Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 03:14 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times

Advertisements

I have more confidence in the books and research done about the Blue Zones and the similiarities between the diets of people who live to 100 around the world with very little disease. Most of these are plant based diets. Very little meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 05:37 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Just eat whole foods. Mostly foods grown as a plant--not made in a plant.

I try to stick to one (1) ingredient foods. Unprocessed without a lot of chemicals I cannot pronounce.

Result? Not overweight, not in pain and able to do one hour work-outs and yoga.

PS I'm a senior. My cheap daily thrill s one small square of the best dark chocolate I can find. Satisfies the sugar/richness I long for. Used to need ice cream. No more! I don't feel deprived.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:42 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I think that no matter how well researched a diet is, no matter how hard a diet is pushed, it most likely will not work well for everybody.

That is why I have a hard time with all the so-called diet-experts making blanket-recommendations
for people to eat the diet they are pushing..............currently much of that is keto and vegan.

Many times it takes much trial & error for the individual to find the diet that works best for themselves. Sure, try different diets..........but be objective and honest in how well it is working, be willing to change if
it really is not working well for you.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:50 AM

It's been proven, time after time, that diets don't work. Weight lost is regained...

So why not try a lifestyle change?? A Forever Way of Eating.

Find a new way of eating that satisfies, doesn't involve a limited choice of foods and works as a forever way of eating that nourishes?

The Standard American Diet is the worst in the world. A third of us are overweight/obese.

For your own good health, why not investigate the Mediterranean Diet and/or the DASH Diet?

Both are well-balanced, delicious, filling, nutritious and weight controlling.

But I guess it's human nature to look for a quick fix and so the diet industry will keep selling us books, pills, programs, and the latest whiz-bang way of eating. Next, the air diet?

Old 07-30-2023, 01:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It's been proven, time after time, that diets don't work. Weight lost is regained...

So why not try a lifestyle change?? A Forever Way of Eating.

Find a new way of eating that satisfies, doesn't involve a limited choice of foods and works as a forever way of eating that nourishes?

The Standard American Diet is the worst in the world. A third of us are overweight/obese.
"Obesity in adults
It's estimated that a little over 42% of American adults have obesity, while about 30.7% are overweight. Overall, more than two-thirds of U.S. adults in the United States are overweight or have obesity."

So your statement should be "a third of us are not overweight/obese."

Old 07-30-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
"Obesity in adults
It's estimated that a little over 42% of American adults have obesity, while about 30.7% are overweight. Overall, more than two-thirds of U.S. adults in the United States are overweight or have obesity."

Egad! Even worse than I thought!! So sad what's become of us.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
"Obesity in adults

All 42% of obese people are overweight. "Obese" is a subset of "overweight." So unless you can show a graph indicating that "obese" people are not considered "overweight," then 42% of American adults are overweight, with around two-thirds of those overweight people falling into the category of obesity.

That doesn't mean that 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. It means 2/3 of overweight Americans are obese. But fewer than half of Americans are overweight.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:30 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
All 42% of obese people are overweight. "Obese" is a subset of "overweight." So unless you can show a graph indicating that "obese" people are not considered "overweight," then 42% of American adults are overweight, with around two-thirds of those overweight people falling into the category of obesity.

That doesn't mean that 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. It means 2/3 of overweight Americans are obese. But fewer than half of Americans are overweight.
Quote:
The US obesity prevalence was 41.9% in 2017 – March 2020. (NHANES, 2021)
From 1999 –2000 through 2017 –March 2020, US obesity prevalence increased from 30.5% to 41.9%. During the same time, the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%. (NHANES, 2021)
Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. These are among the leading causes of preventable, premature death.
The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was nearly $173 billion in 2019 dollars. Medical costs for adults who had obesity were $1,861 higher than medical costs for people with healthy weight.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

It's 40%. From my untrained eye, I'd say 80% of adult Americans are overweight.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

I'm just googling the percentage of Americans that are overweight. The above came up yesterday. This is what came up today:

(9) A closer look at the U.S. numbers in adults: Roughly two out of three U.S. adults are overweight or obese (69 percent) and one out of three are obese (36 percent). (9) Obesity rates are higher in non-Hispanic Black, Hispanic, and Mexican American adults than in non-Hispanic White adults.

Adult Obesity - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Old 07-31-2023, 11:54 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
That'd be horrible for me, to include gross artery-clogging items like eggs and bacon, and not enough veggies, and no tortillas or French bread. Seems extreme. I like 40% veggies, 30% meat, 20% carbs, and 10% fruit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss