Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 08:42 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

Just curious here. What was the one or two things that really made a difference in your diet/weight when you cut out either completely or close to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 09:42 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Just curious here. What was the one or two things that really made a difference in your diet/weight when you cut out either completely or close to it?
Ice cream, hands down. I ate it every day. Sometimes I went directly to the little homemade ice cream shop about a mile from my house when I got off the train from work, around 6 or 7, before I went home. Then I would have dinner a couple of hours later.

I always had some in the freezer, too.

Now I have ice cream every few months for special occasions. Had some two weeks ago when the wedding I attended had an ice cream bar. Figured I danced it off anyway.

Second would be bread. I eat it occasionally, but not daily. It blows me right up. I also have it sparingly. Example, yesterday I had breakfast at a diner with a friend. Got an omelet, came with toast. I ordered rye, but only ate one piece.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:48 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Something that's making a difference for me is not labeling food as "good" or "bad" and knowing that one meal, one holiday, even one vacation is not going to ruin my health. Recognizing that different foods serve different purposes at different times. So I can allow myself have french fries or a piece of birthday cake with the understanding that they're fun and tasty, but less nutritious than other foods, and my diet needs to be balanced with those nutrient dense, filling foods.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Something that's making a difference for me is not labeling food as "good" or "bad" and knowing that one meal, one holiday, even one vacation is not going to ruin my health. Recognizing that different foods serve different purposes at different times. So I can allow myself have french fries or a piece of birthday cake with the understanding that they're fun and tasty, but less nutritious than other foods, and my diet needs to be balanced with those nutrient dense, filling foods.
Couldn't rep you again, but yes, that's important. We shouldn't agonize over what we eat. I normally do not eat pasta. It's never been my favorite thing, so I can live without it, and it's basically just flour and water dried into shapes. Not exactly a nutritious food (yes, I have had lentil and palm and other non-wheat pastas occasionally, I know they exist.)

There is a very good Italian restaurant in my area where friends and I like to go to celebrate birthdays and so forth. I normally get a fish entree when I go there, but there's an interesting pasta on the menu that's said to be the owner/chef's favorite, a very peasant-type red-sauce dish made with guanciale and onions, and I wanted to try it. So I did. I ate carefully the day before and earlier that day, too, so that I would feel free to indulge in the carbs and have a piece of the good bread to dip in the oil, too. It was SO good, and it satisfied my curiosity, and I'm none the worse for it.

As far as cake goes, if I am somewhere that involves a cake, like the wedding I attended recently, I allow myself a forkful or two to taste it, and I don't eat the rest.

With French fries, I made up my mind that I will only ever eat very high-quality fries, not the frozen jobs or the crap you get at a diner, which are probably the frozen ones, too. If good, hand-cut, freshly-made fries cross my path, I will allow myself a few.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:50 AM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
When I live alone or go on vacation alone or I'm in the hospital. I don't need much, I only eat very small portions, simple foods. I can survive on a few dollars/month. A baked potato and some cheese for a meal, an egg and a cup of tea, a yogurt and a slice of bread, some fruit and a few walnuts, raw carrots etc.

I lose a lot of weight but I'm not hungry.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:07 AM

Has anybody cut out snacking later in the evening after dinner & seen really strong results?

I used to eat peanut butter whether it be by spoon fulls or on a piece of bread many nights when I got home from the gym. Why? Because I had always heard it's good to get protein after a work out. But I probably took in 300 or so calories of Jiff PB by doing that. I cut that out completely back in June. I also went to skim milk & cut back on my energy drinks. I'm down about 10 pounds since then and look thinner. The thing is I don't want to go back to all the things I mentioned but I also don't want to lose anymore so trying to find healthy calorie high snacks that I can have to supplement that loss in calories.

I'm pretty active. 5 gym visits a week. Normally 6 or 7 days of some type of cardio so I know I'm burning a lot of calories by all that physical activity but I don't eat a lot for dinner or lunch so think that contributed to my weight loss as well. Basically just not taking in enough calories vs what I burn.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:14 AM

Peanut butter isn't a really high source of protein for the amount of fat and calories you're getting. It would be okay to have a filling, high protein snack after your workout. Food isn't the enemy--your body needs the fuel to work out and get through your day, but if you feel deprived, you won't be able to stick to a strict meal plan. A lot of people sabotage their diet and fitness by restricting so much that they start obsessing, which might lead to binging, and then that leads to another cycle of restriction and binging. If you're trying to be truly healthy, that's not it.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Peanut butter isn't a really high source of protein for the amount of fat and calories you're getting. It would be okay to have a filling, high protein snack after your workout. Food isn't the enemy--your body needs the fuel to work out and get through your day, but if you feel deprived, you won't be able to stick to a strict meal plan. A lot of people sabotage their diet and fitness by restricting so much that they start obsessing, which might lead to binging, and then that leads to another cycle of restriction and binging. If you're trying to be truly healthy, that's not it.
Thanks. I know that now after talking to some other people. Do you have a snack of choice for high protein? I've always been a picky eater so I am trying to branch out and I have gotten better the last couple years but still a long way to go.

Another problem too is I'd say 3 of the 7 days of the week for dinner I have a PBJ & Salad. Now that salad does include some packaged chicken, 1 cut up egg & ranch dressing (not healthy of course). But from what most people have told me that's not a lot overall for what people consider a dinner.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I know that now after talking to some other people. Do you have a snack of choice for high protein? I've always been a picky eater so I am trying to branch out and I have gotten better the last couple years but still a long way to go.
I know it has a bad rep, but I'm a fan of cottage cheese. You can have it sweet, with a handful of blueberries or pineapple. You can have it savory, with chopped veggies or salsa. You can even get some ranch powder or Italian seasoning to mix it in to use for dressing on your salads.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I know it has a bad rep, but I'm a fan of cottage cheese. You can have it sweet, with a handful of blueberries or pineapple. You can have it savory, with chopped veggies or salsa. You can even get some ranch powder or Italian seasoning to mix it in to use for dressing on your salads.
I like it with baked ziti!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss