Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 04:00 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am the Op and I give up, I started around March 1. So, after three months, I didn’t lose anything. So to everyone telling me to cut out all processed snacks, white carbs (rice, bread, etc), all I can say is that is false info. Doing all of that kept me at the same weight. So I just ate what I always did, all the white rice and bread and baked lays I want and i will always be 194 ish. So, why deny myself what I like to eat to get no results. All the walking in the world had no effect. So, I have to accept that I simply cannot lose weight. Doing many of the things people suggested had absolutely no effect. This is what my 62 year old body wants and I cannot change its mind. Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately, they do not work on me or many others. Joining a gym is out of the questions. I have 7 herniated discs from a few car accidents so I am not lifting anything and sit-ups are out of the question.
Ok, you make it sound as if you didn't get anything out of this. WRONG!

You got off your duff and got active. You walk. Keep doing this. Yeah, your back is messed up. Don't tell yourself what you CAN'T DO. Tell yourself what you CAN DO! You can do what ever you feel is right with your diet, JUST KEEP ACTIVE.

Can you tell that I work with patients (mostly stroke) in their "balance & mobility rehab?"

Yeah, 5 days a week.

It's a Hell of a lot easier to move a 194 pound patient, vs. a 494 pound patient...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 09:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Have you had your testosterone checked?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2023, 08:12 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You and I wouldn't, but according to Body Mass Index (BMI) charts, the government and healthcare professionals would. In fact, anything over 167 would be considered overweight for a 5'10" man, which is ridiculous. I'm 6'4" and an athletic 235, which makes me almost obese according to the BMI chart, lol. I'm apparently supposed to weigh no more than 197. The last time I weighed less than 200, I was on chemo and looked like I had just walked out of a Nazi concentration camp.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmi_tbl.pdf
Yeah, I don't put much stock in bmi. It doesn't differentiate between male and female, or take into account how much muscle vs fat a person has (a key difference between male & female), or take into account bones (different races and different people within each race have different size and density of bones - since you were athletic, your bones were probably denser than the average man). It's more of a general guideline for the average person, I think.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
I am the Op and I give up, I started around March 1. So, after three months, I didn’t lose anything. So to everyone telling me to cut out all processed snacks, white carbs (rice, bread, etc), all I can say is that is false info. Doing all of that kept me at the same weight. So I just ate what I always did, all the white rice and bread and baked lays I want and i will always be 194 ish. So, why deny myself what I like to eat to get no results. All the walking in the world had no effect. So, I have to accept that I simply cannot lose weight. Doing many of the things people suggested had absolutely no effect. This is what my 62 year old body wants and I cannot change its mind. Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately, they do not work on me or many others. Joining a gym is out of the questions. I have 7 herniated discs from a few car accidents so I am not lifting anything and sit-ups are out of the question.
I warned you that walking wouldn't help w/weight loss. I don't think you're overweight enough for walking to affect weight. But it does help your health....a lot.

It probably would help more if you do exercises and lift weights at home. You can do some exercises, can't you? Or is that out? You can get inexpensive weights at WalMart, Target, etc. You can do weight exercises in a way that protects your back. I find exercise bikes boring, but that would be a good thing to do, since it uses more muscles than walking, and is more aerobic. The thing about exercise is...choose something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it.

I believe a body has a set weight to it, based on the weight it has normally been in recent years. If the weight you want to lose has been on your body for years, it'll take a while to get it to go down & continue. Once that starts happening, your body will start adjusting to newer, lower set weights.

Weighing daily helps me. You'll see how your body responds to what you ate the day before, and you know the next morning you're stepping on the scale.

Don't eat at night. Look this up on the internet. It's called Intermittent Fasting, although I've done it a long time and didn't know it was a thing. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...l%20the%20time.

Focusing on eating healthy rather than calories works better for me. And I've done it all. I have long logs on my laptop of months of detailed tracking of what I ate, calories, protein, carbs, sodium, etc., and whether each was above or below the recommended allowance. It helped me see what was in what I regularly ate (if I had a tendency to eat too little protein, for instance) and that I needed to focus on healthy eating, but it never helped me lose weight. As a female from a family that has morbid obesity in it, I've had to watch my weight all my life, and fight the proverbial few extra lbs, and the extra lbs after quitting smoking. I've done this all my life. It's not a "diet." It's a way of life. I'm in my late 60s and weigh the same or less than I did at 18.

I lost 30 lbs after I gained that wt quitting smoking. It took me about 1 1/2 -2 yrs. That was eating in a way that wasn't that hard. I could have cut back more and sped it up, but I decided to go the slow route after I took off the 1st 20. I started on Weight Watchers, then changed to my own version of WW later. WW is based on healthy eating, keeping an eye on weight loss. You could consider joining. A lot of men do.

Don't say you can't lose weight, because you can. Your body doesn't defy the laws of chemistry. It's also not just about calories. It's about the mix of the various foods you eat and when you eat them and what affects your particular body.

If you want to drop a pound or two suddenly, eat just all protein (meat, eggs) one day. The next morning you'll have dropped weight. It's water loss, of course. But I believe it helps the body after a day of overindulging in carbs the day before. And you'll see that you can lose weight. (I don't believe in the all-protein diet, tho. But that's me.)

Are you serious about losing weight? Check out Weight Watchers or another group. The group is helpful. With Weight Watchers you will lose weight if you follow the program. You'll also learn about nutrition. WW is based simply on eating healthy foods, normal amounts. Also get yourself a good nutrition book and learn about nutrition.

If you like white foods, limit them to natural foods like white potatoes. Other white foods (white bread, rice, sugar, etc.) are heavily milled with all the healthy parts removed. Brown rice is better than white. White foods like sugar are highly glycemic and increase hunger, and are linked to diabetes type 2. If you watch obese people eat, notice that they eat a lot of white foods, fast foods, fatty foods, etc., although they may also eat healthy foods.

As long as you consider altering your eating habits to be healthier as "denying" yourself from what you really want (chips, pastries, white bread...), you'll never make it. After you eat healthy for a while, you will lose your addictive taste for some of those foods. You will LOVE your orange, the gorgeous red apple, and prefer the large bowl of Cheerios w/cold skim milk over a honeybun. But those addictive foods can still be eaten as special treats. I love candy. So now I try to limit candy to my favorite holiday candy at each big holiday. I have a particular candy I buy for Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. If I can't find that candy, I don't buy any at all, though. That's my rule. (Okay, one year I cheated & bought a substitute.)

You don't have much to lose, and men lose weight much faster than women. You CAN lose weight.

Last edited by bpollen; 07-06-2023 at 11:57 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 04:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,628 times
I have tried it all. I guess at age 62, I am stuck at 184 no matter what I’d eat or do. So I decided to buy a month of Nutrisystem. Monday morning I was 194.2. Today, four days later, I am 190.5. I will continue. It’s going to work. Then I will see about maintaining.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:56 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago, I bottomed out. I am 5'10 and weighed myself at 194 lbs. That was it for me. I called myself a Moderator cut: language removed and decided I do not want to live like this anymore. I hate my size 34 pants being so tight and will never go to a 35 because I know I will never return. I prefer being uncomfortable in my current clothes so that I am forced to address the issue.

I immediately began walking a minimum of 1 1/2 hours per day (non stop). Sometimes twice. So, right there, I would have to lose weight even if I continued to eat the way I did because I am introducing calorie-burning exercise that I was not doing before. But, I also stopped eating past 7 pm, did not start eating until 1pm each day after my 1 hour walk at lunch time. No processed snacks (cheese its, etc). Fruit all day until dinner. Low fat stuff like gnocci for dinner. In other words, I cut my calories in half at the very least.

After 9 days, I went from 194 to 189. Woo hoo. So, please somebody tell me why and how is it possible that after doing the very same thing for another week, I gained 2 lbs? How is that even possible? The only thing I did differently is to add one tsp of coconut oil each morning after reading that it is a medium strain fat and helps the liver burn other fat. That said, that is 14 gm of fat a day added to my intake. Even with that oil, I am eating far less than I was before I started.

This is what is so discouraging about losing weight. You can sacrifice all of the foods you normally eat and also get out and walk for hours a day and when you lose nothing after a week or so, you wonder why you are even bothering. I could have kept eating what I was eating and sit on a couch and watch tv instead of walking I would have most likely stayed at my current weight.

Is it possibly I just cannot lose weight anymore? I am 61 years old but active as hell at work and doing other things. Not mountain climbing or running marathons but I am not sitting around doing nothing. It is all very discouraging. Anyone else change eating habits and exercising only to stay the same weight or even gain weight?
In 9 days to go from 194 to 189 means you lost 5lbs. For those 5lbs to be fat means you’d need a calorie deficit of 1945 calories per day (3,500 calories in 1lb of fat * 5 / 9).

That’s of course not what you did. So most of that weight loss was water. Hence what you regained the next week (2lbs) was water.

You first need realistic goals. And you need to think calories in vs out. Not cutting out foods. You can gain weight on healthy foods and lose weight on processed junk, it’s all calories in vs out. Of course eating healthy foods has other benefits.

1% body weight per week should be your target. At 190lbs that’s 2lbs a week. However the scale will show a mixture of fat/muscle vs water so don’t use the scale as gospel. Up your protein without increasing calories to preserve muscle.

Also a 1 hour walk at your weight and likely pace probably burns off just 1 or 2 apples

Old 08-27-2023, 01:45 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I said in a previous post. A calorie is not a calorie.,
Yes, it actually is. They asked about HEALTH, not CALORIES/weight - those are different things. You can maintain the same weight on 2,000 calories of ice cream vs 2,000 of vegetables, your HEALTH just might suffer over time. Do you understand the difference here?

And yeah, things get harder as you age. What worked at 30 isn't going to work at 62, and I realize that's a hard pill to swallow. I also wondered "what's going on" when my weight wasn't budging, until I started to treat my middle-aged body like it is (not as I did when I was 30). Tracking my calories for a month was the start, and really opened my eyes to how much I was actually consuming on a daily basis.

I know this thread is old, but I had to add my two cents here. Hopefully you've figured some stuff out by now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-27-2023 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-27-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I have tried it all. I guess at age 62, I am stuck at 184 no matter what I’d eat or do. So I decided to buy a month of Nutrisystem. Monday morning I was 194.2. Today, four days later, I am 190.5. I will continue. It’s going to work. Then I will see about maintaining.
I tried Nutrisystem, and it works for a little while... but staying on a program like that almost always fails, since we (humans) cannot maintain such a strict and limited diet. But it's good for getting a jump start, and learning about portion sizes + caloric intakes, etc. Good luck!

And while only you know your body, I don't think 190lbs is a bad weight for a man of your height. Meh. Focus on your health and blood work, imo.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
A calorie might not be a calorie.

Studies have shown that X amount calories from something like almonds does not absorb (add to your caloric intake), as much as the equivalent of other (usually less healthy foods), plus, there are interactions that essentially reduce the caloric intake. One example is fiber, when eaten with fat, the fiber moves (binds?) with the fat and expedites it leaving the body with the fiber.

For a variety of reasons, WHAT you eat, does matter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A calorie might not be a calorie.

Studies have shown that X amount calories from something like almonds does not absorb (add to your caloric intake), as much as the equivalent of other (usually less healthy foods), plus, there are interactions that essentially reduce the caloric intake. One example is fiber, when eaten with fat, the fiber moves (binds?) with the fat and expedites it leaving the body with the fiber.

For a variety of reasons, WHAT you eat, does matter.
Of course it does. I meant that in more literal terms... that yes, if you eat 3,000 calories worth of "good stuff," you can still gain weight like if you'd eaten 3,000 calories of "bad stuff." You don't magically gain weight just because one is less healthy than the other, at least not until we're talking about a long-term pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss