Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 11:10 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times

Advertisements

With cigarettes and hard drugs, I've commonly heard that cold-turkey is the way. Just stop doing it altogether, as there's no reason to have a relationship with those things. But food seems like the other way around: it's a necessity, so you have to form some kind of relationship with it.

I was obese for years, and I always had the debate in my mind of whether, when I lost the weight: Would it be from gradual changes or a radical shift? For me, the gradual changes worked far better.

I achieved more progress in 6 months of gradual changes than in 6 years of going on extreme diets and yo-yoing.

If your current diet is 50% optimal, instead of going to 100% immediately, go to 60%. Then go to 70%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:24 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
A year ago, my doctor gave me a shock that I was becoming diabetic. I have never had much of a sweet tooth, I have never been big on eating candy or anything with added sugar. But we dove into the rabbit hole to learn more about carbs and fiber. I decided to give up potatoes, rice, and wheat. and the next month my A1C numbers dropped, my PCP does not believe that a change in diet would be sufficient to lower an A1C score. She thinks the high A1C was just a wild point.

There was a learning curve, as we like to go out for dinner once a week. figuring out what I can eat from menus is sometimes a struggle. I weigh myself every second week and write the numbers on my calendar. But I have not been paying close attention to the numbers.

This week when I weighed myself, I flipped my calendar back to last year, and from the third week of January 2022, to the third week of January 2023, I have lost 52 pounds.

I am fortunate. I like Meat and Veggies. I do not miss bread much. I do miss the convenience of making a sandwich. Sandwiches are very fast and handy. I do miss being able to eat french fries.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:53 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
Suggestion? Portabella mushrooms can be be the base for a sandwich, on a romaine lettuce leaf. Know Papa Murphy's has pizza in a container, just toppings I believe..

Congratulations on your weight loss; you're changed your eating habits !

For myself, I too have made changes, cannot tell exactly. Do weigh most portions, 40 pounds, over a period of time, 20 in the last 4 years ? Cannot seem to lose the last 10, 15 pounds.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:12 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Suggestion? Portabella mushrooms can be the base for a sandwich, on a romaine lettuce leaf. Know Papa Murphy's has pizza in a container, just toppings I believe..
I have not heard of Papa Murphy before.

I do enjoy making pizza. Over the years I have worked in two pizza restaurants.

In 2010, my Dw started growing beans in our garden, and by 2015 she was developing dried-bean flour recipes. breads, pizza, snack crackers, fudge brownies, etc, all wheat-free. I have no desire to grow and process wheat, but since she does so well growing beans, I encouraged her to grow as many beans as she wanted. For 8 years we were doing presentations at our local Ag Fair every year demonstrating bean-flour meals. They say that when you substitute beans in the place of wheat it turns the product from a carb calorie to a protein product.

We quit doing processed 'food' when I retired in 2001.

Quote:
... Congratulations on your weight loss; you're changed your eating habits !
Sometimes you must be careful when changing your diet. In 1997, we moved to Italy and mostly the Mediterranean diet, which triggered my cholesterol to spike.

I have been on statins ever since trying to eat a Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:46 PM

Thank you for sharing more information Submariner. Unfortunately, there's no Papa Murphy's where you live. You, wife probably make a better pizza

IF I do choose to lose more, must make better choices. Being a Vintage female, find I eat at 10, 4, maybe a snack . Discovered, eating 2 eggs, sausage, coffee, no carbs, not hungry for a long time. Drink herbal tea, Celestial Seasons, I enjoy, green tea too.

lair8, what changes did you make ?

Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
I cut out liquor and soda. I try not to eat too much food with added sugar. Aside from that, I eat mostly the same foods, just in smaller portion sizes. I count calories.

I remember at restaurant, I used to eat 5 slices of buttered bread, an appetizer, an entree and maybe a dessert.

Now i eat 1 slice of bread, a small salad and an appetizer.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:25 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Im a cold turkey kind of guy. For me, its not about the food though, its the convenience of not having to make every meal. I find cooking to be a waste of time and I also dont like food going to waste so I have a difficult time not finishing up all of the leftovers at dinner. I have to be in a certain mindset to cook every meal and to be ok with food going into the fridge as a leftover. Once I get past that, its really easy for me because I dont crave food.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I think that well planned, gradual changes work from the standpoint that once you get used to (less salt, less fat, etc.) your cravings for those things reduce.

Plus, when you go cold turkey, it is usually unpleasant, and we do not tend to keep up with things that are unpleasant.

But I think if people know themselves, they know which method will work for them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-01-2023, 03:29 PM

Thank each of you for sharing; trying your suggestions ie let go of bread, rice. Do have Mission carb balance flour, 19 g 7% carb, 15 g fiber 54%. it does have wheat, this is a tortilla.

Mediterranean, when I toured Israel, this is what I ate, the food was so fresh ! Lots of exercise, getting on, off a bus several times a day, walking. Lost 6 pounds in 10 days ! This was 5 years ago, lost more weight since.

Been lax with my eating habits, exercise, think ? ! desire to return to a healthier lifestyle.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:42 PM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
With cigarettes and hard drugs, I've commonly heard that cold-turkey is the way. Just stop doing it altogether, as there's no reason to have a relationship with those things. But food seems like the other way around: it's a necessity, so you have to form some kind of relationship with it.

I was obese for years, and I always had the debate in my mind of whether, when I lost the weight: Would it be from gradual changes or a radical shift? For me, the gradual changes worked far better.

I achieved more progress in 6 months of gradual changes than in 6 years of going on extreme diets and yo-yoing.

If your current diet is 50% optimal, instead of going to 100% immediately, go to 60%. Then go to 70%.
Cannot speak for obesity, but as a smoker, cold-turkey is when you're ready. Everything else is playing.

You need that switch to go off you're done with it, then I quit. You will have cravings but you remember why you quit and you just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss