of metabolism. People on traditional calorie-restricted diets see their metabolism slow down--in other words, their bodies use the few calories more efficiently. They often end up hungry and tired and obsessed with food.

None of these facts are controversial--they're in endocrinology textbooks, seen in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment and other studies and have been known since the first half of the 20th century.

Are there people with a disorder in their metabolism who don't feel full no matter what? Yes--but this is not the norm. The vast majority of people can eat to satiety on low-carb or keto and still correct their weight, blood sugar, triglycerides, etc.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
"Think about it: if the source of calories doesn't matter, why bother with keto?"
That is not incorrect.

Why bother with keto? Because being in ketosis is a metabolic state. Being in ketosis has MANY benefits besides weight loss with limiting calories. There is the anti-inflammatory aspect, the increased mental clarity, the lack of blood sugar spikes and crashes, the improved sleep, the improved energy levels, the increased appetite control, and more.

If being in ketosis alone caused weight loss, then I would continue to lose weight. But I don't continue to lose, because I simply eat a few more hundred calories WHILE REMAINING IN KETOSIS. What this means is that I am maintaining my weight (and have done so for 4 years now) while continuing to follow a keto way of eating.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
That is not incorrect.
That was a rhetorical question.

Quote:

If being in ketosis alone caused weight loss, then I would continue to lose weight. But I don't continue to lose, because I simply eat a few more hundred calories WHILE REMAINING IN KETOSIS. What this means is that I am maintaining my weight (and have done so for 4 years now) while continuing to follow a keto way of eating.
First, I never said anything about ketosis, and second, I said low-carb diets correct weight (in most cases). I never said people will lose weight until--what? All their fat is gone--that would be ridiculous. Weight correction (or weight loss) is from normalizing blood sugar, not producing ketones or restricting calories. People tend to stop overeating on low-carb or keto because their blood sugar isn't on a roller coaster, making them hungry.

As discussed in my last post, calorie restriction doesn't have only the effect of weight loss, but a slowed metabolism. In other words, someone restricting calories (i.e., not eating to satiety) will see some combination of weight loss, fatigue, and feeling cold, and some effects at the tissue and cellular level that aren't obvious.

If you think I'm full of baloney, look up insulin, look up clinical studies on isocaloric diets of various compositions, look up futile cycle, look up Sam Feltham's overeating experiment.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 01-24-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 08:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post

Blood sugar also plays a major role in mood and hunger, as do various hormonal problems and nutrient deficiencies that are surprisingly common in developed countries.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...0raise%20them.

That is technically incorrect. Insulin plays a role here but it is secondary. Blood sugar is being maintained by insulin, even if you don't eat any sugar. The body creates sugar and regulates our blood sugar levels. It is now discovered that our guy bacteria is responsible for playing a major role in mood and hunger as it directly communicates to our body to make cravings. Which is why it's important to raise more gut bacteria that doesn't feed on sugar and carbs.

Quote:
If someone is eating keto and wants to lose weight while doing so, calories must be restricted - that's how weight loss works. Eat less than you burn.

If someone wants to gain while eating keto, they must eat more than they burn, and if someone wants to maintain weight while eating keto, they must eat maintenance level calories.

How do I know? When I was eating keto to lose weight, I ate fewer calories than I do now while I am eating keto to maintain my weight.

Calories always matter.

Keto since 2016 with no plans to stop.
There is no such thing as eating ketogenic foods to lose weight. A person would eat ketogenic foods in limited quantities to starve the body of glycogen stores to make the body go into ketosis for fuel and the person must be fat adapted in order to do so. One cannot simply keep eating keto foods during ketosis, because it is insulin response that takes our body out of ketosis. Eating any protein or high quantities of fat will pause ketosis. So for those that thinks they can have a big cup of blueberries or a burger that will take the body out of ketosis until the food passes your gut.

Last edited by vision33r; 01-24-2021 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-25-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

That is technically incorrect. Insulin plays a role here but it is secondary. Blood sugar is being maintained by insulin, even if you don't eat any sugar. The body creates sugar and regulates our blood sugar levels. It is now discovered that our guy bacteria is responsible for playing a major role in mood and hunger as it directly communicates to our body to make cravings. Which is why it's important to raise more gut bacteria that doesn't feed on sugar and carbs.
THIS is technically, and for all practical purposes, incorrect. Insulin is supposed to regulate blood sugar. IRL, some people's blood sugar is all over the place when they eat too much carbohydrate. Mostly, it's falling blood sugar and low blood sugar (even if it's just lower than someone is used to) that cause foul moods and hunger. My mother, for example, was diabetic and I saw a dramatic improvement in her mood when she started a low-carb diet. When I ate a lot more carb, I was hungry enough to eat the carpet a few hours after a meal.

For the overwhelming majority of people, the teaspoon of blood sugar that your liver can make to maintain a healthy level is nothing compared to the two or three hundred grams of carb they eat daily. It's simply too much for their pancreas to deal with, and many become diabetic. If their insulin regulated their blood sugar, they wouldn't be diabetic.

Then there are those of us (we seem to be a small minority) whose adrenal glands aren't up to the job and we don't make enough blood sugar. Very low carb helps a lot, sometimes I can even skip lunch, but I'm another one of those with wonky blood sugar if I'm not careful.

Gut bacteria are very important--in fact, it's mostly what we talk about with Dr. Davis (author of Wheat Belly) at weekly Inner Circle meetups. We have a database of various bacteria, we ferment bacteria ourselves, and some members have seen some incredible and unexpected results: increased muscle mass, skin clearing up, IBS improved, somebody even got over their trichotillomania after fifty years. But I can't remember anybody in the meetups or on the forum saying they found significant weight loss or difference in hunger with yogurts we ferment, or probiotics. Maybe we haven't found the right ones. As great as the probiotics are, I would be very surprised if there was some strain that regulated hunger more than insulin does.

Almost all gut bacteria consume sugar and starch, so we eat prebiotics foods daily. The only one I know of that can live on something else is akkermansia muciniphila. What else does it live on? The mucus lining of your gut, which it does when it doesn't have enough carb or prebiotic fiber. Chronic keto people, beware.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 01-25-2021 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: akkermansia sp--it loves mucus, not cities

Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 PM

I eat one meal a day - a keto dinner, with net carbs always less than 20 grams.

This works very well for me, since I 1) hate eating breakfast, 2) don't have a lunch break at school, and 3) don't get hungry until dinner time.

In the days before I followed a keto way of eating, I'd be dragging myself out of bed after hitting snooze for an hour, starving by 10 am, ready for a nap at 2 pm, and in bed by 8 pm. Now I am waking before my alarm at 6, not requiring any naps, and forcing myself to go to bed at night to get 7 hours of sleep.

On the rare occasion I eat more carbs, I feel like crap - tired, headache, gas - so not worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss