Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 04:47 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

LOOKING FOR A GOOD KETO "How To" BOOK FOR those of us 70+ YEARS --- I'm on KETO and would like to hear from Forum KETO people about a book for people 70+ years old. Need examples of daily food plans that have carb contents and possibly the portion measurements in ounces or cups. Also any experience, strength and hope you can share on good tips you would like to share for someone who's only been doing KETO for 3 weeks.

If you haven't used a book, yet are successful at losing some weight and keeping it off, your suggestions would be appreciated. Using the scale isn't as helpful with KETO. I could tell in a couple weeks that I was losing inches, but the scale didn't move down a lot.

Questions: How much weight have you lost? Did you keep your cheating to minimal or more than minimal? What about nuts? Recently drew the conclusion that even lower carb nuts with high fiber keep me from losing inches and pounds. Any truth to this? Or is it my imagination? I like them because they are higher in fat. What health benefits did you notice doing KETO in your 70's - or whatever age you were while you were managing your food via KETO? What are your. favorite foods and portions to have while on keto. Have any of you in your 70's and above tried intermittent fasting?

My example is...Breakfast, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 oz full fat Greek yogurt, 2 ounces fresh raspberries

Lunch: 4 oz chicken, 2 cups salad greens and tomato. Either use a prepared dressing or chop up a small avocado.

Dinner: 4 oz pork or 3 oz cheese, 2 cups vegetable (cauliflower, carrots, zucchini), 1 T. Butter or a small avocado

Looking forward to getting some of your good suggestions about what works when doing KETO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 04:29 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
A couple points about the "keto diet"--

The simplified physiology behind it is this-- fat is mostly 16 carbon molecules-- not soluble in water (blood). Ketone bodies are 4- carbon molecules derived when fat is broken down and sent into your blood stream (water soluble)...

If you eat more than some minimum amount of carbs, you don't mobilze fats, ie- no ketone bodies are formed; no fat mobilized....Everybody is different, so that minimum carb level must be found by you for your own self....You can get "ketone strips" at the drug store to test your urine for ketone bodies...No ketone bodies = too much carb in your diet...

...those couple of carrots (almost all sugar) or the avocado or even a little of bread or veggies (starches) can prevent the ketosis you're looking for.

...reading a book on the keto diet is kinda like reading a book on how to ride a bicycle. It givees you an idea, but you gotta actually do it to figure out the details.

More importantly-- if you're over 70, why? Your team is 12 games out of first place with only three weeks left in the season. You can live large now-- no penalties for dissapation. They can't shave your head and send you to Viet Nam at this point.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:42 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

...reading a book on the keto diet is kinda like reading a book on how to ride a bicycle. It givees you an idea, but you gotta actually do it to figure out the details.

More importantly-- if you're over 70, why? Your team is 12 games out of first place with only three weeks left in the season. You can live large now-- no penalties for dissapation. They can't shave your head and send you to Viet Nam at this point.
Had to smile at this. Proper diet and exercise for people over 70 makes a huge difference in how life can be enjoyed. But I was once of an age when 70 seemed ancient, so I understand. Still, it's funny to hear.

I don't really like all this keto discussion. I suppose I follow keto, since I just had my breakfast of pork chop, eggs and coffee. And my lunch will likely be hamburger patty with cheese and bacon and around 2PM.
I just cringe at all the nonsense I see promoted as "Keto Friendly" at the store. Keto Friendly pancakes?! You gotta be kidding me.

I'm 77. I haven't eaten bread or rice or any on that stuff in way over a year. I work out 3X a week and walk on days off.
Cholesterol - 134
HDL - 41
LDL - 80
Triglycerides - 64

I believe vegetable oils are great for machinery, but unfit for human consumption, and believe humans need very few carbohydrates. Obesity, I believe, is primarily caused by (A) fruits and vegetables (B) alcohol and (C) continuous consumption of all the stuff labeled "diet" and "lo-cal".
I live my life according to my beliefs - some of which are only recently founded.
I have lost 40 pounds since my previous beliefs led me to have heart surgery 2 years ago.

Last edited by Listener2307; 05-31-2023 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-31-2023, 07:56 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
LOOKING FOR A GOOD KETO "How To" BOOK FOR those of us 70+ YEARS --- I'm on KETO and would like to hear from Forum KETO people about a book for people 70+ years old. Need examples of daily food plans that have carb contents and possibly the portion measurements in ounces or cups. Also any experience, strength and hope you can share on good tips you would like to share for someone who's only been doing KETO for 3 weeks.

If you haven't used a book, yet are successful at losing some weight and keeping it off, your suggestions would be appreciated. Using the scale isn't as helpful with KETO. I could tell in a couple weeks that I was losing inches, but the scale didn't move down a lot.

Questions: How much weight have you lost? Did you keep your cheating to minimal or more than minimal? What about nuts? Recently drew the conclusion that even lower carb nuts with high fiber keep me from losing inches and pounds. Any truth to this? Or is it my imagination? I like them because they are higher in fat. What health benefits did you notice doing KETO in your 70's - or whatever age you were while you were managing your food via KETO? What are your. favorite foods and portions to have while on keto. Have any of you in your 70's and above tried intermittent fasting?

My example is...Breakfast, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 oz full fat Greek yogurt, 2 ounces fresh raspberries

Lunch: 4 oz chicken, 2 cups salad greens and tomato. Either use a prepared dressing or chop up a small avocado.

Dinner: 4 oz pork or 3 oz cheese, 2 cups vegetable (cauliflower, carrots, zucchini), 1 T. Butter or a small avocado

Looking forward to getting some of your good suggestions about what works when doing KETO.
Me.... Lose the yogurt and raspberries for breakfast; find more protein for lunch, eat a bigger pork chop for dinner.

See post above.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I agree with Listener. Rem plenty of water, people forget!

Old 05-31-2023, 04:18 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Had to smile at this. Proper diet and exercise for people over 70 makes a huge difference in how life can be enjoyed. ....
I can agree with that. You can torture youself with some extreme diet or you can enjoy all the Dove bars you like, but attention to diet at this point will neither add nor subtract even one day to the length of your life.

The Fates in classical mythology are three nymphs-- one is feedng in the wool, one is spinning it at the wheel and the third is cutting the new yarn into varous lenthgs-- By age 70, you obviously have not been a smoker, played hop-scotch on busy streets or tugged on Superman's cape very often. Art this point, that third nymph is poised to make her random cut and nothing you do will change her mind.

In regards your Cholesterol - 134
HDL - 41
LDL - 80
Triglycerides - 64....

...Thank your parents, not your dietician or exercise instructor.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:02 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
IMHO, most people who think they are doing a keto-diet, well, really are not.

The body loves mainly using glucose for fuel, it does a lot of things to stay with what it prefers. Too many carbs, too much protein, whoops, those small amounts of ketones you had vanished.

When I say people are not really doing a keto-diet.....I mean they do not have ketones as a main source of bodily fuel. Sure, some may have some ketones present, but they are not adapted to using ketones as their main source of fuel.

Read some articles on a medically-prescribed ketogenic-diet, the protein-level are very low and carbs are right there also. Ketones are monitored and the diet is regularly adjusted to get optimal ketone-levels.
These diet are somewhere around 80% fat, many times restricted in calories to further increase ketosis.

Most people doing a keto-diet are actually doing a high-protein diet......and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:23 PM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times
My problem with any low-carb diet plan is that I'm okay for a day or two.

However, before too long, the thought of more meat and eggs just makes me want to gag.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:28 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
I’ve been living a low-carb (not keto but similar) lifestyle for eleven years, and at age 68 I like the benefits and plan to continue eating this way for the rest of my life. Yes, I lost 75 pounds in the first three years and have kept off the weight, but that isn’t the main benefit for me. Compared to my bread and potatoes days, I just feel much better overall with no joint pains and energy swings.

My wife joined me seven years ago when her doctor told her she was pre-diabetic. Her A1c dropped from 6.5 to 5.2, and she lost over 50 pounds. She is a cake lover, so low carb is more difficult from her perspective, but we’ve become pretty good at baking substitute cakes and cookies that satisfy both our cravings.

We both eat all of the “bad” stuff doctors warn people to avoid, eggs, cream, bacon, butter, etc., yet our lab results today are normal and better than the test results when we ate lots of carbohydrates and avoided high fat foods. All that said, I’ve given up trying to proselytize or advocate this lifestyle to friends and family members. Most just want a quick “fix” for their obesity and are unwilling to commit to the changes needed.

Pass the bacon —

Old 05-31-2023, 05:35 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
My problem with any low-carb diet plan is that I'm okay for a day or two.

However, before too long, the thought of more meat and eggs just makes me want to gag.
There are plenty of low carb vegetables you can incorporate: broccoli, celery, green beans, squash, cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, celeriac, lettuce. One of our common meals is an Asian stir fry with tofu or a meat protein and a side of palm or cauliflower fried “rice”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss