Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the journey through the science of diet! We're diving deep to debunk common myths and uncover fascinating truths about what we eat and how it affects our bodies.

Carbs are the Enemy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 09:32 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Was there something you wanted to share with the class?

Old 10-25-2023, 09:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
LOL, yes. Oh, and anything that hasn't already been said here about "carbs" 100 times? Something new?

Old 10-25-2023, 11:11 AM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Too late. They’ve already been silenced by the government and big pharma. /s

Old 10-25-2023, 12:26 PM

25,553 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthcrafter View Post
Too late. They’ve already been silenced by the government and big pharma. /s
At this point it is like shouting into a hurricane. The message has been sent for so long and from so many sources that it will probably never change - plant based nutrition is better for people and better for the planet. The more educated and sophisticated you view yourself, the more you "know" that is a fact.

Government and pharma are joined by the food industry itself, who promotes "healthy alternatives" like vegetable shortening and vegetable oil. And who could resist?! All those healthy looking models and happy children on the cereal boxes couldn't just be nonsense.... could they?
Yeah. They are. Tony The Tiger and Frosted Flakes are not just a conspiracy used by food processors. The whole bit has been swallowed to the point where the manufacturers themselves feed the stuff to their children.

It's 1:30 PM where I live. My breakfast of pork chop and egg still keeps me satiated even though today was gym day and generally pretty busy. Maybe around 3 I'll feel like eating again. When I do I'll take some of that roast beef we made last night, put it on some cheese and call it lunch.
I'm 78. I did it wrong for a lot of years before I learned.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:14 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I recently started the low FODMAP elimination diet, designed to help figure out what foods cause gut problems for individuals.

Interestingly, meats and fats don't seem to trigger gut problems in anyone; the "dangerous" foods are all plants and dairy.

FODMAP stands for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols. Lactose, gluten, artificial sweeteners, a couple other categories.

But some plants don't generally cause gut problems; corn, rice, and many veggies.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:17 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
At this point it is like shouting into a hurricane. The message has been sent for so long and from so many sources that it will probably never change - plant based nutrition is better for people and better for the planet. The more educated and sophisticated you view yourself, the more you "know" that is a fact.
Except for when discussing oils / fats.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Trial and error, that is usually the route to finding a diet that works best for you.

Some people do great on a high-carb/low-fat/adequate-protein diet.....others
will crash and burn doing the same.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Carbs are only the enemy so much as they are addicting and cause excess calorie consumption. Calories in calories out generally is a good rule of thumb to follow.

Combining carbs and fats in the same food item triggers the dopamine receptors in the brain 2X to 3X which is why people enjoy donuts and pizza so much.

If you can cut out "processed foods" you will tend to lose weight because of their addictive nature (they also tend to add MSG derivatives to these items to make them even more addicting) and the fact they tend to be calorie dense, nutritionally void foods.

So there you go. Eat a meditarranean diet. Use common sense. Avoid processed foods.

There have been studies done 80 years ago that ultra high carb, ultra low fat diets can produce similar outcomes to ultra high fat, ultra low carb diets. Dietary fat causes an insulin resistance effect, so when you overeat fat and carbs in the same meal it tends to multiply the health consequences, increasing the chances of metabolic syndrome. You can prevent buildup of visceral fat by making sure you consume enough choline (found in egg yolks) and Betaine (found in whole wheat) ... these are methyl donors that help keep fat out of the liver and pancreas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thGgh6Zg-yc

Gluten free individuals who do not eat eggs (specifically the yolks) and are overweight are much more likely to suffer from metabolic syndrome and NAFLD because of the lack of both Choline and Betaine in their diets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGq7-asWQlg

Last edited by sholomar; 10-28-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-28-2023, 08:38 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Carbs are only the enemy so much as they are addicting and cause excess calorie consumption.
My carb intake caused my body to become diabetic.

Removing potatoes, wheat and rice from my diet has dropped my A1C and I am no longer diabetic.

Quote:
... So there you go. Eat a Mediterranean diet. Use common sense.
I lived in Southern Italy and shifted to that diet.

It made my Cholesterol levels shoot up too high, and I was directed to go onto statins to counter the Mediterranean diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss