Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM

56 posts, read 142,460 times

Advertisements

I know it's a bit vauge, but I was wondering if someone knew who owned the mountains in West Texas. I know there's 2 national parks and a state park. Is the rest all private? I can't tell from maps that I have seen.

I also figured the El Paso Forum would be the closest.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,661 times
Good question, I've wondered that myself about certain hills and mountains here and there. I would figure the U.S. Gov't -Bureau of Land Mgt. - a has big role.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Public lands in Texas amount to 1.9 percent of total land area. Compare that to 48 percent of land in New Mexico that remains in the public domain. So when in Texas, it's best to assume you're on private land if you don't know for sure. Public lands are mostly contained within State or Federal Parks, forest preserves and military installations and all are amply posted/identified locally.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Public lands in Texas amount to 1.9 percent of total land area. Compare that to 48 percent of land in New Mexico that remains in the public domain. So when in Texas, it's best to assume you're on private land if you don't know for sure. Public lands are mostly contained within State or Federal Parks, forest preserves and military installations and all are amply posted/identified locally.

Why would you assume to be on private land in Texas again? 1.9% owned by public would have me assume it's Government owned and not privately owned.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,763 times
I have a friend whose family owns some land with mountains on it. I would say it is all private if it isn't owned by the govt.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I'll be moving to Texas (Austin) most likely in the fall so I've been curious and I've doing research. (Although the West Texas mtns are FAR from Austin).

Obviously you have Big Bend and Guadalupe Mtns Nat. Park.

Adjacent to Big Bend NP, you have Big Bend Ranch St. park.

In the Davis Mtns: You have the state park and the fort historical site (both small areas).

More recently however the Nature Conservancy has purchased and placed easements on over 30,000 acres of the Davis Mtns (which I believe have the most forest of all the mtn ranges in W. Texas). Access is still somewhat limited to move of TNC land.

There are several wildlife management areas (with no facilities, and I believe require a small fee to access).

Other than that there are the Franklin Mtns right next to El Paso (one of the largest state parks right next to a city that size.

I do hope to get to Big Bend and Guadalupe sometime. They are beautiful and wild. Like Texas's answer to Wyoming Yellowstone and Tetons!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM

195 posts, read 657,898 times
Exactly

Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
I own a mountain. 40 acres going up it and surrounding base area. Prime hunting. $60,000 - 40 ac

We it bought some 10 years ago . It's EAst of El Paso, Hudspeth county, Seirra Blanco mountains. 40 acres.

Contact CLAY at [email]dognkatclay@aol.com[/email] attention property If interested. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso