Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 10:27 PM

50,883 posts, read 24,384,032 times

Advertisements

Just want you all to know that I am appreciating all the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 10:43 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times
I'm a parent of three daughters. All of whom went completely through the public school systems in Texas (2003-2016) and in Washington (2016 to present). Our youngest daughter is now a HS senior so we only have about 9 more weeks of being public school parents.

Our daughters also all attended or will attend public universities. Our oldest attended and graduated from an SEC school (she graduated HS in Texas and followed that well-worn path). Our middle daughter is a junior at UW, our flagship public university here in Washington and our youngest daughter is bound for Washington State in August.

I also got into teaching HS science as a second career at about age 39 after working 15 years as a marine fisheries biologist in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. My wife's career brought us to Texas where I changed careers to science teaching. I taught science for 9 years in Texas and another 7 years here in Washington. During that time I've taught every core science subject as well as all the AP science courses except the advanced 2nd year AP Physics C. With the youngest leaving home soon I don't know how much longer I'll keep it up. My wife is eager to retire from medicine and I'll probably follow her down that path so we can travel and do other things with the kids all gone.

So 39 years worth of having children in the public schools combined with 16 years of teaching in public schools is my background for commenting on education.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:51 AM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am curious if you:

a. currently have children in the public school system
b. had children in the public school system in the past
c. never had kids in the public school system
d. have or had kids in private schools
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum
I have kids who are currently attending public schools.

I am happy with the quality of their schools. In fact, I relocated years ago mainly to live in a school district with higher ratings.

I spend time on this forum to read and share opinions about education, which is one of the most important aspects of a person’s life.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:06 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,332,580 times
My kids attended excellent public schools in Colorado Springs. We selected the neighborhood nearby the Air Force Academy. Many neighbors were affiliated with the academy. In fact, my neighbor taught calculus in the engineering school there. I had emphasized the importance of education to my children and actively participated to ensure their success.

Now both have moved here to the Bay Area and my grandkids attend an excellent public school in Lafayette.

Education makes anything possible.

I read this forum to learn about other opinions. I spent too much of my life in a bubble.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:21 AM

50,883 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My kids attended excellent public schools in Colorado Springs. We selected the neighborhood nearby the Air Force Academy. Many neighbors were affiliated with the academy. In fact, my neighbor taught calculus in the engineering school there. I had emphasized the importance of education to my children and actively participated to ensure their success.

Now both have moved here to the Bay Area and my grandkids attend an excellent public school in Lafayette.

Education makes anything possible.

I read this forum to learn about other opinions. I spent too much of my life in a bubble.
Ah, I lived in COS for nearly a decade until just 5 years ago.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have a question for our regulars, and of course, nobody has to answer this...totally up to you.

I am curious if you:
a. currently have children in the public school system
b. had children in the public school system in the past
c. never had kids in the public school system
d. have or had kids in private schools
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum

Again, obviously, no one is required to answer.
a. No children currently in the public school system, but two granddaughters in public school.
b. Three children attended K-12 in public school.
d. Never had kids in private school
e. I've been subbing for 10 years and have a strong interest in education issues.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:33 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Well I was teacher and when I opened so very many topics in this particular Forum I saw so very much stupid being posted as gospel by people who hadn't sat in a classroom since they (supposedly) graduated from high school.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:42 AM

6,155 posts, read 4,531,061 times
No kids, but I went to public school.
I believe in the public school system.
I work in a public school.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:05 AM

8,086 posts, read 7,457,899 times
a. No
b. No
c. Yes
d. Yes -- our two sons attended Catholic school, pre-K thru 12. Our local Catholic school is a Diocesan school, which has largely replaced the old parish schools.
e. I joined in November 2011 the day after the Bishop came down from Scranton, gathered a select group of involved parents, and threatened to close our school. The new building had been built just before the Crash and had a large mortgage. Post Crash, a lot of people pulled their kids out because they could no longer afford tuition, and the viability of the school was in doubt. Parents, many of whom were "movers and shakers" in the community, were challenged to come up with a plan to keep the school open. I wanted to participate in an online forum where education issues were being discussed at a grass-roots level, and I found C-D. Education affects us all, so I've stayed even though our younger son graduated HS in 2016.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,086,468 times
I have one child in public schools and have taught in public schools for a little over a decade.

I'm here because it's an interesting window into the views of a different demographic (older, more conservative).

Last edited by history nerd; 04-15-2024 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education