Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:40 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

I wonder what foods are being eaten. With many foods, a person can't get ahead unless they abandon them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I wonder what foods are being eaten. With many foods, a person can't get ahead unless they abandon them.
That's not necessarily true. All foods can fit into a healthy diet, but we've already seen the diet culture minefield that this thread has become. Some foods are more nutritious than others, some foods are more filling than others, some foods are more satisfying than others. OP has to figure out what he wants to eat to get the results he wants, but that has more to do than what he can stick with in the long term, rather than recommending starvation, deprivation, or avoiding perfectly valid nutrients that some consider "poison."

Old 03-15-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not necessarily true. All foods can fit into a healthy diet...
Certain foods for certain people will not work, due to their personal metabolism, allergic and irritating responses, and body sensitivities. We can't force all foods for all people in all situations. That's basic medical and nutritional fact. We can't force something on the body that it can't handle, and magically hope everything will be fine, just because it is a food and others can eat it with no problem.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:55 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Certain foods for certain people will not work, due to their personal metabolism, allergic and irritating responses, and body sensitivities. We can't force all foods for all people in all situations. That's basic medical and nutritional fact.
Nice straw man.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Nice straw man.
Nice denial man

Old 03-15-2023, 04:24 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It’s all about calories, really. Good choices equal lower calories. Exercise is only a benefit, but it’s not necessary.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:50 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
The diet that worked with my 30 year old body does not work for me now that I'm 57. Starchy/sugary carbs are not my friends.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:00 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

You're right 14 lb would take 28 x14 = a year & 12 months
Oh, No!.. I thnk I've had a stroke and become dys-nummeric!...and I keep forgetting to take my Alzheimer's pills, too.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:59 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Quote:
In other words, I cut my calories in half at the very least.
There is no way you cut your calories in half and are the same weight. That's physically impossible. You are either vaguely estimating it or tracking it incorrectly.

You need more precise measurements. Use measuring cups and a food scale, and track everything. Including sauces, beverages, condiments, small snacks, etc.

Calories are calories. It doesn't matter if you only eat between 1 and 7pm. If you're not at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what window of time you eat in.

Less processed food is fine, but you need to track calories and grams of protein every day. Not just the names of the foods you eat.

You don't have to have to sacrifice your favorite food either. You can just eat what you normally eat, but measure it out at lower portion sizes. Eating foods you don't genuinely like is what causes people to abandon diets. Consistency is important. Gradual weight loss eating foods you enjoy is better than torturing yourself and then giving up.

Old 03-17-2023, 07:11 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Try eating WELL, and exercising efficiently, instead of eating sparse and walking 1.5-3 hours a day.

Gnocci and fruit are almost all carbs. There's very little protein in gnocci and fruit, and no fat in either. There is some nutritional benefit to fruit, but fruit isn't a balanced diet, and gnocci isn't on any diet that I know of, at all. It's just potato pasta.

Try fruit AND veggies, and an actual potato instead of potato gnocci. Bake it (or nuke it), sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it with some garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, and you have an actual meal. Eat the skin.

Surely you haven't spent your entire life -not- learning about nutrition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss