Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM

136 posts, read 292,292 times

Advertisements

After learning that El Paso is a Hispanic-dominated city I was wondering if there is any discrimination faced by the Caucasian minority?

I ask this question because my sister visited the city on a business trip and told me that El Paso is more Mexican than American and that the Mexican residents tend to treat the Caucasians like outsiders. In addition, she also mentioned that many of the Hispanic residents seem to proclaim themselves as Mexican first and don't want anything to do with America.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM

53 posts, read 187,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
After learning that El Paso is a Hispanic-dominated city I was wondering if there is any discrimination faced by the Caucasian minority?

I ask this question because my sister visited the city on a business trip and told me that El Paso is more Mexican than American and that the Mexican residents tend to treat the Caucasians like outsiders. In addition, she also mentioned that many of the Hispanic residents seem to proclaim themselves as Mexican first and don't want anything to do with America.

Is this true?
MDonaldson..... it might be easy to get an answer to your question, however, you might first want to find out if the people in El Paso are originally from El Paso or Juarez or have come from the outside. The El Paso/Juarez area has received a lot of transit peoples from different parts of the world in their quest to come into the United States. With them come their beliefs, customs, and their pride. Mainly because that's all they have with them because the rest of their belongings were left behind wherever they came from. Original El Pasoans or Juarenzes are warmer people and will welcome anyone and everyone. Maybe that's why there are so many transients.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:

Is this true?

Yes there's discrimination -- the worst kind is the job discrimination -- people who speak English have limited opportunities to work here. Some social discrimination, people who speak no Spanish will often complain how workplace converstations are in Spanish -- and Americans will sometimes feel excluded -- of course this bothers the type who want to be included or who at least want to know what others are talking about. Some people don't care so it doesn't bother them.

It depends a lot on what side of town or neighborhood or particular workplace. You can be in a workplace where 3/4 of the people are directly from Mexico but another workplace may be less so. You can find yourself with neighbors who are exclusively from Juarez, or they might be from a variety of regions of Mexico, or you may live in one of the more American enclaves and have black, Pakistani, Chinese, German and others in your neighborhood. Where El Paso is mixed, it's actually quite diverse and harmonious.

There are American hispanics here also, some who have a family history of military service, and some who speak no Spanish and mingle with other Americans. If you live in certain neighborhoods, you could think you were in Mexico.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,951,402 times
Well Said MAL, I have nothing more to add to your great statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes there's discrimination -- the worst kind is the job discrimination -- people who speak English have limited opportunities to work here. Some social discrimination, people who speak no Spanish will often complain how workplace converstations are in Spanish -- and Americans will sometimes feel excluded -- of course this bothers the type who want to be included or who at least want to know what others are talking about. Some people don't care so it doesn't bother them.

It depends a lot on what side of town or neighborhood or particular workplace. You can be in a workplace where 3/4 of the people are directly from Mexico but another workplace may be less so. You can find yourself with neighbors who are exclusively from Juarez, or they might be from a variety of regions of Mexico, or you may live in one of the more American enclaves and have black, Pakistani, Chinese, German and others in your neighborhood. Where El Paso is mixed, it's actually quite diverse and harmonious.

There are American hispanics here also, some who have a family history of military service, and some who speak no Spanish and mingle with other Americans. If you live in certain neighborhoods, you could think you were in Mexico.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,229 times
Quote:

Is this true?
It's no different in El Paso than any other American city, every city does the same to spanish speaking people so in El Paso we (spanish speaking people) tend to hold our ground, so the shoe's in the other foot here but the people here dont treat outsiders as worst at spanish speaking people would be treated in other places where their numbers are very few and are considered illegals which is more often the case.

I dont find that to be true about Hispanics proclaiming themselfs as Mexican first, unless they are Mexican Nationals whom now live in the areas of the United States that once belonged to Mexico but were taken away from Mexico, these people still claim their stollen lands as theres, sometimes I really dont blame them for making their claim.

Last edited by HIGH!Lonesome; 06-20-2008 at 04:56 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM

18 posts, read 63,127 times
Default Locolobo's Thoughts

Hmm, well here a little info about me. I'm a one of the many gringos (White Guys) in El Paso. I don't feel like a outsider. I speak and understand a fair amount of Spanish. Only a handfull of times have I caught somebody talking about me in Spanish. And then they were normally not from around here. So for the most part people here, like most southern people are polite. The only time I have seen something become a Mexican issue is when somebody makes it into one. Most El Paso people are true Americans. They are proud of their Mexican heritage, as they should be. I'm of German heritage and I'm proud of that. But to say that a true residant of El Paso doesn't want anything to do with America. I will answer that with this question: Why are they in America if it is so bad? Well America not perfect but it beats the place they come from whether it's Germany or Mexico.

Quote:

Is this true?

Last edited by locolobo1234; 06-20-2008 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: Misspelled

Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,229 times
Why are they in America? is a good question but I dont think that real El Pasoans practice anti American traits since most are very patriotic, but every now and then you will meet someone like Timothy Mc Veigh, only they are Mexican.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Quote:

Is this true?
they left a *hithole and wont align themselves with their new homeland. This is something I can never figure out.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post

I dont find that to be true about Hispanics proclaiming themselfs as Mexican first, unless they are Mexican Nationals whom now live in the areas of the United States that once belonged to Mexico but were taken away from Mexico, these people still claim their stollen lands as theres, sometimes I really dont blame them for making their claim.
Stolen? There was a war which we won very easily and some parts were bought with good old american $ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And asides the time frame that Mexico held these "stolen" lands after Spain gave them up is very small. Moreover, these lands were Indian, something of which modern Mexicans are NOT!
So which ever way you look at the case, it is anything but stolen! Furthermoe, for you to sympathize with them makes the point that even some mexican-americans might align themselves with Mexico if they had to. This is exactly what the OP is talking about.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,983 times
I agree with alot of the statements that original residents from ELP and J-town are the most polite. I see that alot. When I left ELP for ATX I learned to be a proud Texan as well as an American Citizen. When I go to ELP now people kinda frown when they see me wear a Texas or USA pride t-shirt. I am not forgoing my original heritage and I honor that by still speaking spanish and declaring I am a mexican (not a puerto rican, italian, cuban like other mexicans do around here).

I see alot of mexican flags especially when Mexico plays USA in Soccer. ELP should never forget they are still part of Texas. Maybe that is why ATX lawmakers leave ELP out of alot funding and preference? My guess I may be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso