Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,633 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm in a stupid situation... so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
thanks to those who can answer me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:09 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
You don't want to lose weight fast. You want to do it healthy so aim for something like 1.5 pounds per week.

Can you swim? That's one way of lightening the load on your joints. Walking can be lower intensity than a lot of sports. Putting some of your favorite fast paced music and dance. It burns calories and can be a lot of fun. I suck at dancing, but I do it anyway.

Most weight loss comes from cutting calories. The exercise makes you feel better, but doesn't really burn off as many calories as not eating as much does. Some foods are obviously better than others. Work more of the veggies into your diet and cut out the breads and junk food. Figure out a weight loss goal and track your calories. For me, it helps to do goals of 5-10 pounds or less. When I meet that, I set the next goal. I've lost over 40 pounds doing that. I use an app and input my goals and it tells me how many calories I can eat. I can earn more calories if I workout.

I don't always eat healthy so I'm learning to watch my calories instead. I can split a nacho plate with my husband and not eat as much. If I have to have pizza, I'm only allowed to have two pieces and then I eat something else if I am still hungry. The key is to not pig out and even if you do, get back on track the next day.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:03 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
Hello! I'm in a stupid situation... so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
Losing weight will happen primarily through your diet, not with exercise. Exercise is good for you, and you should figure out how to get some movement in every day. The important thing for both diet and exercise is to make sustainable changes. Crash diets and intense workouts that you hate might get you results, but if you can't stick with them in the long haul, they're useless. You didn't put on the weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight, either. Be patient with yourself and celebrate your successes that aren't tied to the number on the scale.

For gentle nutrition, think of adding, rather than subtracting, from your diet. How can you add fiber, healthy fats, protein, and colorful produce to what you're eating? You can still eat foods you enjoy, but adjust your portion sizes and include other nutrients to make your meals filling and satisfying.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-12-2023 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-12-2023, 11:57 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Exercise, low impact, will actually help your joints.

If you have knee pain, this might work:

https://www.braceability.com/blogs/a...ight-knee-pain

I would suggest, since you are obese, that you look at exercises for seniors which are lower impact. I bet you will be surprised that if you start moving, the pain will lessen. I'm a younger senior, but when I wake up, often everything is painful, but dragging myself out of bed and moving, moving and moving makes the pain disappear. Extra weight is really hard on one's joints, even 15 extra pounds, so............

Also, find a hobby that you can work on in the evening to have something to do rather than snack, busy hands and working on a project or puzzle, etc. might distract you from eating. Eating 3 meals is better than 1 or 2, and cut the snacks unless it is veggies like carrots and celery. Also learn about nutrition and calories. I have seen people think that they only had a small soda, small fries and a burger, well, that is almost enough calories for the day, and fat allowance also!

I have a friend that was about 100 lbs overweight. She said she started walking just a little bite every day, and although it took time, she lost the weight.

Once you lose the weight, unless you adapt your lifestyle, you'll put it right back on.

Good luck. Keep a positive attitude, as you can do it. "Nothing worth doing is easy." or so that is how I have seen it always play out. It will be hard as the weight will come off fairly slowly.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Agree with other posts. There's a saying about losing weight:

"You can't outrun your fork!" (if you need that translated, basically it means you can't exercise enough to counteract bad eating habits).

I have a lot of orthopedic issues that limit the types of exercise I can do as well as how much. It is easy to use aches and pains as a convenient excuse to do nothing. I'm not stupid...I know why I gain excess pounds and I also know what needs to be done about it. Busy hands, busy mind, better decisionmaking regarding what food I do eat. It doesn't work to make draconian decisions/go on excessive diets because they aren't sustainable over time. Baby steps...small changes you can live with. Then take the next step and the next. I also find that the busier I stay or the more focused I get on projects the easier it is to forget about food and every ounce I might or might not be losing. The weight just starts to come off. It isn't particularly quick, but it lasts because it was due to a life change. It took time to become obese and it will take time to become NOT obese. The more time you're busy doing other things, the less time you have to stuff your mouth.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-12-2023 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2023, 06:18 PM

310 posts, read 323,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
You cannot lose weight quickly and have it be safe. Why do you need to lose it quickly? This question takes some reflection and time. A lot of people fail simply because they want the weight to come off faster and when it does not, they quit.

Here is another question. Did you not know you were at an unhealthy weight before your doctor told you? Sure him telling you did not come as surprise.

Okay, now for the good news. You can certainly lose weight without exercise. Exercise is only 10% of the equation. The rest is diet. Exercise is important but you do not need to focus on that just yet.

Losing weight comes down to burning more calories than you are taking in.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:59 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
My doc said a recumbent exercise bike is good even if you have trouble with your knees. They're often cheap or even free on Craigslist.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,457 times
Post Calorie Deficit

Losing weight = losing fat = calorie deficit does that.
You have to calculate your calorie needs and create a deficit of max 250-300 cal a day. Even 200 is enough. But you need to track everything (dressings, creamer, tasting food on the counter, licks and bites, drinks...).
Reach your protein goal daily (recommended 1.5g per kg of body weight). That's it.
Be consistent & patient. It is not a linear process. It did not take you a month to get to where you are now, it won't take you a month to lose it.
Good luck

Old 04-14-2023, 10:44 AM

3,123 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Isometric exercises.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:52 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I would cut out sugary and starchy carbs. If you are obese to the point of your joints being painful, you can lose more than a pound or two a week. In fact, once you cut out sugar/starches you will likely lose a fair amount of water weight at first.

Look up the Keto diet or simply low carb recipes. At first it is HARD and WEIRD to stop eating things like rice, pasta, ice cream, pizza, etc but after eating close to nature for awhile you really do stop craving that stuff. And when you do crave it, there are low carb substitutions that you can make.

Once you drop enough weight that it is easier to walk and be physical, you can look at a joining a gym to build muscle and change your body composition. But right now, focus on diet.

You can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss