Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 08:57 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
Get back in contact with your doctor, ask him what is available to help you lose weight.

My doctor belongs to a local hospital group, and that group offers (for a small price) a weight loss clinic. The one that I attended was conducted in a group setting, led by therapists who offer counselling on weight loss methods, from identifying why we eat the way that we do, moving the group members to a healthier permanent diet (via dietician meal plans), and to proper exercise. That exercise will be tailored to each person's current physical ability. I jokingly referred to it in group as 'Overeaters Anonymous' - but it did help me lose 60 lbs in 3 months.

You may not have access to such help, but it can't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 12:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
ALL good posts, so can't add much.

Was wondering why your joints hurt. Eastern medicine would come up with 'when your
joints hurt your heart is in stress and sending you a message" ---like a blinking light in your car...but Westerners
don't know what these aches are telling us.

Couple things you could try, if you want - stop drinking coffee -see if that helps your joints ...then start up again ...are they worse now?
(Btw, always drink organic coffee - other countries do not have FDA regulations and use horrid chemicals still
sucked up into the bean!)

Also, see if your joints get worse after you have more animal fat than usual (good way again is to stop all animal fat, notice ---then start up again).
Most Americans know now not to be eating bacon, pork fat and greasy hamburgers everyday.
My friends take the skin off chicken breasts...but how animal fat sneaks in without thinking is dairy; cheeses, gravy, sour cream, ice cream, creamy soups.
''The heart is a water pump - when you put animal fat in it it's like putting bubble gum in a water pump.''
A mantra my acupuncturist would say to me.

No one has to follow this concept...they can see for themselves.
You feel fine? Eat tons of cheese, lasagna, Mexican food, greasy hamburgers, pizza for a few days, cream cheese on bagels..see if
your neck gets stiff, or for no reason your shoulders are tight.
I tell my friends watch for a year...see if every time you have too much cheese - if your neck gets stiff.
After a while ya see a pattern for yourself.

I learned all this from an Acupuncturists/ Clinical Kinesiologist and didn't believe him. Then, I saw for myself after awhile.

Just a thought about your joints.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:04 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
ALL good posts, so can't add much.

Was wondering why your joints hurt. ...
Just a thought about your joints.
If you're obese, you put a lot of stress on your joints. That can make them hurt. It's pretty common for obese people to have sore joints. Imagine having to carry a backpack with 100 pounds of sand in it everywhere you go.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:36 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If you're obese, you put a lot of stress on your joints. That can make them hurt. It's pretty common for obese people to have sore joints. Imagine having to carry a backpack with 100 pounds of sand in it everywhere you go.
I remember being in an orthopedic surgeon's office waiting room. It was a big practice with 4 surgeons. Lots of people waiting to be seen. My guess would be over 75% of them were obese.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Chuckling a bit at my own hubris, in light of these remarks: I've kept off a lot more than 100 lost lbs. the past year and a half, but it's a daily mindfulness thing. With help from my nutritional doctor and other methods (see earlier thread(s)). Sand: well in my case how about an extra couple BIG dogs being hauled around. That did not need to be...

Yes weight loss is mostly diet-based, calories in vs. calories out. I track my food intake to stay self-accountable. And yes most obese people are...what's the word my ND uses...."irritated" or "inflamed" so no wonder most of me hurt. Most of the time. Better off without it, suffice to say. Exercise, subject of the post, is far easier now. Hope it works out for OP based on the various suggestions.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:42 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
Hello! I'm in a stupid situation... so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
thanks to those who can answer me!
Obesity is, I believe, about 30% more than normal weight. Morbid obesity is more than that.

Are you morbidly obese, or just obese? I ask because I believe if you are morbidly obese, bariatric surgery might be the way to go. I say this, having grown up in a family with three morbidly obese people. Being morbidly obese is a different animal than the other type, and is complicated.

If you are just the lower level of obesity, I recommend Weight Watchers. WW was started years ago specifically for very overweight people. It's also easy to live with (at least it used to be...I'm not sure how it is now) for an extended period of time, and transitions to a lifetime eating plan and habits.

I am not obese but did gain 24-30 lbs when I quit smoking 20 yrs ago. I joined Weight Watchers. I actually manipulated the eating plan to better suit me, but was otherwise pretty good the first year, and dropped a lot of the weight I'd gained. I dropped out the 2nd year, but stayed on a similar eating plan I'd devised for myself, and took the few remaining pounds off. Those last few are the hardest to lose.

What's good about WW is that it takes a long time because you get to eat a fair amount of different kinds of food. The fact that it takes a while has the benefit of changing the member's eating habits in a permanent way (hopefully). It did for me, anyway. I never went back to the eating habits that caused me to gain the weight, although I did fluctuate up and down a bit afterwards.

I've spent a lifetime watching my weight. I went on my first "diet" of sorts when I was 10 years old (that consisted of just having one bowl of icecream instead of two). I got a pamphlet (the Air Force "getting and staying healthy" pamphlet), and used it as my bible.

What I've found throughout my life is that losing weight is more about what and when you eat, than exercise or anything else. I've found that it's important not to eat past 7 p.m. I eat with the idea of being healthy, rather than slim. That automatically cuts out, or cuts down, certain fattening foods, like ice cream, cookies, white bread, white potatoes, cake, candy, etc.

Exercise is necessary, though, for a healthy life. Walking every day for just 20 minutes will help cholesterol and blood pressure. Working out with weights will add muscle. Muscle helps with balance and strength and size...and uses more calories to maintain. The weights can be small to begin with, and even doing knee-pushups will help build muscle in your arms. Maybe doing pilates would be appropriate for you. There are Youtube videos with yoga and pilates workouts, as well as beginner weight-building videos. Any sort of exercise will improve a person's health. Anyone can do some sort of exercise, even if he's in a wheelchair.

So I'd say approach it from a health viewpoint, and to focus mainly on eating (eating during the day with dinner no later than 7 pm). Joining Weight Watchers would be a good start. It's a group of people all with the same issue, all working toward the same goal. With an eating plan that's workable and lets the member eat a variety of regular foods. Then add some regular exercise that you LIKE. If you don't like it, you won't do it.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Go to a dietician.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Of course.
We don't know the entire picture yet. Does his/her wrists or elbows hurt? How about the shoulders, neck?
A bigger picture would be great.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:00 AM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Of course.
We don't know the entire picture yet. Does his/her wrists or elbows hurt? How about the shoulders, neck?
A bigger picture would be great.
My guess is that we will never hear from her again.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Exercise, low impact, will actually help your joints.

If you have knee pain, this might work:

https://www.braceability.com/blogs/a...ight-knee-pain

I would suggest, since you are obese, that you look at exercises for seniors which are lower impact. I bet you will be surprised that if you start moving, the pain will lessen. I'm a younger senior, but when I wake up, often everything is painful, but dragging myself out of bed and moving, moving and moving makes the pain disappear. Extra weight is really hard on one's joints, even 15 extra pounds, so............

Also, find a hobby that you can work on in the evening to have something to do rather than snack, busy hands and working on a project or puzzle, etc. might distract you from eating. Eating 3 meals is better than 1 or 2, and cut the snacks unless it is veggies like carrots and celery. Also learn about nutrition and calories. I have seen people think that they only had a small soda, small fries and a burger, well, that is almost enough calories for the day, and fat allowance also!

I have a friend that was about 100 lbs overweight. She said she started walking just a little bite every day, and although it took time, she lost the weight.

Once you lose the weight, unless you adapt your lifestyle, you'll put it right back on.

Good luck. Keep a positive attitude, as you can do it. "Nothing worth doing is easy." or so that is how I have seen it always play out. It will be hard as the weight will come off fairly slowly.
Walking is a great way to lose weight. You might start and not even be able to walk a block, but over time you should be able to walk farther. If that is a problem to do on land, the OP can look into going to a place with a pool to do water walking or water aerobics. I went to one class at the gym and there were people in walkers or other mobility devices like canes that were able to take part. Once the OP is able to get some weight loss off with some diet changes, she may be able to move to walking outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss